The Sports Media Thread

50 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

It’s also seems somewhat unfair to Texas teams, punishing them for where they are located. 

Texas uses their lack of state income tax to sign free agents, which punishes other teams for where they're located. I cry no tears.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Wow. If players actually go through with this, that’s going to majorly suck. It’s also seems somewhat unfair to Texas teams, punishing them for where they are located. I know free agent deterring happens to small markets, but Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio? Yikes.

It also seems somewhat unfair to the Texas residents who are negatively impacted by the legislation just because of where they are located.   

Much like admiral, I cry no tears for Texas.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

They might be outsmarting themselves with that one. The Cardinals went from a clear channel to a dumpy station that barely covered St. Louis County and said they'd make up for it in the network. They were back on KMOX in like four or five years.

Understood, but iHeart has the outlets, too.

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

This feels incredibly selective. Why didn't the NAACP do this for Georgia and Florida? Hell, as a Minnesotan, why haven't they issued a similar warning for Minneapolis?

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 10:40 PM, sportsfan7 said:

This feels incredibly selective. Why didn't the NAACP do this for Georgia and Florida? Hell, as a Minnesotan, why haven't they issued a similar warning for Minneapolis?

Because Texas has been in the news a lot lately. Attention=$$$. And any organization with a competent fundraising arm knows to strike when the iron is hot. 

The main article is behind a paywall, so I read the Awful Announcing summary: https://awfulannouncing.com/barstool/barstool-sports-founder-dave-portnoy-pattern-sexual-violence-intimidation.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm headed into Dave Portnoy's age and I'm not flying college students to my city to choke them and spit in their mouths.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The main article is behind a paywall

Throwing such an article behind a freaking paywall throws into question the writer's actual motive

That being said, fxck Portnoy and fxck Barstool.

6uXNWAo.png

4 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

Unfortunately, I think this will probably endear Portnoy even more to his Barstool base

Don't go into the barstool subreddit.  They're bathing themselves in glory.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

Don't go into the barstool subreddit.  They're bathing themselves in glory.

Yeah, this is perfectly on-brand for Barstool as aspirational lifestyle brand for its audience, is it not? The only thing at risk here is probably the Penn National investment, which is hilarious but inconsequential. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I don't know, I mean, the entire cool kids' table has been trying to end Dave Portnoy's career for, what, eight years now? What do they have to show for it besides getting an ESPN show pulled that would have failed anyway? He's impervious to this stuff, having perfected just the right mix of oddball charisma, lack of initial acceptance, and total lack of shame. 

There's an alternate universe in which Portnoy showed up to English class and slotted in at Deadspin or Grantland writing about what it means to discuss what it means to discuss Paul Pierce [sic], while Drew Magary became the impresario of posting about farts and boobs on college football gamedays.

Is he doing something illegal? I don't think we can suffice to say based on this.

Is he a moron, trending towards scumbag, who is having risky and poorly communicated sexual encounters with girls he doesn't know  that he shouldn't be having (probably because he's going through a midlife crisis while rich and famous and trying make up for being a goober for most of his life)? Yes.

And 19 is way too young for him. I'm 25 and I think 19 is way too young. A series of events happened this past summer at my summer job, that I am not aware of the full story and probably never will be, that led to a 19 year-old coworker (who was closer to 18 than 20) kinda, sorta hitting me up and I was weirded out.

43 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't know, I mean, the entire cool kids' table has been trying to end Dave Portnoy's career for, what, eight years now? What do they have to show for it besides getting an ESPN show pulled that would have failed anyway? He's impervious to this stuff, having perfected just the right mix of oddball charisma, lack of initial acceptance, and total lack of shame. 

I've made it known on here that I consume some Barstool content. It's basically just three things at this point, which aren't Portnoy related nor really Barstool-centric, plus following some personalities on Twitter.

This discourse surrounding Barstool absolutely sucks and I hate it. It's the same thing every single time. The "blue checkmarks" retread the same anti-Portnoy and anti-Barstool stuff, even this article (which I guess is like two years in the making?) is pretty much that plus the sex stuff, and then people are like "I never liked Barstool anyways" or "Barstool = Bad" or some other vaguely related statement (like this stupid thing made it's way to hockey twitter and somebody was saying that the hockey writers who "vowed to do better" after the Kyle Beach story should follow this story and talk to NHL people who have been involved with Spittin Chiclets). Then the mouth breather Stoolies and Portnoy sycophants and some Barstool personalities do their part in "defending" the honour of El Pres and Barstool and reinforcing that people aren't entirely incorrect in viewing Stoolies and Barstool in the way they do.

It's just the same old song and dance and nothing ever comes of it. But hey, it gets clicks and engagement on both sides, and everybody gets to tweet and then feel like they made a difference in the world, so it's worth going back to that well.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

This discourse surrounding Barstool absolutely sucks and I hate it. It's the same thing every single time. The "blue checkmarks" retread the same anti-Portnoy and anti-Barstool stuff, even this article (which I guess is like two years in the making?) is pretty much that plus the sex stuff, and then people are like "I never liked Barstool anyways" or "Barstool = Bad" or some other vaguely related statement (like this stupid thing made it's way to hockey twitter and somebody was saying that the hockey writers who "vowed to do better" after the Kyle Beach story should follow this story and talk to NHL people who have been involved with Spittin Chiclets). Then the mouth breather Stoolies and Portnoy sycophants and some Barstool personalities do their part in "defending" the honour of El Pres and Barstool and reinforcing that people aren't entirely incorrect in viewing Stoolies and Barstool in the way they do.

It's just the same old song and dance and nothing ever comes of it. But hey, it gets clicks and engagement on both sides, and everybody gets to tweet and then feel like they made a difference in the world, so it's worth going back to that well.

As I've said a thousand times in this thread, the hatred for Barstool has little to do with Portnoy's personal grossness and much to do with professional resentment. Barstool figured out how to sell a lifestyle brand and as such they've never suffered the way Journalist-Americans have, even though the latter got good grades from the right schools, did cocaine at the right Brooklyn loft parties, and otherwise followed the rules to their doom. Portnoy cheated by selling dumb crap to rubes. Unacceptable.

• Like 2