The Sports Media Thread

Chris Berman's wife died yesterday (today is his birthday) when she rear ended another vehicle before her own veered off the road.  The other person, who also died, went into a ditch and hit a pole; Mrs. Berman went into a body of water.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Larry Wilmore (formerly the new Colbert, kind of) now has a podcast on the Ringer network. It's called Black on the Air.

The Ringer seems to have found its way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 5/10/2017 at 11:24 AM, DG_Now said:

Larry Wilmore (formerly the new Colbert, kind of) now has a podcast on the Ringer network. It's called Black on the Air.

The Ringer seems to have found its way.

Larry Wilmore is really good when he wants to do comedy, but he's drier than the Sahara when he doesn't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm halfway through his interview with Norman Lear.

It's interesting in an "old guy says old guy stuff" way.

Norman Lear's kids range from 21.....to 70!!

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'm halfway through his interview with Norman Lear.

It's interesting in an "old guy says old guy stuff" way.

Norman Lear's kids range from 21.....to 70!!

I heard Mr. Lear on another podcast last year (a hip-hop podcast no less), and all I can say is that I wish could be as fluid and sharp as he is by the time I'm in my mid-90s (God willing).  The man created/produced some of my favorite all-time TV shows, and there's no one that could come close to change television the way he did.  While Aaron Spelling and Garry Marshall were putting out "escapism" TV in the '70s and 80s, Lear and his company put out TV as about as real as it gets.

• Like 3

It's between Norman Lear and David Chase. Norman Lear did television that was miles ahead of its contemporaries; Chase did television that challenged and arguably usurped the supremacy of film. It's a worthy argument for sure because obviously you can't have the latter without the former.

Also I don't know if this thread is representative but how the :censored: many NBA podcasts can there even be

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 05/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, MadmanLA said:

I heard Mr. Lear on another podcast last year (a hip-hop podcast no less), and all I can say is that I wish could be as fluid and sharp as he is by the time I'm in my mid-90s (God willing).  The man created/produced some of my favorite all-time TV shows, and there's no one that could come close to change television the way he did.  While Aaron Spelling and Garry Marshall were putting out "escapism" TV in the '70s and 80s, Lear and his company put out TV as about as real as it gets.

But keep in mind Lear adapted two BBC shows to the American audience in "All In The Family" and "Sanford & Son" as his his first hits then spinoff series took him to legendary status.

• Like 1

I apologize if this came up...this is the first I've actually seen of it written.  And it's on a little Big Ten football site...

http://saturdaytradition.com/wisconsin-football/popular-espn-show-mike-mike-ending/

Mike & Mike has been OK, though I certainly could throw some criticism.  Greenberg essentially being replaced by Trey Wingo?  Whatever.

But Greenberg having a three hour live show on ESPN (i.e., not ESPN 2)?  So am I to understand that SportsCenter's no longer going to be played over and over in the AM (well maybe on ESPN News)?

This almost seems like big step in the direction away from highlight shows and toward being a sports version of cable news.  Whether it's the internet, short attention spans, or whatever.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I apologize if this came up...this is the first I've actually seen of it written.  And it's on a little Big Ten football site...

http://saturdaytradition.com/wisconsin-football/popular-espn-show-mike-mike-ending/

Mike & Mike has been OK, though I certainly could throw some criticism.  Greenberg essentially being replaced by Trey Wingo?  Whatever.

But Greenberg having a three hour live show on ESPN (i.e., not ESPN 2)?  So am I to understand that SportsCenter's no longer going to be played over and over in the AM (well maybe on ESPN News)?

This almost seems like big step in the direction away from highlight shows and toward being a sports version of cable news.  Whether it's the internet, short attention spans, or whatever.  

SportsCenter will air on ESPN2 weekdays while the Greenberg show is on ESPN.  In addition, it was announced on Monday that SportsCenter will essentially go digital on the app and .com. 

