The Sports Media Thread

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Hockey fans wanted that ESPN attention; well, enjoy your Stephen A. takes.

Yeah I was excited at first for the national attention. But as much as I like Stephen A he’s an entertainer at this point and not a sports reporter/analyst/journalist/whatever. Hearing his clickbait takes bleed into the NHL won’t be fun. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Digby said:

Leading off with a reference to a Chance The Rapper SNL sketch is probably not a great sign of his genuine enthusiasm for the NHL. Which is fine except that ESPN thinks Stephen A. yelling is what counts as coverage.

Chance the Rapper’s sketch is about as much national exposure that the NHL has gotten in recent memory, so yeah leading off with that is definitely not a good sign. 

Can’t wait for more hot takes with absolutely no stats or evidence to back it up, NHL-style! Stephen A is the kind of person to push the narrative that the Caps’ pre-2018 postseason struggles were all Ovechkin’s fault, even when it was the team letting him down most of the time. 

spacer.png

Am I the only one who tunes into ESPN to watch live sports, and never any other time?

I think since Sunday Night Countdown jumped the shark back when it was acceptable to use the phrase 'jump the shark', that's my only use for ESPN.

• Like 7

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Am I the only one who tunes into ESPN to watch live sports, and never any other time?

I think since Sunday Night Countdown jumped the shark back when it was acceptable to use the phrase 'jump the shark', that's my only use for ESPN.

I’ve felt the same since the highlight shows pivoted away from highlights, which was what, 15 years ago?

part of the reason why the value of RSNs continues to amaze, because to me any sports channel is useful for maybe 15 hours of programming a week max.

I still have the website bookmarked. Mostly for scores, but even there, finding the reporting and the rare useful analysis means scrolling past three Screamin A videos at any given time.

if not for the usefulness of scores and schedules, ESPN would be fully jettisoned for me in favor of the Atheltic, Defector and my local.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

ESPN’s true golden age was the mid-to-late 90’s, but their most recent golden age was the late 2000’s, when you had anchor duos like Verrett-Everett (my memory fails me trying to remember some of the other anchor duos of the era) and their graphics package looked like this:

I think the thing that absolutely killed ESPN was YouTube. There’s no need to tune into SportsCenter for highlights because you can just look them up on YouTube. Same goes for analysis, and the fact that ESPN employs very few legitimate analysts anymore doesn’t help that. I don’t think we’ll ever see ESPN hit the heights they did in 2008-2011, which sucks because I have tons of great memories of watching ESPN during this era. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

If you have an Athletic subscription: https://theathletic.com/2615332/2021/05/26/clint-dempsey-cbs-usmnt/?source=dailyemail

Upshot: CLINT DEMPSET is going to CBS Sports to do USMNT studio analysis. Can't wait.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 5/26/2021 at 7:25 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

In the last dozen years, I have probably watched ESPN a handful of times when it wasn't coverage of live sports. The only show I would still watch regularly was College Gameday but I hardly watched that the last couple of years.

• Like 1

Sometimes I'll watch The Jump, but it's pretty rare.

ESPN is the patron saint of airport bars, however, so I'll almost always watch along if I'm waiting for a flight.

Delta gets live TV but not TNT, so I was tracking ESPN's bottom line for playoff scores on my flight earlier this week. It was kind of annoying, but worked absent an actual live feed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Anyone else watching the Champions League final on CBS? Either Peter Drury or his color commentator has their mic right under their nose, because I’ve heard them breathing the whole game. 

spacer.png

On 5/19/2021 at 8:16 PM, Crabcake said:

Levy doesn’t excite me. I thought he was meh on MNF but I’ll give him a shot with the NHL. I seem to faintly remember hearing him on the call of some of the old NHL highlights I sometimes watch on YouTube (side note: does this mean they’re changing up the MNF crew again?)

Levy is a longtime hockey guy, one of the many Bristol lifers who were pissed about Shapiro running the NHL out the door in 2004.  He'll do great. 

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/28/2021 at 9:16 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

ESPN is the patron saint of airport bars, however, so I'll almost always watch along if I'm waiting for a flight.

