The Sports Media Thread

OJ's guilty as hell (and somehow became a worse person after killing two people!), but if I was on that jury hearing about all the various clown cars that evidence passed through, I'd be hard-pressed not to acquit. The system offered reasonable doubt in spades.

Really, if you haven't watched it, make a point to. It offers more detail on the proceedings, and more context for them, than I could have fathomed.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

33 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

OJ's guilty as hell (and somehow became a worse person after killing two people!), but if I was on that jury hearing about all the various clown cars that evidence passed through, I'd be hard-pressed not to acquit. The system offered reasonable doubt in spades.

Really, if you haven't watched it, make a point to. It offers more detail on the proceedings, and more context for them, than I could have fathomed.

Oh absolutely.  It's one of those tricky situations where you have to remember that it's not as easy as the evidence alone.  The prosecution totally botched the presentation, whether it was putting the racist cop on the stand without doing their research, making OJ try on the glove, not presenting key evidence like the sort-of suicide note on the day of the car chase, and their black attorney playing right into Cochran's hands with the racial slur challenge.  The trial being moved to downtown for political reasons was also a setup for disaster, plus the juror selection appeared to be right out of a nightmare.  

They did a tremendous job of showing the backstory, too.  OJ couldn't have given two :censored: s about being black, the black community, or his role as a black man in the 60s and 70s, almost instead preferring to be embraced and in the company of white people.  Very fascinating to see how it took his freedom for granted and made just about every wrong decision possible.

I encourage everyone to stomach the uncensored version of the show via that link in the last page.  It's just incredible stuff.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The whole series is very well done.  My wife and I got sucked in a few weeks ago.

The jury certainly could have justified an acquittal on the basis of reasonable doubt.  To me, that is actually an example of the system working as it was intended (which is what I told my wife the day of the verdict).  What was frustrating (bordering on infuriating) was to hear one juror say it was revenge for Rodney King and another say it was (in part) because they had been sequestered for nine months.

As you said, the series showed that O.J. was as far removed from the black community as was probably possible in 1994.  For him to be acquitted as a message on behalf of the black community is beyond ironic.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 7/11/2016 at 7:33 AM, CS85 said:

BTW, how the hell is there not a 30 for 30 about the Eric Lindros trade yet?  The Lindros Trade Tree only just died a few weeks ago.  

On 7/11/2016 at 10:13 AM, McCarthy said:

There's been like 3 hockey 30 for 30's and one of them was about how a con man almost tricked the NHL into giving him a team. I don't think we'll be getting many more. 

Meanwhile there's at least 6 more basketball 30 for 30 in the works all about some unremarkable team like the 1998 Atlanta Hawks, probably. 

A Lindros one sure fits the criteria they were looking for a couple years back, specifically the timeframe

OTOH, how much does the NHL really want these stories to be told?  For instance, a guy has been working on a doc on the California Golden Seals for nearly five years and just finished his script to the NHL for approval.  His Facebook page details some of his issues in getting it done. 

I've been pushing for a doc on the league called "Lockout to Lockout" which would chronicle the sport in that 10 season period from 95-04, which would cover sunbelt expansion, Avs-Red Wings, the dead puck era, and the league's financial hardships. 

or just Avs-Red Wings deserves it's own story. The only thing that tried was Adrian Dater's book and Adrian Dater sucks.

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

It is as much a deeper dive into the history of Black L.A. and race relations as it is about Simpson himself.  And the deeper dive for Latino L.A. is the PBS doc, Chavez Ravine: A Los Angeles Story

4 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I've been pushing for a doc on the league called "Lockout to Lockout" which would chronicle the sport in that 10 season period from 95-04, which would cover sunbelt expansion, Avs-Red Wings, the dead puck era, and the league's financial hardships. 

or just Avs-Red Wings deserves it's own story. The only thing that tried was Adrian Dater's book and Adrian Dater sucks.

I think they should do one that covers the lockout-riddled era of 2011-2013 where the NHL, NBA, and NFL all had lockouts, but the one that deserves an entire treatment is the 2005 NHL lockout.  That was sports history.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

I think they should do one that covers the lockout-riddled era of 2011-2013 where the NHL, NBA, and NFL all had lockouts, but the one that deserves an entire treatment is the 2005 NHL lockout.  That was sports history.

Since the central narrative of that 2011-2013 era is "unions must die" and I suspect much of the 30 for 30 crew are at least sympathetic to unions, I doubt that would get much play.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Speaking of digital networks, Sling TV just kind of became the perfect cord-cutting solution. Earlier this year, they introduced an option for ESPN or FS1 and NBC Sports. Now they have an option for both. It comes at a price -- $40, which includes things like USA, Disney, CNN, Bravo, AMC, and a bunch more -- but it's what I've been looking for to bridge soccer, basketball and football. You can also add beIN Sports and other ESPN networks for an additional $5, but I think having the big three cable sports networks is good enough for me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 7/18/2016 at 0:44 PM, McCarthy said:

I was at a Blackhawks blog charity event a couple years ago, and one of the booby prizes for the raffle was a copy of "Blood Feud." I won it, promptly took it to the men's room, stuck it in a urinal, and advised everyone of its location.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

17 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

si.com has updated their site... so far so good.

They've done what seems to be the new -agile for mobile- updates, & yet desktop appreciation hasn't been ignored unlike most.  

Thanks for the heads up.  It took me about 15 seconds to decide that it is infinitely better than before.  The old version was a cluster____.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

10 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Thanks for the heads up.  It took me about 15 seconds to decide that it is infinitely better than before.  The old version was a cluster____.

Last week I'd just done one of their surveys - perhaps they were fishing to iron out for hard launch.

si.com began dropping down a large banner within pieces communicating a giant link to 'go back to the top of this article to read about this article'... I sometimes do those surveys for sites I frequent, might as well; that latest one I did I really dove in head first- stop with the autovids grinding the site down.  I go to si.com to read, not to watch video, & when their vids slow everything down I can no longer scroll to read.

• Like 1

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• 2 weeks later...

So is Gawker media dying out this week or what? Their top nav has been full of "greatest hits" for the past month or so, and this week they've been doing retrospectives on the main sites.

It sure feels like it's winding down. I'll be sad when Gawker, Deadspin and Gizmodo are gone. The writers will likely land elsewhere, but the Grantland/Ringer experience has shown us it's never quite the same.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Well, there's this:

This is Gawker Media’s last week as an independent media operation, and while that shouldn’t affect you much one way or the other as a reader, we’re still going to take advantage of a pretext to run some especially stupid posts. If you have any ideas for such posts, hit us at tips@deadspin.com.

spacer.png