Briton93

USA Today HS Super 25 Helmets

As promised, here is the first of a few additional helmets uncovered for Bishop Gorman.  They wore this gray helmet in the second round of the playoffs against Las Vegas Centennial.

K0D5vOx.jpg

The logo on the Katy Tigers helmet is close, but not quite exact. Graduated from Katy. Great job all the way around.

Would like to offer up some insight on Katy. While they have numerous teams as listed in a previous reply, they do combine the JV's teams together when playing against another JV. The same holds true with the sophomore team. Most schools have a split freshman squad but if not, the same holds true here. What most people do not realize is when the playoffs roll around, a good majority of those underclassmen travel with the team. Think we had close to 95 players travel this past season.They however, do not get decals applied to their helmets. We refer to them as "whiteheads" LOL. The reason that they travel, is because they all put in the work to continue the tradition that has been built there. As a side note, Katy does not have the largest student enrollment in their district. They are about middle of the pack in the terms of student numbers. The school district alignment keeps these numbers down because with each new school added to the district, they have to pull from somewhere. The area that goes to Katy cannot expand anymore for growth.

28 minutes ago, NeilRussell said:

The logo on the Katy Tigers helmet is close, but not quite exact. Graduated from Katy. Great job all the way around.

Thanks much for the feedback. I couldn't seem to find the true decal, so I drew this from scratch. Do you have something for future reference? If I do this again for the preseason 25, then it would be more authentic. 

No worries. The logo you have is similar to what a lot of people have. I would be happy to get you the correct one. Let me know how you of would like to go forward

Dig the work. Keep up the good job

Helmet style #6 (i.e., the variations sometimes were unique helmets, other times a decal changeout).

ANYWAY, chrome helmet, white decal, pretty reflection of the Rainbow Mountain Wilderness in the background of one of the nicest complexes in high school sports.

sRJy26F.jpg

On March 28, 2016 at 3:07 PM, NeilRussell said:

No worries. The logo you have is similar to what a lot of people have. I would be happy to get you the correct one. Let me know how you of would like to go forward

Dig the work. Keep up the good job

Just sent you a DM. Cheers. 

Two more helmets to wrap up the project. 

The first is a blue helmet with chrome white decal:

bM7gJZK.jpg

And the final helmet was worn in the playoffs, somewhat reminiscent of a Florida-style helmet:

kSBZlO7.jpg

I have to admit: after making the Hydrographics full-skin helmet, it feels like a bit of a let-down to finish the project with these two helmets. But ... I will soon be wrapping the contest on Twitter and Instagram to see which schools wins a concept helmet. I've already made three schools and will make at least three more. Concept helmets will probably roll out end of next week. Until then, thanks to all for the C&C on my first concept portfolio. 

As promised, here are some helmets to hopefully leave on a high note. 

Out of of the Super 25, I wanted to reward schools which drove interaction and traffic to my Instagram and Twitter accounts. In all, six schools (plus an at-large school picked randomly among my followers) each received concept helmets. 

Without further ado, here they are.  Up first, the randomly selected winner. It makes for a nice story: a 3-7 team, a player who recently lost his mother. I'm glad they liked the home/away concept. They are both in consideration to actually wear next season (note The Shoe in the reflection, where state championships are played):

v0MRm4d.png

As promised, here are some helmets to hopefully leave on a high note. 

Out of of the Super 25, I wanted to reward schools which drove interaction and traffic to my Instagram and Twitter accounts. In all, six schools (plus an at-large school picked randomly among my followers) each received concept helmets. 

Without further ado, here they are.  Up first, the randomly selected winner. It makes for a nice story: a 3-7 team, a player who recently lost his mother. I'm glad they liked the home/away concept. They are both in consideration to actually wear next season (note The Shoe in the reflection, where state championships are played):

v0MRm4d.png

Aquinas Institute of Rochester drove the most clicks despite only having one helmet for impressions.

NJKLrrG.png

Concept helmet for Corona Centennial. I had originally attempted a clone of U of Cincinnati's helmet, but Cinci has a more vertical logo which works better with the scratch marks. I had also considered making this a skin helmet with chrome underneath for the scratches, but that felt a bit too far fetched (particularly for a high school).

I6ivoUS.png

For Imhotep Charter, I took elements from Boise State's Ghost Horse and elements from the old Michigan Panthers logo.

vlMxNom.png

For IMG Academy, I continued with the chrome helmet but worked in a silhouette of the logo to contrast the blue and silver chrome.

obpJhjX.png

And finally ... The Bishop Gorman Gaels.

As someone with Gaelic ancestry, I had studied over the years about their evolution of combat. Their soldiers were known to buy and/or steal the best weaponry of the day. It seemed ideal that a team which wore ten different helmets last year bore the namesake of Gaels. 

Chainmail was rare in the era of Gaelic warriors, awarded to the best of the best. Also, a longstanding tradition of wearing primarily blue seemed like an opportunity to go deeper into th teams secondary colors of blue and silver. 

With that, I give you the helmet of the Gaels. Chainmail, battle scars, chrome decals and facemask to accentuate the helmet imagery. 

I believe it's now a wrap. Thanks for your feedback. Would love to hear any additional C&C for my first project.

yW5qD8x.png

On 3/17/2016 at 7:59 AM, Briton93 said:

Second-to-last helmet for Bishop Gorman. Black Matte shell, chrome decals and stripes, two-tone facemask, and note the back of helmet. I thought it was interesting how they placed the players' last names on the helmet and left the jersey blank. Featured name is Tate Martell, QB who is committed to Texas A&M. 

mkNfUfU.jpg

Funny how much changes in less than a year. Martell decommitted from A&M and then committed to Ohio State. 

13 hours ago, Briton93 said:

Funny how much changes in less than a year. Martell decommitted from A&M and then committed to Ohio State. 

Yeah that was cuz there were 3 QBs committed to A&M. Martell, Kellen Mond (from IMG Academy) and Connor Blumrick (from Pearland HS), Jeez They are all Dual Threat type QBs which Aggies were looking for. 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/194/class/2017/page/offers/sort/pos/order/true You can see Ohio State's offers to 4 QBs so you really can tell that he is the only QB that committed to OSU as far as of right now til the Signing Day.