Alt-History 1960's-70's Soccer as America's Pastime! Logos! Kits! 3D Stadiums! Thrills! (4/12-NYCFC done!)

Thazer

12 hours ago, Darknes said:

I'm curious to see how you blend Fenway into a stadium.

As a Red Sox fan I'm also curious, really hope FC Boston comes next.

----

Overall, great job on FCNY, this is a very promising series, and the history of the league itself is something I'll also have to look forward as it goes on.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/27/2016 at 7:28 AM, Moser316 said:

As an architect who uses SketchUp on a fairly regular basis, I must say that what you've been able to do with the program is very impressive.  I'm excited to see what your creativity and talents have in store for us next!

....wow!....at least one us is an a actual pro at this :lol:

On 3/27/2016 at 11:33 AM, TheGiantsFan said:

This thread reminds me so much of my fictional baseball series that I did a couple years back, doing stadiums alongside the teams.

I can relate that the stadiums are very time-consuming to do, either hand-drawn (as mine are) or digitized; I eventually didn't have time to finish at least a third of my teams' stadiums, though. Yours are way too cool, and feel free to use any of my stadiums as inspirations in making each stadium unique! :)

good stuff there! including the whole friggin street grid.

yea im actually starting to get burned out already,  because when i do stuff like this i over analyze it to death. case in point:

On 3/28/2016 at 6:56 PM, Darknes said:

I'm curious to see how you blend Fenway into a stadium.

On 3/28/2016 at 7:42 AM, OlavoP said:

As a Red Sox fan I'm also curious, really hope FC Boston comes next.

....so am i!

it seems kinda natural the way Fenway is laid out, but the fine line between homage and cornball is tough. trying to come up a practical reason for a green monster wall in a soccer context is annoying the hell outta me!

but whatever....

oh yeah, somehow there's still a new old stadium comin your way!

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield01.jpg

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield01.jpg

.....in the beginning there was just this ole pavilion......

"it seems kinda natural the way Fenway is laid out, but the fine line between homage and cornball is tough. trying to come up a practical reason for a green monster wall in a soccer context is annoying the hell outta me! "

Since the Monster now carries signage for things like the Jimmy Fund and scores you can always think of placing somethign to show championships. Instead of pennants place a trophy similar to what Arsenal does at the Emirates, or "Soccer Championship Name" and the years won running underneath it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It looks like the green monster was originally built as a combination scoreboard and advertising wall with a small seating section in front of it. That and too keep spectators who did not pay from watching the game. There is a street that runs right behind it as well. On a soccer field, it could serve a similar purpose and history. The green monster lost the advertisements and became green in 1947 when it was 35 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Monster#/media/File:Green_Monster_1914.jpg

http://boston.sportsthenandnow.com/2010/07/01/the-history-of-the-green-monster/

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

I see you're blending at least two eras of the Polo Grounds for this one, your designs have been very similar to how British football stadia were developed over their lifespans.  It works to great effect here, the two eras actually meld together pretty well.

QPR%20Sig.png

13 hours ago, XenonDesigns said:

I just stared at that for at least 10 minutes just admiring it. :o

....so... thats why i'm doing this insanity

*random tangent*

I'm trying to capture a moment in time where tradition and history are still important but (in real life) about to fall hard. The old stadiums which were built over time...that generations grew up with will be demolished, adidas will swoop in for league uniform contracts, ads will appear on them, etc....but not here!

*/random tangent*

5 hours ago, Moser316 said:

I see you're blending at least two eras of the Polo Grounds for this one, your designs have been very similar to how British football stadia were developed over their lifespans.  It works to great effect here, the two eras actually meld together pretty well.

Whoa you know your stuff! Yup.

A huge influence was Sheffields old Bramall Lane. Pretty sad what happened to the main pavilion.
fcb181bdd60751032375b997eb11420f.jpg

Instead of incorporating it into the expansion.....

Heritage1_243773c.jpg

.... it ended up in the parking lot(!).....

s28753.jpg

..... then demolished. <_<

...buuuuut there's artistic justice in the world, so you peeps get this:

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield03.jpg

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield03.jpg

...and this:

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield04.jpg

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield04.jpg

FYI, curved stands is the worst thing ever! Or is it fitting every seat into the curved stands....yea that must be it.

For those acquainted with the silly ways of the old Polo Grounds, you'll know i'll have an epic architectural battle with missing parts of this stadium. oh goodie!

..oh yea, all the lower links under the photos should finally...and actually, go to the full size pic at photobucket.

also im working on the kit for NYCFC but its just not clicking. i'll prob need C&C on it.

Guest darkpiranha

This is some amazing stuff to drop on us right out of the gate!  Slow down!  You're making the rest of us look lazy...

hah!

the only soul sucking work were building up the initial textures and components (posts,seats, girders). Once those are done they can be reused and modified. Then its just a matter of keeping the designs unique.

detail shot from box seats showing that practically everything are flat planes

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield05.jpg

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield05.jpg

view from the standing room area (or..coogans bluff end)

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield06.jpg

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield06.jpg

not actually being an architect im having trouble with some elements, but ill hammer it out soon. ;)

here's nycfc's kit

201603-NYCFC-KIT.jpg

201603-NYCFC-KIT.jpg

i'm happy with the logo, its the logo sorta clashing with the sash im worrying about. sashes over the left shoulder look wierd to me, and ive never seen a crest on the other side of the chest. the vibe im going for is for an uber conservative team, so i really want the sash for that old timey-ness.

....yea fenway. you guys will love or hate what i have in mind for the monster.

me being a LA native has absolutely nothing to do with it.

whatever 'it' would be.

The sash needs to be flipped on the backs of the jerseys, unless you intend them not to be continuous from front to back.

This thread is a lot of fun. As a matter of fact, this is the first thread I've ever subscribed to. Keep up the good work!

11 hours ago, OlavoP said:

I have no problem with the sash at all, love the kits. Only complaint about them is the outline for the numbers, I think white would look better, at least on the white kit

i dig. also i think the color orange photographs strangely in b&w photos depending on the filter(?) so a contrasting outline would be a must back in a day.

5 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

The sash needs to be flipped on the backs of the jerseys, unless you intend them not to be continuous from front to back.

This thread is a lot of fun. As a matter of fact, this is the first thread I've ever subscribed to. Keep up the good work!

wow! glad you caught that. my tunnel vision is ridiculous at this point :wacko:

and thanks for the kind words everyone. i dunno about other tortured artist types, but i feed on interaction so all comments are welcome by me. The crits too.

.so, a little nip and tuck

201603-NYCFC-KIT-2.jpg

201603-NYCFC-KIT-2.jpg

...and rebuilding this

polo13980.jpg

...in ze digital multiverse

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield07.jpg

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield07.jpg

Archived