Alt-History 1960's-70's Soccer as America's Pastime! Logos! Kits! 3D Stadiums! Thrills! (4/12-NYCFC done!)

Thazer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BetweenThePipes said:

Maybe you could take more cues from the Yankees and put a museum in the stadium. Just an Idea.

Great work though, I'm loving this thread!

i've been thinking about this...1973 seems a bit early for custom built/dedicated team history space, but i wonder if there's on field football examples of what the old baseball parks did?

yankee stadium on field monuments

9-26-2013-7-06-39-PM-500x281.jpg

polo grounds memorials around the distance marker

willie-mays.jpg

and i definitely appreciate the kind words, guys!

As a fan of the sport myself I can say I have never seen stuff like this in football stadiums, it's one of the unique baseball things that makes me love that sport as well. But it can be that I'm wrong, let me suggest you take a look at thoss old-football pictures blogs on tumblr, cant name any on the top of my head but there are plenty, I'm sure some old school english grounds will give you enough inspiration and references. Cheers

im still giving that some thought, probably something near a players portal i need to build in one of the stands. meanwhile.... to try to keep this place looking like 1973, im generating some actual period ads and a scoreboard for the ends

201603-FCNY-highbridge-1973ads.jpg

201603-FCNY-highbridge-1973ads.jpg

,,,based off these shots:

Old%2BYankee%2BStadium%2BPre%2BRenovatio

Old%2BYankee%2BStadium%2BPre%2BRenovatio

im not actually sure what type football stats would go onto a baseball style scoreboard.... thats my best effort just winging it!

Le_Yankee_Stadium.jpg

How about making one end with the home plate entrance but make it almost like this one with no edge sides seating inside the stadium. However, at the other end make the scoreboard like that back of Yankee's stadium with less seats.

146454872.0.jpg

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

yup, and those who follow the actual yankees would know this as the river ave. end!

201603-FCNY-highbridge09.jpg

201603-FCNY-highbridge09.jpg

as far as stadium conventions go, i think i wanna make the ends of each park equivalent to baseball bleachers. no roof, standing only areas for working class fans.

standing areas means there's gonna be a lot of an element old-school football fans knew well...

this is the actual yankee stadium land plot im dealing with!

201603-FCNY-highbridge10.jpg

201603-FCNY-highbridge10.jpg

im thinking that empty area is a mighty nice place to drop a standing terrace kop in....

btw there are already 28,112 seats in the 2 main stands. this is easily a 60,000 stadium.

i need to have some unique architectural rules or these places gonna end up looking like generic McStadiums

A standing kop may go well there. As far as being unique, I would suggest having the kop as far from the pitch as possible, using that further irregular-shaped area. Between this and the pitch just use plain cement, I can picture kids playing football behind that goal during games just like old-school south american stadiums.

1 hour ago, OlavoP said:

A standing kop may go well there. As far as being unique, I would suggest having the kop as far from the pitch as possible, using that further irregular-shaped area. Between this and the pitch just use plain cement, I can picture kids playing football behind that goal during games just like old-school south american stadiums.

I'm having trouble conceptualizing this. Have any examples? ....oh were these stadiums with oval racing tracks? Cause that's the only reason I can think to have a ton of dead space there, like old Wembley or old Stamford bridge.

12 hours ago, Commodore Crablegs said:

I'm having trouble conceptualizing this. Have any examples? ....oh were these stadiums with oval racing tracks? Cause that's the only reason I can think to have a ton of dead space there, like old Wembley or old Stamford bridge.

Some of them where, yes. Let me try to show you my idea. The stands would be where I marked red and the cement part where I marked blue:
QIxoIN2.png

Something like this but with the fence way closer to the pitch:
TNJjrm4.jpgRZyMUaM.jpg?1

And that's what I meant with the kids part:
http://elcomercio.pe/deporte-total/futbol-mundial/conmovedor-nino-muletas-se-divierte-jugando-al-futbol-video-noticia-1862095

I think that with that format of stands and that big "gap" where people could also stand to see the game, the stadium would feel unique.

