Sign in to follow this  
Zeus89725

New York Islanders by Adidas

Hello all! After a short break to refill my inspiration, and a failed attempt at creating a WCH 2016 redesign, I'm back with a new personal logo, and a new concept for the New York Islanders.

First, some backstory. The Isles have a storied and long history, being formed in 1972 as a way for the NHL to keep the WHA out of New York. The team rose from being at the bottom of the standings to winning the Stanley Cup in less than 10 years, and won the trophy 4 times in a row, which is a feat that hasn't been accomplished in any major North American sports league since. The team's logo was rumored to have been designed by the owners' wives, then touched up by an official designer. The logo has a lot of meaning, with Long Island, a nod to the team's 4 Stanley Cups, 'NY' for New York, a hockey stick, and the team's name. The logo is a bit outdated, in my opinion. I went with a simplified version of the logo, that plays off of the Isles' current alternate logo.

56f1d6ed7785c_LogoPres.thumb.png.c0ed435

The uniforms are also somewhat designed off of the previous ones, but with a more modern and touched up feel. I added a shoulder yoke, and the "signature" Adidas armpit stripes. The alternate is the 2nd orange alternate the Islanders have worn, but the first with a traditional feel to it. The four blue stripes on the alternate call back to the team's 4th Stanley Cup.

56f1d7032f3a0_HomePres.thumb.png.9a3e543

56f1d723543f7_AwayPres.thumb.png.093ef92

56f1d739a0da5_AltPres.thumb.png.161f1f91

Let me know what you think!

I would make the primary logo's outline a bit thicker, also the primary logo does not work with the white jersey.

It just blends in to much, but I think if you thickened the outline you might be able to get away with it.

Other than that they look fine :)

Ok... Not your strongest attempt, but at least I can see that you put some effort in it.

Home jersey: Not bad, but pretty bland. The orange stripes on the sleeves are way too thin. No one is going to be able to distinguish them in motion. They need to be thicker.Some kind of shoulder yoke or even just a shoulder patch would go a long way, not to mention some numbers.

Road jersey: A little better design wise, but why on earth did you think putting a predominantly white logo on a white jersey was a good idea? It looks way too sterile and empty. Give it some life and color for goodness sake! It would look like an empty jersey on TV. Thank heavens you put a shoulder yoke on it otherwise it would die from boredom. There just isn't much going on here. Again, numbers would boost it up significantly. Some jerseys still look pretty strong without numbers, and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but this ain't one of them. I understand that you want to replicate what Adidas is doing to their other hockey jerseys, but the side stripes really hurt the concept.

Alternate jersey: It's better than your previous attempts, but still could use work. The white cuff extends way too far up the sleeve. It really shouldn't move up much farther than the blue stripes.

These are disgusting. Be more creative (use a different template) and please never let me see that ugly Adidas template again.

34 minutes ago, ZionEagle said:

I would make the primary logo's outline a bit thicker, also the primary logo does not work with the white jersey.

It just blends in to much, but I think if you thickened the outline you might be able to get away with it.

Other than that they look fine :)

Thanks for the actual response! It was the only advice I could take since everything else was "I HATE ADIDAS AND THAT LOGO THESE ARE AWFUL BLAHHH" rather than how to fix it.

I took the coherent advice and fixed what I could. I get the "No white-on-white" complaint but I just can't stand seeing this NY logo in anything but white. I don't know why, but it just doesn't look good.

The home and away's logo outlines nearly double. No striping changes.

56f1e29c3610c_HomePres.thumb.png.99213f6

56f1e1c566175_AwayPres.thumb.png.2137987

The alternate's white sleeves get a little toned down. I did go a little bit overboard on it.

56f1e1dc20ff2_AltPres.thumb.png.eee5f704

And that's all! Just a word of advice from me: If you want me to take your advice, actually give me something other than "It looks bad". I can't really work with that.

You need a blue logo with an orange outline on the road jersey. No question. The rest is alright.

Away jersey with a blue logo. I don't like it that much, but I'd like to get some thoughts on it.56f2b282aad57_AwayPres2.thumb.png.5f03d5

Much better. How about a orange logo with a blue outline? Your current away looks too blue..

2 hours ago, mee said:

Much better. How about a orange logo with a blue outline? Your current away looks too blue..

Here ya go!

56f2efdcb2c24_AwayPres3.thumb.png.950d1d

Sorry for double posting, but I made some "Throwback night" uniforms as well. Only things changed from the original are the shade of blue, yoke removal, and the obvious template change. Any thoughts?56f3448f254ec_TBPres.thumb.png.8426ff622

On 3/23/2016 at 3:35 PM, Zeus89725 said:

Here ya go!

Amazing! Even as a Ranger fan... Throwback looks great too!