Alt-History 1960's-70's Soccer as America's Pastime! Logos! Kits! 3D Stadiums! Thrills! (4/12-NYCFC done!)

Thazer

This retro-alternate universe doohickey deletes baseball and makes soccer America's national pastime. The AFA American Football Association (1884) was a real organization that flamed out in the early 20th century, but not here! Lots of actual baseball history is used to fill up the AFA's back story.

Stadiums are gonna be made in 3D with Sketchup and rendered in Visualizer!

201603-AFA-1st-division.jpg

201603-AFA-1st-division.jpg

There's the setup for the 1st division. Promotion/relegation within the 4 divisions.

Clubs and stadiums are inspired by a regions baseball history. Naming of the grounds follows the old British style of using the local area or a main street. Club names are all over the place because this league absorbed two other leagues that had their own naming conventions. The Western teams are mostly based off the real pre-1958 Pacific Coast League.

Because there's promotion/relegation this table just represents a moment in time (...more like my to-do list....).

201603-AFA-LOGO.jpg

201603-AFA-LOGO.jpg

There's the AFA logo wacky tunnelvison process work.

First row set was trying to incorporate the American eagle and a 1 (as in 1st Division) into something.

The overall idea was trying for a sleek art-deco bald eagle logo, which turned into an epic struggle to avoid anything boy london-ish . Each wing represents the East/West clubs.

..........aaaaand i've just saw theres already an epic concept topic using the AFA name. well. damn.

onwards! facepalm.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

Completed clubs:

3/27 - FCNY

201603-FCNY-c.1973-01.jpg

4/12 - NYCFC

201603-NYCFC-c.1973-01.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awesome. Just after reading all the team names, I understood the baseball references; all the teams in the 'western conference' or whatever you call it, are all named after teams from the PCL and they have 'American names' while the easties got the Euro names. And of course the rest.... 

One i thing I noticed is you have 13 red dots and 10 blue dots. annnnnnnnd you only have 10 red dot teams names 

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

On 3/21/2016 at 6:20 PM, CodeG said:

One i thing I noticed is you have 13 red dots and 10 blue dots. annnnnnnnd you only have 10 red dot teams names 

.....yup.  detroit philly and KC get bumped to 2nd division now.

so sad. yet happily fixed.

201603-FCNY-highbridge02.jpg

201603-FCNY-highbridge02.jpg

yay! more progress. checking if the component joins seamlessly.

I've followed your work on the Baseball Fever forum, and your stadium designs are nothing short of amazing.  This is no exception.  The logos also look very period-appropriate, great start to the series!

QPR%20Sig.png

Hey thanks for the cool words everyone! way more progress. looks like a stadium now

201603-FCNY-highbridge05.jpg

press/luxury box and lights.

201603-FCNY-highbridge06.jpg

....highbridge!

201603-FCNY-highbridge07.jpg

from the stands

201603-FCNY-highbridge08.jpg

aerial

real deal comparison with above....

p792629531-3.jpg

i need to figure out the ends. i wanna work with the weird street angle and do something with it.

8 hours ago, Commodore Crablegs said:

Hey thanks for the cool words everyone! way more progress. looks like a stadium now

press/luxury box and lights.

....highbridge!

from the stands

aerial

real deal comparison with above....

p792629531-3.jpg

i need to figure out the ends. i wanna work with the weird street angle and do something with it.

Problaby the best topic in this forum

whereicomefrom.png

Archived