On 3/24/2016 at 11:40 AM, StaatsBrett said:

Maybe  for Detroit  a retractable  roof or field

i actually have a retractable roof in mind that might pass a technology 'smell test' for a 1930's era stadium......

On 3/24/2016 at 0:42 PM, OlavoP said:

Some of them where, yes. Let me try to show you my idea. The stands would be where I marked red and the cement part where I marked blue:
QIxoIN2.png

And that's what I meant with the kids part:
http://elcomercio.pe/deporte-total/futbol-mundial/conmovedor-nino-muletas-se-divierte-jugando-al-futbol-video-noticia-1862095

I think that with that format of stands and that big "gap" where people could also stand to see the game, the stadium would feel unique.

yea without a running track creating the gap im not so sure...

actually while struggling to find a real world reason why a team would keep that area undeveloped... i think that solves the monument location issue! i can totally see a club keeping an area open for a previously placed memorial area and not wanting to move it after a expansion/renovation.

oh yea, the first of maaaaaany vintage crush barriers:

201603-FCNY-highbridge11.jpg

201603-FCNY-highbridge11.jpg

201603-FCNY-highbridge14.jpg

201603-FCNY-highbridge14.jpg

well thats the view of 'monument row' from the last seat in the 3rd deck.

funny i thought this end would be huge like liverpools or hillsboroughs kops....oh well :wacko:

also, i figured out now how to link these pics to the actual large files on photobucket, so from now on at least more details can be seen... if thats worth it to ya!

ill work backwards and link up the older photos the same way soon.

im pretty much done with FCNY (c.1973) so there should be a team capsule shortly that gives fake historical context to this madness.

As an architect who uses SketchUp on a fairly regular basis, I must say that what you've been able to do with the program is very impressive.  I'm excited to see what your creativity and talents have in store for us next!

QPR%20Sig.png

This thread reminds me so much of my fictional baseball series that I did a couple years back, doing stadiums alongside the teams.

I can relate that the stadiums are very time-consuming to do, either hand-drawn (as mine are) or digitized; I eventually didn't have time to finish at least a third of my teams' stadiums, though. Yours are way too cool, and feel free to use any of my stadiums as inspirations in making each stadium unique! :)

FCNY (c.1973) 'Yankees'

Highbridge, East 161st Street & River Avenue (28,112 seats/~60,000 total capacity)

FCNY are one of the original AFA clubs and historically one of the most successful, though initially they struggled as tenants of the NYCFC club in Manhattan. An exhibition tour of England just before WW1 was influential for the club as it gave them their (unofficial) nickname and provided the necessary experience to dominate the league in the 1910's. Three top FCNY footballers were killed during the war and the club experienced relegation. New ownership with deep pockets took the club over in 1923 and moved them to their own new field in the Bronx. With them came 'monument row', which originally honored the fallen soldiers but now includes other Yankee greats who have passed on.

The 'Yankees' main regional rivals are NYCFC and FC Boston. A rivalry also exists with the LA 'Angels'. When the PCL joined the AFA, there was considerable doubt whether the quality of play in the West was comparable with the AFA. Two consecutive cup wins by the Angels against FCNY legitimatized the merger.

201603-FCNY-c.1973-01.jpg

201603-FCNY-c.1973-01.jpg

Bronx Courthouse peeking over the River Ave. end

201603-FCNY-c.1973-02.jpg

201603-FCNY-c.1973-02.jpg

'Monument Row' at the Doughty St. end.

201603-FCNY-c.1973-03.jpg

201603-FCNY-c.1973-03.jpg

thats Highbridge

201603-FCNY-c.1973-04.jpg

201603-FCNY-c.1973-04.jpg

thats another picture of Highbridge (which technically isn't in Highbridge....)

Archived