The Sports Media Thread

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, you can do a lot as a television personality until you mess with the sponsors.

Forces of nature, I believe they are called.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Richard Deitsch ranked his top 25 play-by-play broadcasters

Some quick caveats: I did not include announcers working on sports television outside of the United States. If I did broadcasters such as Galvão Bueno, Bob Cole and Martin Tyler would be on the list. (Update: Andrés Cantor of Telemundo would definitely be on my Top 25 below. This was a total screwup on my part. I initially listed Cantor under broadcasters who work outside the U.S but he indeed calls games from inside the U.S. even if many of the teams he calls are non-U.S. teams.) I stayed away from broadcasters who are locally based, such as the fabulous Gary Cohen (New York Mets), Pat Hughes (Chicago Cubs), Jon Miller (San Francisco Giants) and Merrill Reese (Philadelphia Eagles). There are also a ton of quality broadcasters who did not make my Top 25 who would easily make other lists, such as Marv Albert (a likely Top 10 for someone else), Adam Amin, Jason Benetti, Tim Brando, Bob Costas, Joe Davis, Dave Flemming, Dan Hicks, Matt Vasgersian, Ted Robinson, Bob Wischusen and on and on.

His top 5:

5- Mike Tirico

4- Ian Eagle

3- Mike Breen

2- Al Michaels

1-Doc Emrick

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I personally think Gary Thorne is one of the best. I really enjoy listening to anything he’s calling. Ernie Johnson’s a pretty underrated baseball voice in my opinion, too.

Other than that, that was a pretty good list. I’m definitely a fan of Michaels and Doc.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

When Simmons isn't up his own ass and speaks straightforward from a position of knowledge, he's pretty good.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/bill-simmons/2017/10/13/16469520/espn-jemele-hill-suspension-week-6-nfl-picks

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

20 minutes ago, CS85 said:

ESPN cancelled their Barstool show.

DM2MxvkWkAInXuk.jpg:large

Really? You didn't think you could "distance" your efforts fron Barstool by hiring Barstool's biggest faces and calling it Barstool Van Talk?

Color me shocked.

• Like 2

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

29 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Did the show ever actually air?

Yes. They did their first episode. Over the weekend, they had recorded interviews with Dan Patrick for this week's second show and their podcast, Pardon My Take.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

44 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Did the show ever actually air?

Their first (and only) episode with Scott Van Pelt as the guest.

-------

I will admit, I am a Pardon My Take fan and I listen to all the podcasts. It's a fun, smart show and has clout in the sports/sports media world but they're only going to get so far in the "mainstream media" with the Barstool name attached, even though it's not really the "Barstool brand" people think of when they hear Barstool. A lot of people at ESPN like PMT and I don't think the cancellation will have an effect on the podcast but I feel for the PMT guys.

The way the statement reads it seems it was less about PMT and the first episode, it's more about Barstool (read: Portnoy, Dave). Calling the show Barstool Van Talk didn't help ESPN either, it should have just been something related to Pardon My Take but I don't know if that would have flown with Barstool.

IEI5Tg1.png

16 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The way the statement reads it seems it was less about PMT and the first episode, it's more about Barstool (read: Portnoy, Dave). Calling the show Barstool Van Talk didn't help ESPN either, it should have just been something related to Pardon My Take but I don't know if that would have flown with Barstool.

It was about Barstool, and I believe it was Portnoy who fought tooth and nail to make sure that the show with Big Cat & PFTC was a Barstool branded program.  Ironically enough it was that very thing which likely got the thing so hastily axed.

Bad enough ESPN's dealing with the Jemele Hill fallout.  Didn't need to fight on multiple fronts, I guess, but it was a very stupid decision to validate such a grody enterprise with a program in the first place. 

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

ESPN wanted the Pardon My Take duo in a vehicle without the Barstool name.

Portnoy wouldn't allow it.

ESPN acquiesced.

ESPN acts stunned that there was blowback on promoting the Barstool brand, axes the show.

In the end, ESPN looks bad to everyone who thinks Barstool is trash for greenlighting the show, and subjects themselves to the numbnuts Clay Travis contingent for canceling it and giving in to the no-good liberal PC SJWs #DBAP. If ESPN keeps picking exactly the wrong way to go about doing things, they'll land the NHL broadcast deal in no time.

• Like 6

I just don't really know what ESPN expected with Barstool in the title.

To add to Sodboy's point, the actual vehicle (Vanny Woodhead) the PMT vehicle was filmed in is PMT's. I'm sure they wrote if off as a Barstool business expense or something but the show was all Pardon My Take. IIRC, outside of PMT (Big Cat, PFT and their producer Hank), there was little to no Barstool in the actual production of the show. It was all Embassy Row and ESPN.

IEI5Tg1.png