The Sports Media Thread

Yeah, the billionaire class was just handed a blueprint of how to shut down any media organization critical of them, but Gawker was Mean And Bad Sometimes, so no harm, no foul.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Gawker deserved some repercussions to the Hogan sex tape stuff. They doubled down on some very bad reasoning and their legal defense was horrid. They laughed off a serious threat to their business and are paying the price.

I'm glad Deadspin will remain, but it clearly won't be the same.

Reporting on the interests and injustice of our new gilded age can still happen. Talking about their penises, vaginas and undisclosed sexuality can't. That's probably OK.

Of course, Hogan was the smokescreen for Thiel's bigger beef. But they had their chance to do right by Hogan and they blew it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Don't put Peter Thiel's name in the same sentence as "bigger beef," or you'll end up on the list, too.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

:censored: Gawker. They have nobody to blame but themselves. Malicious, trash "journalism" that wrecked people's lives simply for web-clicks. The world is a better place without Gawker and Jezebel. And :censored: off with "freedom of the press." You defame and lie about people, go piss up a rope. ZERO sympathy or mourning for them. Not one iota. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Freedom of the press?

Gonna be dramatic about it, are we? They were a hit-piece organization who ran around without concern or responsibility for what they did. 

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Yeah, the billionaire class was just handed a blueprint of how to shut down any media organization critical of them, but Gawker was Mean And Bad Sometimes, so no harm, no foul.

You seem to lack any knowledge of what they did. MULTIPLE times, to many people. :censored: Gawker. Burn it to the ground. Hopefully TMZ is next. They reaped what they sew. How many times did they (or you) think they could do what they did and not have it come back to burn them? 

You're missing the broader picture.  Thiel flat out didn't even care if Hogan won or lost the case and said as much...Hogan winning just sped up the process for his ultimate goal, which was bankruptcy.  His strategy was to force Gawker to defend itself in court until the legal fees alone forced bankruptcy.

You're a billionaire who doesn't want a media outlet investigating your unethical or shady business dealings that certainly have resulted in harm to others?  Just sue them and keep on suing them.  Even when they win the battles, they ultimately lose the war.  And because the media outlets know that, they won't ok the investigation in the first place.

TMZ and Gawker aren't great, but even CNN and Fox News aren't immune either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Gawker deserved some kind of peckerslap for the Hogan tape (not to mention outing Tim Geithner's brother because Conde Nast owns Reddit and they don't like Reddit), but not being run out of business through a series of lawsuits. You can't seriously believe that they do. Sometimes I wonder if Americans, left unchecked, truly believe in First Amendment rights.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Gawker deserved some repercussions to the Hogan sex tape stuff. They doubled down on some very bad reasoning and their legal defense was horrid. They laughed off a serious threat to their business and are paying the price.

Gawker screwed Gawker. Plain and simple.

Denton & company got themselves into this situation and then handled themselves like morons (hint: Don't joke about showing sex tapes of 4 year olds while under oath).

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

13 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That A.J. Daulerio is a blithering idiot shouldn't be just cause to nuke an entire publication.

I was showing it as an example of Gawker's stupidity throughout the entire ordeal from start to finish.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

They acted improperly through the entire Hogan deal, plus a couple of other outing campaigns. They also provided a valuable service doing reporting and commentary on a variety of issues. They struck a nice balance between snarky and earnest that most other organizations fail at; most go too far on snark as wannabe Daily Shows or they go too far on earnest to be Mother Jones blah blah blah thinkpieces that never go anywhere.

Plus they had some genuinely talented writers and likeable staff, like Hamilton Nolan and, recently, Ashley Feinberg. This piece, for example, is really funny!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

By the way, Peter Thiel wants to suck young blood so he can live forever and reign over a man-made Randian paradise upon a giant barge in international waters. It's not easy to make Nick Denton the good guy in any situation, but hey, we go to the moon because it's hard.

EDIT: no, no, a thousand times no, posting "look how cool we are" Slack transcripts was the absolute worst thing Gawker ever did. If I'd made billions of dollars on a way to wire money to camwhores, I'd sue them out of existence for those.

I believe in a constructive misunderstanding of the First Amendment. It's become an unfortunate talking point of the left to dwell on the letter of the law and not the spirit -- you know, the people howling "IT ONLY APPLIES TO GOVERNMENT," the tiresome reposts of the "they're showing you the door" comic, and all that. I don't think rigorously enforcing the boundaries of free expression is a good thing for the country.

I see the Gawker case as being similar to the Donald Sterling exile. Did he deserve to be banned from the NBA? Yes. Was the way that it happened fair? No. Sterling was allowed to be a terrible owner and person for decades, but it only became an issue when the public heard a tape. You shouldn't be able to take someone's team away from them like that. Gawker probably deserved to be cast off into the abyss, but not by drowning in legal fees defending themselves. I'm sure there are tons of small businesses that are forced into bankruptcy because they can't afford lawyers, and we never hear about them.

45 minutes ago, The Six said:

I'm sure there are tons of small businesses that are forced into bankruptcy because they can't afford lawyers, and we never hear about them.

Seriously, how many newspapers today would even survive one defamation lawsuit, regardless of foundation?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)