Here is their own release concerning today's upfronts.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/05/media-tip-sheet-espn-upfront-2017/

Three hours of Mike Greenberg, two hours of First Take, 90 mins of NFL Live, 30 mins of OTL, ATH, PTI and the like.

So quality is an inverse of time at the 4-letter now.

• Like 4

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Three hours of Mike Greenberg, two hours of First Take, 90 mins of NFL Live, 30 mins of OTL, ATH, PTI and the like.

So quality is an inverse of time at the 4-letter now.

It's basically a television version of sports talk radio.

So have they laid off Mike Golic too? I'm really looking forward to Mike & Mike.

Either way, with the Golic/ESPN split, his son Jake tweeted this:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

EDIT: Apparently Golic will remain with ESPN, but he and Greenberg will split. Still, not a good look to spread your assets thin like that.

Edited by DustDevil61
Split, spread thin

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Let's see what's going on over at FS1:

You know, if Fox's strategy was to pick up blowhards like Whitlock, Cowherd, and Bayless only to publicly roast them on a daily basis... I have to admit, I'd watch that. 

(not that putting microphones in front of Lavar Ball on a regular basis is a great idea either)

2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

So have they laid off Mike Golic too? I'm really looking forward to Mike & Mike.

Either way, with the Golic/ESPN split, his son Jake tweeted this:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

EDIT: Apparently Golic will remain with ESPN, but he and Greenberg will split. Still, not a good look to spread your assets thin like that.

ESPN executives did not end the show, Mike Greenberg (and his agency, CAA) did.

The Mike & Mike brand has been in the news for the last two years, mostly for potential changes to the show. In May 2015, during its annual upfronts for ad buyers, ESPN boldly announced the show would move from its long-time Bristol, Connecticut, location to ABC’s Times Square studio in New York City, beginning in February 2016. The move was designed to turn Mike & Mike into a Good Morning America-style program, including interacting with the ABC show, which is also under the Disney aegis. The move never happened. ESPN pulled the plug on the idea a couple of months later. But as Jim Miller reported in The Hollywood Reporter last month, CAA recently closed a deal for Greenberg “that makes him one of the highest-paid sports personalities at ESPN and beyond (reportedly north of $6.5 million a year).” ESPN would not offer such a deal for Greenberg merely to continue his radio program.

Greenberg and CAA forced the decision, especially since he and his wife want to live in Manhattan.

SN: We hear your show will be produced in New York, not Bristol. Dream come true for a native New Yorker? 

MG: It would be great. I grew up on the campus of NYU (New York University). When I was growing up, I told my parents, "I want to go to NYU." My parents said, "Listen Michael, you’re going to live your whole life in New York, go experience something else." P.S. I’ve never lived in New York again. I left in 1985 to go to Evanston, I went to Northwestern (University). I loved it there. I got a job in Chicago. Loved it there. Ended up meeting and marrying my wife (Stacy Greenberg) there. So Chicago has become very much like a second home to me. But New York is great. It’s a wonderful place. I think it would be very exciting. So if that does work out, I would be thrilled. We talked about doing it a couple of years ago. We were going to move "Mike & Mike" here. Some things happened and it didn’t work out. That was disappointing. So I really do hope that it works out this time. I think it would be great for the show.

6 minutes ago, GFB said:

Let's see what's going on over at FS1:

You know, if Fox's strategy was to pick up blowhards like Whitlock, Cowherd, and Bayless only to publicly roast them on a daily basis... I have to admit, I'd watch that. 

(not that putting microphones in front of Lavar Ball on a regular basis is a great idea either)

Frank the Tank would be a good addition to Fox Sports lineup. If you're going to assemble a cartoon lineup, might as well go all the way.

I think I actually stumbled onto a great idea. Put a bunch of YouTube blowhards on Fox Sports 1. Frank the Tank. Eat Da P***y. A million others. Pay them nothing. People watch and call them stupid, etc. Profit.

It's Embrace Debate stretched to its natural conclusion.