Alt-History 1960's-70's Soccer as America's Pastime! Logos! Kits! 3D Stadiums! Thrills! (4/12-NYCFC done!)

Thazer

weeeeeee i finally hammered out the curved parts of the stands

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield08.jpg

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield08.jpg

seems simple enough, but keeping the support posts equal distances so the roof panels didn't seem squished together was. not. fun.

also i had to drop the field level down to make the multi-tiered clockhouse stands work. before this, the field was above the first rows of the stands cause it seemed neat and old school. derby county's old baseball grounds had this this type of deal:

bbg.jpg

oh well.

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield09.jpg

201603-NYCFC-manhattanfield09.jpg

press/lux boxes on this side. i just need to fill the place out with some period ads , make the team capsule and calls it a day

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, a few questions:

Are there deadly riots/crushes, like in English soccer at the time, or is the worst it gets Disco Demolition Night?

Will some of the Western teams have louder, more 70's (in US baseball) kits?

Which fanbases are the best/most devoted?  Which ones are loathed?

4 hours ago, Bulldog said:

OK, a few questions:

Are there deadly riots/crushes, like in English soccer at the time, or is the worst it gets Disco Demolition Night?

Will some of the Western teams have louder, more 70's (in US baseball) kits?

Which fanbases are the best/most devoted?  Which ones are loathed?

- naw, i dont see hoolaganism and lax stadium safety spawning in american sporting culture just cause its soccer.

Granted we've never had standing terraces, but bleacher seating functions similarly as general admission. heysel stadium, bradford city, and hillsborough all happened in the 80's. The american equivalents of these if they happened at all, were probably 100 yrs ago.

- yep. also looking into old ABA and NASL material for inspiration......

- you're the fanbase!

fictitious teams with fictitious stadiums are one thing. but fictitious fans is where i draw the line :lol:

1 minute ago, Commodore Crablegs said:

- naw, i dont see hoolaganism and lax stadium safety spawning in american sporting culture just cause its soccer.

Granted we've never had standing terraces, but bleacher seating functions similarly as general admission. heysel stadium, bradford city, and hillsborough all happened in the 80's. The american equivalents of these if they happened at all, were probably 100 yrs ago.

I thought more about it since I last posted.  I realized generally all walks of American life like their sports, whereas soccer was working class in UK until recently, so generally the elitism that authorities showed towards those events would be gone.  Plus, America wouldn't tolerate gangs of thugs at soccer games.  I do think there would be drunken spectacles like Disco Demolition Night, but in America you have a league that takes proactive steps to fight this stuff, not an absentee dad of a federation that lets incompetent cops who already think half the fans are criminals do the work.  Plus, American sports relied (and still rely) on middle class families.  Brit soccer relied on single, working class males.

11 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I thought more about it since I last posted.  I realized generally all walks of American life like their sports, whereas soccer was working class in UK until recently, so generally the elitism that authorities showed towards those events would be gone.  Plus, America wouldn't tolerate gangs of thugs at soccer games.

Plus, American sports relied (and still rely) on middle class families.  Brit soccer relied on single, working class males.

I've seen the argument that converting stadiums to all-seaters is why this changed. Less freedom of movement which made things safer, and less capacity... which drove up ticket costs, priced out the hooligans. It's nice for me here in LA to claim its something more cultural, but it may be as simple as that.

3 minutes ago, New York's Greatest said:

Love NYCFC! My only issue is the "C" I think a more original one needed and not the Chicago Bears 'C'

hahaha...of course in my universe the logo is as old as the stadium (which is victorian-era)!

cool article about it here

Uni Watch history lesson: the wishbone-C

4 minutes ago, Commodore Crablegs said:

I've seen the argument that converting stadiums to all-seaters is why this changed. Less freedom of movement which made things safer, and less capacity... which drove up ticket costs, priced out the hooligans. It's nice for me here in LA to claim its something more cultural, but it may be as simple as that.

hahaha...of course in my universe the logo is as old as the stadium (which is victorian-era)!

cool article about it here

Uni Watch history lesson: the wishbone-C

Fair enough. I gotta give that article a read now

13 hours ago, Commodore Crablegs said:

I think those helped, but those sort of things never happened here in part because of cultural factors.

