The Sports Media Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Here come the Deadspin layoffs. Hannah Keyser, who was behind their Pivot To Video that was Actually Good when everyone else's Pivots To Video were Actually Bad, is Actually Gone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 10:49 PM, CubsFanBudMan said:

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution just ended SEC Country, Land of 10 and the rest of their "Diehards" sports verticals. They killed off the NFL one -- All 22 -- right before the playoffs.

I'm sure many hadn't heard of them, but they hired away legit beat writers of college teams and that makes me wonder if The Athletic is about to expand beyond pro markets (and national college sites). Still, if they really want to "replace the underappreciated newspaper sports section," I'm not sure how they get there without dipping into preps. Maybe those are the scraps that will be left to print.

The Athletic Atlanta, Baltimore and Wisconsin began today and the number of areas covered is now 32.

http://awfulannouncing.com/athletic/the-athletic-adds-19-college-football-writers-expands-into-atlanta-baltimore-and-wisconsin.html

Yeah, The Athletic hired the Land of 10 Iowa Hawkeyes beat writer, too.

I like what they're doing -- and the fact that their paywall comes with no ads and no auto-play videos as opposed to newspapers that just tried to add one right after bringing back pop-up ads -- but not enough to pay... yet.

Hurricanes fired radio play-by-play guy, Chuck Kaiton, today. Kaiton had been with the franchise for 39 years going back to Hartford. Carolina will join Dallas and Buffalo as the only NHL teams to simulcast their TV broadcasts on the radio.

The real relevant information from the News & Observer article:

Kaiton’s agent submitted a counterproposal to the Hurricanes after Kaiton’s contract expired on June 30, but the team stood firm on its final offer to the broadcaster, which included a dramatic pay cut as the Hurricanes and new owner Tom Dundon attempt to reckon with their money-losing radio broadcast while giving Kaiton the opportunity to recoup some of the losses by selling sponsorships, which is the kind of arrangement more typical on the minor-league level.

---

The expiration of his contract combined with the change in ownership from Peter Karmanos to Dundon brought a re-examination of the economics of the team’s radio deal. The team pays WCMC-99.9 FM to carry the broadcast, incurring six-figure losses while apparently drawing fewer than 2,000 listeners per game. Kaiton’s salary was a big part of that expense.

“Radio is not a prudent financial decision,” Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said earlier this summer. “It’s important, I think, to have it for the people that still want to listen to it, but it’s something from a business standpoint that doesn’t make a lot of sense.”

FULL ARTICLE

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Pretty sure "radio is not a prudent financial decision" doesn't apply to all markets. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The sneering nerds who make up the Carolina Hurricanes fanbase have been going on about how no one who matters even listens to the radio anymore so firing a veteran broadcaster is Actually Good and now this money can be put to better use. I'm guessing the better use is an assistant coach who will help them shoot more bad shots. There's some real Hockey Math going on here that this franchise that no one likes cost almost half a billion dollars but simply they can't afford to produce a free-to-air broadcast in service of selling tickets to games.

I listen to baseball games on the radio all the time.  It's an amazing thing. 

• Like 3
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

The sneering nerds who make up the Carolina Hurricanes fanbase have been going on about how no one who matters even listens to the radio anymore so firing a veteran broadcaster is Actually Good and now this money can be put to better use. I'm guessing the better use is an assistant coach who will help them shoot more bad shots. There's some real Hockey Math going on here that this franchise that no one likes cost almost half a billion dollars but simply they can't afford to produce a free-to-air broadcast in service of selling tickets to games.

The fact that the Hurricanes were paying for airtime tells you all you need to know about how badly that franchise has been run.  I'm (ostensibly) part of the Raleigh radio market, and despite knowing what their actual listener numbers are (and while it's not 2,000, it's not exactly gangbusters, either), if you're in a situation where the station isn't paying you for the rights to broadcast your games?  You're doing it completely ass-backwards.

The Chuck Kaiton firing doesn't surprise me; to be honest while Chuck's a great guy, he's been overpaid for years for this market.  Hopefully he finds a home in a real hockey town with an ownership group that doesn't have its head completely up its own ass.  As for Dundon, this is another case of trying to put out a Karmanos fire by throwing gasoline on it.  He's going to wind up moving the team; it's just a question of when.  He might as well napalm the bridge from the outset so that by the time the NHL actually allows him to move 'em, he can say, "Look at all the changes I made and fans still don't respond."

nav-logo.png

17 hours ago, ElwoodCuse said:

Who listens to sports on the radio besides people in their cars, so what

I listen to baseball on the radio all the time, whether at the shore, back yard, over the TV broadcast, etc.

I listen to radio Eagles broadcasts exclusively, unless the timing is just too far off from TV.  I don't watch much Flyers or Sixers, but their radio broadcasts are far superior to TV.

Honestly, I think the only people that don't listen to sports on the radio at least some non-insignificant amount of time are people in areas that simply don't have great broadcasts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RichardWitham said:

ah WEEI home of dennis & callahan, of METCO  gorilla fame.... 

Correct! 

I naively thought that that was vintage Boston, but Minihane has carried the miserable racist torch for a new generation ever since John Dennis got demoted for being an alcoholic.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The palace intrigue around WEEI is somehow dumber, louder, and more racist than that of 670 the Score. I thought Chicago was the clubhouse leader in sports talk radio hosts forming a Venn diagram of ignorant louts and grown-up high school drama queens. Goddamn East Coast has to beat us at everything.