The Sports Media Thread

12 hours ago, Cujo said:

in memoriam

[REALLY LONG LIST]

All those names and no Chris Berman.  SMDH!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Britt McHenry got laid off too. She's the sideline reporter that got suspended a couple years ago for berating a tow lot employee on camera. I can't really feel too bad for her. 

Those SportsCenter anchors that dont provide much else to the company are a dime a dozen. Britt McHenry was one of them. Plus, like you said, she was caught berating someone "beneath" her, so I really don't have any sympathy to give her.

With the layoffs of some specific ESPN writers, the local coverage writer/blogger who may have been a newspaper reporter prior also illustrates a problem which not just ESPN is facing.....

Teams, especially NCAA teams, restricting access to players and coaching staffs. 

If you cannot be at the track for NASCAR interviews, so why have a cadre of reporters?

If you decide to reduce your inventory of a certain conference, why have reporters locally who cannot get access?

From the linked story:

“I'm doing a big profile of a player at Navy. He is a senior from Mississippi. They have bent over backward getting me anything and everything I need for the story. They lined me up a 45-minute phone interview with him. They also set up an interview with the Navy head coach.

“It took me five months last year to get into the office of Ole Miss' coach. And we're the largest paper in the state. I'm sorry, but the subject kind of works me up.”

The Player's Tribune and Uninterrupted can tell the player's story and the teams can now hire one of these now out of work writers to control the narrative more by themselves.

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I remember hearing him say that he was never allowed to have anyone guest on the BS Report podcast who worked for another sports media network, which is dumb in the same way that Bill Wirtz not televising home Blackhawks games was dumb. That really limits the amount of people you can talk to about sports. It all funnels to the same place. 

That's a little revisionist history on his part as I still have a few ESPN/Grantland episodes on an older Mac Mini.  He had Al Michaels, Bob Costas, Cris Collinsworth, Carles Barkley, Katie Nolan and Rob Stone as guests in his last few months.  Al Michaels was on like twice a year. 

On 04/27/2017 at 5:18 PM, Cujo said:

Andy Katz has gotta land on CBS/Turner, right?

Not really. For NCAA hoops, CBS/CBSSN currently has three "insiders":

Seth Davis

Jon Rothstein

Gary Parrish

Matt Norlander does digital only and they had Sam Veceine as a writer until this time last year. Veceine is now at Sporting News.

Campus Insiders could be the prime landing spot for Katz, McMurphy, and other college writers laid off.

*-Now, on Monday, ESPN had 42 college football writers/bloggers. Today, they have 17, which is twice as much as any other media outlet.

Edited by dfwabel
*-added

I know only dfwabel and I care, but TrueHoop pod was killed reborn as the Basketball Analogy. Amin, Wos, Jade, Tom Haberstroh and Ethan Strauss soundalike Pablo Torre remain.

Amin had some nice words about Ethan in the introductory pod. Rumor has it Woj wanted Strauss gone because Ethan killed him online years ago.

And of course they still managed to make space for Kayleigh and Jade's stupid mom on a Friday mailbag. ?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I know only dfwabel and I care, but TrueHoop pod was killed reborn as the Basketball Analogy. Amin, Wos, Jade, Tom Haberstroh and Ethan Strauss soundalike Pablo Torre remain.

Amin had some nice words about Ethan in the introductory pod. Rumor has it Woj wanted Strauss gone because Ethan killed him online years ago.

And of course they still managed to make space for Kayleigh and Jade's stupid mom on a Friday mailbag. ?

Ethan's "Warriors World" piece in question has made the rounds in the last week.

Wos was on Slate's "Hang Up and Listen" for the whole show this week and layoffs were discussed first.

Andrew Brandt spent 15 minutes detailing how it went down with him and how he handled it as an attorney.

Jim Miller spent another hour with Deitsch this week too.

Even with these layoffs, except for NHL, NASCAR, golf, they still have 3-7x the staff per sport than FOX/FS1, NBCSN, CBS, Turner*.

*-Sport specific networks notwithstanding.

I'm listening to Hang Up and Listen for the first time.

Some people really have a voice for print, you know?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'm listening to Hang Up and Listen for the first time.

Some people really have a voice for print, you know?

I listen to Slate when it drops. One of the few I don't wait until Thursday or Friday night to start listening for the week.

Just be glad that you heard Wos for an hour in which he didn't bring up the damn Knicks.

Baby steps, DG. Baby steps.

A show that's been on Sunday mornings on ESPN for nearly 30 years has come to a close today.  Thanks for a very informative and cordial sports discussion, "The Sports Reporters"

It's being replaced with E:60, whatever that is.  It has Bob Ley, so it's probably a snoozer.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

It's being replaced with E:60, whatever that is.  It has Bob Ley, so it's probably a snoozer.

Its own version of Real Sports/60 Minutes.  E:60 would often run on most Tuesday nights when they didn't have a live event.

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

A show that's been on Sunday mornings on ESPN for nearly 30 years has come to a close today.  Thanks for a very informative and cordial sports discussion, "The Sports Reporters"

Any day w/o Mike Lupica on TV is instantly a good day.

• Like 1