The Sports Media Thread

That new scorebug from Fox is atrocious. How are we backsliding to the aesthetic of the early/mid-00s? It was a nice, if brief reprieve for those few years where even the sports media discovered minimalism. 

Relatedly, if not about the graphic style per se, but watching the ESPN broadcast of the Wild Card game, I had to confirm that I actually wasn't watching the Statcast special. There is just too much information on the screen! I do not need to see the pitch sequence of the previous five pitches of the at-bat persist in the upper left corner. Just get out of the way.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Why would they?

Because FOX/FS1 has now the rights to John Tesh's "Roundball Rock" (NBA on NBC original theme song) and they would transfer the current FOX/FS1 College Hoops theme song to FOX/FS1 NBA telecasts, if they debunks WarnerMedia

• Like 1

Beyond the WFT investigation launching a sideways missile at Gruden, we've also got Schefter formalizing his status as NFL PR guy. Lucky for him that ESPN has no interest in pretending, either. https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-10-12/nfl-jon-gruden-emails-washington-football-team

Several emails between Allen and journalists are part of the filing too. In one of them from July 2011, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter sent Allen the draft of an unpublished story that was published later the same day.

“Please let me know if you see anything that should be added, changed, tweaked,” Schefter wrote. “Thanks, Mr. Editor, for that and the trust. Plan to file this to espn about 6 am ….”

ESPN released the following statement in response to the correspondence: “Without sharing all the specifics of the reporter’s process for a story from 10 years ago during the NFL lockout, we believe that nothing is more important to Adam and ESPN than providing fans the most accurate, fair and complete story.”

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Sounds like the RSNs are in bad shape:

Since Sinclair’s purchase of the former Fox Sports regional sports networks now called Diamond Sports Group, there have been a lot of talks about their plans to offer direct-to-consumer streaming options. The plan would need to involve a large amount of funding, as some have speculated that bankruptcy could also be in Diamond Sports Group’s future.

Major League Baseball has reportedly asked for a stake in Sinclair’s streaming option whenever it comes to fruition.

MLB’s involvement would seemingly be a good thing for the short-term, giving Diamond Sports a lifeline at a time where it seems like they definitely need it. From MLB’s standpoint, it would be the league that is most affected by any potential bankruptcy, so it makes complete sense to want to get involved.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/13/2021 at 9:22 AM, Digby said:

Beyond the WFT investigation launching a sideways missile at Gruden, we've also got Schefter formalizing his status as NFL PR guy. Lucky for him that ESPN has no interest in pretending, either. https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-10-12/nfl-jon-gruden-emails-washington-football-team

he’s an “insider”, not a real journalist.  He doesn’t cover news that matters. It’s common for guys to make deals with their sources to protect them in exchange for juicy stories later, or to “leak” things that help the team with their negotiating in exchange for more impactful info later. 

I don’t see any issue with the Schefter thing, and I’d be surprised if he wasn’t working with the teams. All it does is confirm that some of his confidential sources are high-ranking people - which I would have assumed anyway. 

he’s not a real journalist that’s asking Xi Jinping to approve and edit stories before running them in the Daily Planet. 

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Aunt, balls, uncle. I don't think anyone really came close to what Sinclair and Byron Allen offered, and clearly they stretched themselves thin to do it. Probably a big part of why they had to rebrand it as the Degenerate Gambler Network as soon as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 2

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

21 hours ago, buzzcut said:

:o

Wow, that's unbelievable. They must have paid handsomely for the rights. If it were a matter of simply getting on FM, WTMJ could have worked out a simulcast with WKTI and kept the AM for outstate listeners. Woooooow. I hate seeing this as much as I hated seeing the Cubs leave WGN and the Cardinals leave KMOX. Some broadcast relationships should stay forever.

19 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Wow. If players actually go through with this, that’s going to majorly suck. It’s also seems somewhat unfair to Texas teams, punishing them for where they are located. I know free agent deterring happens to small markets, but Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio? Yikes.

59 minutes ago, the admiral said:

:o

Wow, that's unbelievable. They must have paid handsomely for the rights. If it were a matter of simply getting on FM, WTMJ could have worked out a simulcast with WKTI and kept the AM for outstate listeners. Woooooow. I hate seeing this as much as I hated seeing the Cubs leave WGN and the Cardinals leave KMOX. Some broadcast relationships should stay forever.

A great theory I read was that this makes the radio deal more marketable. TMJ has such a strong signal that it can be tough to sell the programming around the state.  Now 97.3 won't have the 60000 Watt blowtorch, so you sell the programming to little stations all over the state, who can then sell their part of the broadcast. 

It's where I sit.

48 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Wow. If players actually go through with this, that’s going to majorly suck. It’s also seems somewhat unfair to Texas teams, punishing them for where they are located. I know free agent deterring happens to small markets, but Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio? Yikes.

And Austin too if you count MLS.

They might be outsmarting themselves with that one. The Cardinals went from a clear channel to a dumpy station that barely covered St. Louis County and said they'd make up for it in the network. They were back on KMOX in like four or five years.