Delta gets live TV but not TNT, so I was tracking ESPN's bottom line for playoff scores on my flight earlier this week. It was kind of annoying, but worked absent an actual live feed.

In the mornings, I'll usually flip back and forth between First Take and Skip & Shannon, and that depends on the topic at hand (between the two shows, it's nothing but NBA and NFL talk, and very rarely delve into other sports).  Hell, since the pandemic, the days I work from home, my daytime viewing has largely consisted of those two, Colin Cowherd (& Joy Taylor), newscasts, and old sitcoms reruns between Antenna TV, Logo, Decades, and whatever else is on some of the Viacom channels (BET, MTV2, and VH1).  Beyond that, I don't watch much ESPN or FS1 outside of certain live events...I more or less tapped out on Around the Horn and PTI awhile ago, and they were my two favorite shows on ESPN.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

In the mornings, I'll usually flip back and forth between First Take and Skip & Shannon, and that depends on the topic at hand (between the two shows, it's nothing but NBA and NFL talk, and very rarely delve into other sports).  Hell, since the pandemic, the days I work from home, my daytime viewing has largely consisted of those two, Colin Cowherd (& Joy Taylor), newscasts, and old sitcoms reruns between Antenna TV, Logo, Decades, and whatever else is on some of the Viacom channels (BET, MTV2, and VH1).  Beyond that, I don't watch much ESPN or FS1 outside of certain live events...I more or less tapped out on Around the Horn and PTI awhile ago, and they were my two favorite shows on ESPN.

But like... why?  I can't understand why anybody willingly watches Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith.  What's to gain from watching people make intentionally absurd arguments (loudly, in Stephen A. Smith's case)?

• Like 4

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

But like... why?  I can't understand why anybody willingly watches Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith.  What's to gain from watching people make intentionally absurd arguments (loudly, in Stephen A. Smith's case)?

Purely for the entertainment value...I've learned over time that pundits like Stephen A. and Skip will simply say things just for effect, even if the points are valid.  Trust me, it took me a long time to warm up to both, and I will change the channel if either one (and Max Kellerman whenever he goes on his long-ass diatribes) gets too out of hand.  I didn't start watching First Take until the last year or so that Stephen A. & Skip were together, and Cari Champion was the moderator.

I don't agree with everything either one says (and throw in Kellerman and Shannon Sharpe for that matter), and certainly (just as an example) what Skip said last year regarding Dak Prescott was absolutely deplorable.  However, whenever they talk about race issues, especially with what's been going on in our communities, they're all on the same page on that accord. I felt the same way as you regarding Colin Cowherd, especially going back to his ESPN days, but I've come around on him since he's been at Fox Sports...I think Joy Taylor has been an excellent addition to his show, as she knows her stuff and will challenge him on his weird theories/analogies.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 6:25 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

I watch UrinatingTree, Pat McAfee or various cable era sports pundits that post clips online for my coverage. Why pay over $1,600-2,000/year for basic cable and maybe 100 channels when I can pay less than $900/year for Internet while getting similar quality content? It’s a basic economic question and that will doom a lot of ESPN’s assets long-term. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 4

On 5/26/2021 at 6:25 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

If it weren't for live sports I wouldn't have cable. So I'm hosed.

I remember as a kid watching SportsCenter until it would repeat to watch highlights. The internet has completely changed that though. SportsCenter probably has a purpose for somebody, but for me I just look at highlights whenever I want instead of waiting for SC to cycle back through if I missed something.

Even the pregame shows do nothing for me at this point. There's better pregame analysis written somewhere that I can easily read now. Part of this is the internet and part of it is probably just my personal tastes changing.

• Like 4

On 5/28/2021 at 12:16 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The most recent episode of the Jump is the only one I can remember that evoked that funny, candid, NBA on TNT vibe(with Kendrick Perkins being Charles Barkley). Of there than that, ESPN’s coverage of the NBA(outside of graphics and montages) is kind of devoid of life.

Having screwed up at ESPN, worn out his welcome at Fox, and gotten dumped by Clay Travis in favor of something called a "Buck Sexton," Jason Whitlock has landed a job at Glenn Beck's The Blaze. Welcome home, Ruckus.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.