The Sports Media Thread

Hold up, we haven't hit the Chris Berman "emertius" story yet?

Peter King waxed poetic over Chris...

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/10/chris-berman-espn-career-retrospective

Drew Magary wasn't so nice...

http://deadspin.com/chris-berman-was-the-worst-1791083941

Awful Announcing's Ken Fang, who I dislike, kinda split the middle...

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/chris-bermans-legacy-at-espn.html

And those at or around my age did debate him on this week's "Hang Up & Listen" (Jan. 10) podcast.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/hang_up_and_listen.html

Edited by dfwabel
ade

Courtesy of Dr. Doug on twitter:

lol.

In regards to Berman, he's a controversial figure, ego-maniac, over-exposed doofus.  That said, he's an icon, a game-changer of the industry, and he made Sundays all the more richer for his weirdness and unique flavor over the years.  It's easy to say he was annoying or drop a "You're With Me, Leather," but I'm willing to admit I have a lot of respect for his career.  

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 11:07 AM, dfwabel said:

You'd have to think there's either some health issue with Musburger (or his immediate family) or ESPN is just fully pushing him out the door.

One of the biggest names is sports broadcasting history was basically relegated to the SEC Network and the conference's 3rd-best game of the week (at best) the last couple years, and then basically abruptly quitting.  There's got to be more to this than what's being presented.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

It looks like Woj is heading to Bristol, if Deadspin's story checks out...if so, good for ESPN, he brings some much instant credibility to their NBA coverage.

http://deadspin.com/sources-adrian-wojnarowski-is-close-to-joining-espn-1791830016

I disagree regarding credibilty as ESPN has had a cadre of longtime former NBA newspaper journalists with years, if not decades of experience (Stein, Windhorst, Nichols, McMenamin, McMahon, Holmes, Arnovitz, Haberstoh,  Lowe...). Woj is just the top name and is akin to Jay Glazer.

Indeed. ESPN's NBA coverage is terrific. They don't have the TV presence the old NBA on NBC crew had, but if you like to read and listen to podcasts, you can get a lot from ESPN's NBA team. I like to read Woj. I can't stand to listen to or watch him. He's a pretty bad interviewer.

If you're interesting in not Sticking to Sports, the Monday TrueHoop pods have been excellent over the past three weeks. Mondays are Black Opinions Matter themed, and Amin Alhassin especially has been a good voice to listen to these past few weeks, especially talking through how he's living as a Sudanese American.

For dfwable -- don't you think there's a bit too much Jade these days on TrueHoop?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

I disagree regarding credibilty as ESPN has had a cadre of longtime former NBA newspaper journalists with years, if not decades of experience (Stein, Windhorst, Nichols, McMenamin, McMahon, Holmes, Arnovitz, Haberstoh,  Lowe...). Woj is just the top name and is akin to Jay Glazer.

Duly noted...I've been listening to Lowe's podcast the last few years, and I've followed Arnovitz since he used to run the Clipperblog site and the subsequent team podcast through local ESPN LA.  I admit I had a bit of a brain fart when I thinking about other ESPN NBA people.  As far as Woj, maybe with this potential Verizon-Yahoo merger, maybe he sees the potential writing on the wall.

17 hours ago, DG_Now said:

For dfwable -- don't you think there's a bit too much Jade these days on TrueHoop?

Not really, since he is the Exec. Producer, it is basically his show.

The excessive editing, like the Bossa Nova music and the horse neigh to cover up a (near)profanity seems a tad heavy handed. 

As for Mondays, the last show was pretty bad as Mariano Bivens brings less to the table than Big Woz.  Black Tray is in the middle of the two and basically is just another East Coast black voice.  Then they got into the actual idea that they could profit off selling branded merchandise w/o Disney taking a cut.  Foolishness.

7 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Bob Costas has stepped down from Olympics hosting and will pass the torch to Mike Tirico.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bob-costas-steps-aside-as-olympics-host-mike-tirico-to-take-over-140937881.html

Cant say this is a surprising move.

Not least the next 3 are in South Korea, Japan, & China.  Maybe Costas didn't want to travel far any more.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

8 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Not least the next 3 are in South Korea, Japan, & China.  Maybe Costas didn't want to travel far any more.  

Those three are all also repeat countries for him... maybe it just felt like the right time to start a new era.

• Like 1

The Kevin Durant interview on the Bill Simmons podcast is really, really good.

A little too much Brady/Boston stuff, but really good. And every time Simmons complained about people, Durant said "it's not about you." Nice.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The Kevin Durant interview on the Bill Simmons podcast is really, really good.

A little too much Brady/Boston stuff, but really good. And every time Simmons complained about people, Durant said "it's not about you." Nice.

I got around to listening to it on Friday night*.

Bill kissed his ass and got Chris Farley/Adam Sandler voice when he was with him in person, but since Durant was on the failed HBO show, they had hours of rapport. Durant tried to push off the 2010 tweet on a Penny Hardaway comment yet Bill let it go. Bill didn't ask about him breaking the engagement. It seemed controlled as his handlers wanted a story out before Saturday night.

Haven't seen your mom? Fly her out. It's not like there not any flights. Bill worked with Roc Nation for all of that.  If this was radio, that interview would be "payola".

*-While I was listening to the podcast,  I also had the PBS Gershwin Prize for Smokey Robinson on TV, but the artists honoring him were  spare and audience shots didn't even have folks lip the lyrics he wrote and the song arrangements sucked. I lowered the volume. If y'all remember and JoJo, you get a lot of her singing as she's trying to reinvent herself into the next Lisa Stansfield as she got two sets.