The Sports Media Thread

On 12/20/2016 at 2:33 PM, jmac11281 said:

Okay, maybe respectable isn't the right word, but he wasn't always a horse's ass like he is now.

Skip Bayless tried to sell a book by claiming Troy Aikman was a closeted homosexual. This is who Skip Bayless is and who he always has been.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to do this earlier in the week, but during the Sugar Bowl, Brent Musberger made comments about OU RB Joe Mixon which did seem a bit tone deaf to me and others.

During the game, SI's Richard Deitsch rolled out this tweet which had NCAA reporters (CBS's Jon Solomon and FS1's Bruce Feldman), Tim Brando and even Chris Fowler commenting on his statement.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

I forgot to do this earlier in the week, but during the Sugar Bowl, Brent Musberger made comments about OU RB Joe Mixon which did seem a bit tone deaf to me and others.

During the game, SI's Richard Deitsch rolled out this tweet which had NCAA reporters (CBS's Jon Solomon and FS1's Bruce Feldman), Tim Brando and even Chris Fowler commenting on his statement.

Most of these announcers will not criticize ANYONE. It doesn't surprise me that Musberger defended Mixon. I'm just surprised that he pretty much doubled down.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

That was a interesting Twitter thread with a lot of big names weighing in. Thanks for sharing.

It's mind boggling that the PBP announcers constantly cover for the coaching staff, especially in collegiate sport.

And their immediate comments during the game over Twitter kinda proves Deitsch's point that they're very sensitive to the criticism and make questionable excuses as opposed to being journalist.

Those aren't reporters. Those are access conduits through which the broadcast rights fees also flow. To expect them to be any more than shills for their assigned product is to be perpetually left wanting.

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

15 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Those aren't reporters. Those are access conduits through which the broadcast rights fees also flow. To expect them to be any more than shills for their assigned product is to be perpetually left wanting.

Brent used the game play to create his own editorial.  That's wrong.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2016 at 10:49 PM, Sodboy13 said:

Skip Bayless tried to sell a book by claiming Troy Aikman was a closeted homosexual. This is who Skip Bayless is and who he always has been.

Yup. I was talking about what a douchebag Bayless is all the way back in 1996 on my old radio show. 

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

21 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Yup. I was talking about what a douchebag Bayless is all the way back in 1996 on my old radio show. 

Thing is, I am still trying to figure whether he is a douche on purpose for extra attention and to be a troll or he really believes his own crap

19 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Thing is, I am still trying to figure whether he is a douche on purpose for extra attention and to be a troll or he really believes his own crap

Yes.

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Last night Skip Bayless sounded a lot like me during Blackhawks playoff runs:

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like how now that he's left ESPN several ESPN employees just openly blast on him on twitter. Documented idiot Danny Kanell even takes shots. 

I mean, if I was working at the network and trying to be respected in the field and this buffoon is shamelessly hot-taking on the same network, pulling your reputation into the mud with him, I would have a huge problem with that.  

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

You've got three people at that network trying to be respected, though. There's Katie Nolan, who gets as close to a "prestige" show as FS1 has by using words longer than two syllables once a week for 20,000 viewers. (The other nights of the week in her timeslot: TMZ Sports!) And there's Jay and Dan, who probably spend every night after their show poring over their contracts for the mystical, magical out clause. Everyone else is either one of the most fetid take artists who gets millions dumped on them to bring in fewer viewers nationwide than I get listeners in a single market, or just a workaday game-caller or scrub along for the ride and removed from the "advancing the conversation" crapfest.

Katie Nolan is likely to leave FS1 the second she's able to. I wonder why, in the meantime, they don't advertise her program during the NFL games? People know what they're getting with the Bayless and Cowherd takes shows. Nolan at least offers something different. Plus you may entice her not to accept the likely ESPN offer. She's a real talent in an industry generally bereft of it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

28 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Katie Nolan is likely to leave FS1 the second she's able to. I wonder why, in the meantime, they don't advertise her program during the NFL games? People know what they're getting with the Bayless and Cowherd takes shows. Nolan at least offers something different. Plus you may entice her not to accept the likely ESPN offer. She's a real talent in an industry generally bereft of it.

The pronoun "She" is the reason why her program's NOT advertised during Monopoly's games.  Fox is skerred of upsetting their base.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Katie Nolan is really good but offstage chuckles always irritate me (The Soup, any Keith Olbermann show). Either have an audience or don't. Giggling gaffers make me uncomfortable.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, Needschat said:

The pronoun "She" is the reason why her program's NOT advertised during Monopoly's games.  Fox is skerred of upsetting their base.  

I think it's more of a case of Nolan's show being 1/2 hour of programming per week with a few hundred thousand dollars invested in talent, and the two dumbass shoutfests comprising 17-1/2 hours of programming per week with over 10 million dollars invested in talent.

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Dunno if ESPN is in the position to be out-bidding others right now....