The Sports Media Thread

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Our captains of industry are lucky morons.

If you want to make a million dollars, the best way to do it is to start with ten million. The second best way to is to play the lottery every day and hope you hit.

So much of what makes a business successful comes down to timing and luck.

If you look at your Fortune 500 companies, almost all of them are less than 100 years old. Why? They had big businesses around the turn of the century. Where did they go?

And the answer is typically, they had an idea, it worked for a while, but then things changed, and they failed to adjust.

I deal with executives on almost a daily basis. Most of them are smarter than your average bear. I've been lucky never to have met an executive whom I walked away thinking boy, this person is just a loudmouth idiot. I know they exist, but thankfully, I feel they are in the extreme minority of what's out there.

But I don't know if I ever met an executive who's ever blown me away with what they know, either. I have gotten that feeling more than once from people who work directly underneath them. I worked once with one of the people who helped design the Amazon Alexa, and his insights on what the product was designed to do were impressive. That's someone who stands out to me as somebody I really learned something from.

But for the most part, executives are run-of-the-mill business school graduates who happened to get a leg up on everyone else in life. It's not that they're dumb; they're just not geniuses.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Reddit has the format of forums down, but the userbase typically takes the worst elements from Twitter and combines it with an air of superiority that makes everything feel confrontational regardless of context. I do like that more than Twitter (even though the content's worse) however because everybody is faceless there.

See, I feel like the problem with Reddit is that there's a facelessness there that makes everything just feel like a monolith of content. (I'm not talking about girls anonymously posting their boobs, but that's another sort of facelessness, I suppose.) Rather, it's that you don't know the people or the personas, which is by design. You're just reading thoughts, and usually not great ones -- the sports content is especially bad when it comes to the NBA and NHL.  Sorting everything by up/downvote also makes it hard to navigate. You can't have long-running threads. No conversation is sustainable, everything is ephemeral. It's not ideal.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

See, I feel like the problem with Reddit is that there's a facelessness there that makes everything just feel like a monolith of content. (I'm not talking about girls anonymously posting their boobs, but that's another sort of facelessness, I suppose.) Rather, it's that you don't know the people or the personas, which is by design. You're just reading thoughts, and usually not great ones -- the sports content is especially bad when it comes to the NBA and NHL.  Sorting everything by up/downvote also makes it hard to navigate. You can't have long-running threads. No conversation is sustainable, everything is ephemeral. It's not ideal.

That's because you're not sorting comments by controversial. That's the patrician's way of enjoying that black hole of stupidity. 

• Like 2

Reddit is good for aggregating and for niche interests. It's not dialogue though; it's information gathering.

EDIT: and bomb throwing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

An old coworker of mine has an autistic 11 year old daughter who, according to her, gets into tons of flame wars on reddit, many of them political and LGBQT related, then when she gets mad enough she gets off the computer and starts having full-blown meltdowns in the house, and that it got really out of control during quarantine. I remember having an epiphany that day, that this is what I've been arguing with on reddit.

• LOL 3
  • WOAH 1

On 2022-11-11 at 9:04 PM, the admiral said:

This is exactly why I've never been able to get into Reddit.

Although this board suggests that avatars and linear threading, alone, do not rescue us from empty-brained takes dished out regularly.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

8 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Zaslav hinting on ending NBA on TNT from the look of things

Not for nothing, but what else does he think TNT is good for besides broadcasting NBA basketball and being HBO lite?

I'm good with watching Rocky I-IV and Con Air for the 8,000th time. I'm good with seeing Mrs. Kevin Bacon yelling at people in a small room. And I'm good with seeing rich aholes buying cars I'll never drive.

If TNT is good with not having the NBA, they can go ahead and go the way of Nitro which I'm still PO'd they canceled. I have no other reason to watch.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nickp91 said:

TNT saying they don’t need the NBA is wild I’m pretty sure their highest rating program is NBA on TNT

What else would it be? There's literally nothing else on that network worth watching aside from sports.

That's why I said if they're not going to have NBA basketball, they might as well go ahead and close up shop. They have all the programming diversity of me falling asleep with Hulu on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmoehrin said:

What else would it be? There's literally nothing else on that network worth watching aside from sports.

I do wonder if this is the play going forward, a la NBC closing the Sports Network and losing no sleep (plus moving more stuff to its streaming service). A Turner/Discovery lash-up in particular seems to have a whole lot of dead weight from circa 2000 cable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

g9QRbvY.png

Anyone notice that the Fox scorebug is different from the official FIFA bug? I was trying to figure out why the Telemundo broadcasts didn't have a jersey color indicator, then I finally figured out there are a few more differences that are hard to pick out.  Both used that middle star design so it throws you off until you realize that Fox has another pattern under the team initials and a different font as well.  Added time is run differently as well, as the Fox broadcasts don't do the drop down clock for added time while Telemundo does. 

WaPo report sparks debate on Fox's Qatar Airways sponsorship

Qatar 2022 Football or Soccer Championship design elements vector set.  Qatar 2022 official color background with logo. Vectors, Banners, Posters,  Social Media kit, templates, scoreboard 4340363 Vector Art at Vecteezy

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

No MLS on ESPN will take some getting used to. Doubly bad since we're all in the midst of "FOX is awful at soccer coverage" season on an entirely new scale. I'd really love to know the data (or theories) going into all the new MLS TV plans starting next season, because it's all very different. It feels like a bad omen, in a "remember when the NHL didn't exist for a dozen years when it wasn't on ESPN" kind of way, but I guess if there's already not much to lose on the ratings front...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...