Creating a Middle School Athletic Identity

Howie_16

Greetings all.  I haven't posted in a while, but I visit this site often.

I wanted to ask for some feedback.  I am hoping to win an internal job competition for the Athletic Director and Phys Ed. Head at a brand new middle school.  Part of the start up will be to create an identity, specifically picking colours, logo and team name.

While I don't want to just copy a pro sports team like other schools, there is a specific identity out there that I am considering using as a starting point if I land the position.  I was wondering what the protocol should be if I pursue this?  I plan on asking the organization for their blessing, but is there any other steps I should take?

Another question would be if the organization has folded and is no longer operating.  What should I do if I use a logo that is no longer being used as inspiration?  Thanks in advance for your responses!

something easy too have multiple versions of, because everybody is going to want something different for their specific program. So you'll want something that has nice, kid-friendly versions, and more fierce athletic versions.

There's also two distinct directions you could go on this: you're the little-brother/sister of the High School(s) you feed into, or you're completely distinct. 

I think it's cool when middle schools have a kind of feed-into the high school, you're Cubs, and then you graduate up to Bears or Bruins. That kind of thing.  Copying the same colors would also be a good thing, because then school spirit gear is that much easier and more consistent.

All I know is don't be the Cougars. The last County I worked for, it seemed that EVERY middle school was the Cougars, to the point where it was truly annoying. I don't know how they had games, because it had to be Cougars vs Cougars most games of the season

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Great suggestion with the feeder school name, although the identity I'm looking at will be distinct to both the high schools the students would feed into.  I've actually have applied to 2 different middle schools that open in September, so if I get one of them, it is something that should work at either location.

• 4 weeks later...

My recommendation is that you don't and that instead you throw a couple bucks to one of the many designers here to create original content.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

28 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/forum/46-concepts/

Read through the concept forum, and you will see.

I am very aware and often impressed by the work posted in the Concept Forum.  My question is what can one expect to receive in return for what range of $?  A jpeg image?  A vector file?  I wouldn't be sure of what to ask for...

15 hours ago, Howie_16 said:

I am very aware and often impressed by the work posted in the Concept Forum.  My question is what can one expect to receive in return for what range of $?  A jpeg image?  A vector file?  I wouldn't be sure of what to ask for...

Depends on the designer that takes on the work. I'm sure they will send you multiple file formats of whatever design you want based on your needs (PDF, PNG, vector, etc)

Can't answer that for sure until you find someone that is willing to complete the work for you. Everyone has a different price based on their skill so it is difficult to come up with an estimate. I believe there is a request thread here that will answer all of those questions if you post the project there and just how much work you need done.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Archived