Just seeing this thread for the first time. And, what you've done here, is nothing short of amazing. I LOVE seeing he progression of the stadiums as you work on them. And I also like the inclusion of the shots of the real world structures that inspire your work. I'll definitely keep a close eye on this thread. I'm incredibly excited to see what you come up with for the New Orleans team.

gYH2mW9.png

Wow, incredible... 

This is without a doubt the best concept series I have seen here in years!

The level of quality is amazing. I would love to see this used in a video game. Can't wait for more.

This is downright incredible. The stadium concepts are truly beautiful, and a very inspired idea. I've always wondered what American soccer stadiums would look like, and what kind of culture would've developed around soccer in this country, had it been more popular. Highbridge and Manhattan Field both would've been amazing places to take in a match. The character of each is just oozing from your concepts.

NYCFC (c.1973) 'City'
Manhattan Field, 155th Street and 8th Avenue (11,499 seats/~31,500 total capacity)

NYCFC are one of the original AFA clubs and it's first dynasty. They dominated the 1890's and early 20th century, at one point winning the league cup 11 straight seasons. Such was their dominance that it directly influenced their kit. At that time it was customary for the reigning champions to don a bold sash for road matches to advertise the visiting teams status to fans. Such was their confidence during their streak that NYCFC incorporated the sash as a permanent design feature of their kit. Once their domination had finally ended, the sash was so identified with 'City' that the tradition discontinued league wide. Since those glory years, City usually fields mediocre sides with brief moments of brilliance.

'City' counts FCNY as it's main rival for essentially taking the city from them, when they once were just their tenants. FC Boston is not far behind, being the club that generally has a tradition of spoiling Citys' periods of greatness. Despite this dour assessment, 'City' are the only 1st division club never to have been relegated, and their seemingly annual relegation battles are as much legend as their cup wins.

201603-NYCFC-c.1973-01.jpg

201603-NYCFC-c.1973-01.jpg

Advertising lovingly adorns the old pavilion and clubhouse.

201603-NYCFC-c.1973-02.jpg

201603-NYCFC-c.1973-02.jpg

Buildings peek over from coogans bluff.

201603-NYCFC-c.1973-03.jpg

201603-NYCFC-c.1973-03.jpg

that's manhattan field

201603-NYCFC-c.1973-04.jpg

201603-NYCFC-c.1973-04.jpg

that's manhattan field again.

NYCFC finished....weeeeeeeee..... whats next.....? :upside:

Guest darkpiranha

This is simply incredible.  I know I speak for everyone here when I demand that you record a how-to video of how you make these.  There's playing around with sketchup, and then there's this.  Show us how you do this, or don't show your face.  Is everyone with me?   Guys?

Doing this with SketchUp is super impressive. I am in the architecture industry as well, and one of my suggestions would be looking into Rhino 3D and rendering with V-Ray, might make your life easier. But if you are this good with SketchUp I don't see any reason to switch.

This is a fantastic series. Well done. I'll definitely be following this thread.

Guest darkpiranha
47 minutes ago, lopernv said:

Doing this with SketchUp is super impressive. I am in the architecture industry as well, and one of my suggestions would be looking into Rhino 3D and rendering with V-Ray, might make your life easier. But if you are this good with SketchUp I don't see any reason to switch.

Not having really played with Sketchup enough to evaluate what you said, but which program would you recommend for someone just starting out?  I'm mostly familiar with programs like Cinema 4D and all the Adobe products.  But I'm very interested in creating stadiums, or at least learning the process.  I probably would prefer the program that has the most pre-built assets available.  I don't think I'd want to create all the individual sections of seats like Crablegs has done here, at least at first.  

25 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Not having really played with Sketchup enough to evaluate what you said, but which program would you recommend for someone just starting out?  I'm mostly familiar with programs like Cinema 4D and all the Adobe products.  But I'm very interested in creating stadiums, or at least learning the process.  I probably would prefer the program that has the most pre-built assets available.  I don't think I'd want to create all the individual sections of seats like Crablegs has done here, at least at first.  

SketchUp, if you are just starting out. The SketchUp Warehouse has plenty of pre-built assets. 

Archived