The Sports Media Thread

Marking John Clayton's passing, a special shoutout to Sean Salisbury as well. He and Clayton's witty "4 Downs" debates on SportsCenter pioneered the way for what has become the entire daytime lineup for ESPN, FS1, and everyone else.

Clayton, a true trail blazer.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

Man, John Clayton's passing hit me harder than I thought it would. I haven't really followed much of his reporting in recent years, but he was by far one of my favorite sports reporters. 

When I was in middle school I'd have to wake up fairly early for the bus, so I'd watch the west-coast SportCenter reruns at 6/7 a.m., and Clayton was on almost every single morning. He wasn't over-the-top, no fluff, just straight facts and honest opinions. 

Not to mention his "This is SportsCenter" ad is one of my favorite commercials of all time. 

RIP John. 

• Like 3

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

23 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Fox has some options for sure.  No wonder Michael Strahan was rumored as the lead analyst.  Will be interesting if Fox hires externally or promotes from within.

This is a strong lineup. Better than last year imo. Hopefully Fox can put together a good booth

Are any NFL TV broadcasters also full-time baseball guys?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

Fox has some options for sure.  No wonder Michael Strahan was rumored as the lead analyst.  Will be interesting if Fox hires externally or promotes from within.

This is quite the shake up 

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

Good to see Al Michaels still has a spot on league TV. He's pretty much been the de-facto "voice of football" since I started watching the back in the late-80s. Games wouldn't be the same without his voice and gambling easter egg on a weekly basis.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

There's something so low-rent about Al Michaels being on streaming. I don't even like the idea of the NFL being on cable.

I feel like we’ll get at least one old man Michaels moment during the season though where he says something to the effect of, “I’ll be honest, I don’t even know how this streaming nonsense works, I just walked into the booth they told me and started talking.” So at least we have that to look forward to. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

There's something so low-rent about Al Michaels being on streaming. I don't even like the idea of the NFL being on cable.

At least he will no longer have to deal with Cris Collinsworth creeping up on him like a desperate guy at a bar counter. 

• LOL 1

I saw, I came, I left.

12 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Am I the only one here that thinks it is very strange to have Herbstreit being the color commentary guy for TNF?

I originally thought the same. Then reflected on recent color failures like Jason Witten and Booger McFlarland and immediately became sold on Herby

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

At least he will no longer have to deal with Cris Collinsworth creeping up on him like a desperate guy at a bar counter. 

Collinsworth was downright awful during the Super Bowl. I swear, every single sentence out of his mouth was about how great Cooper Kupp is.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

6 minutes ago, Sport said:

Way too lenient. Those transcripts were brutal AF.

Has a sports journalist ever experienced as much of a fall from grace as Keri? Even Marv Albert didn’t do anything this bad.