DG_Now

The Sports Media Thread

Recommended Posts

Speaking of racists, Kirk Minihane officially out at WEEI. Going to go start a podcast for WEEI's parent company, something called Radio.com. Kind of a brilliant corporate win-win; Minihane gets to curse and be a bigoted miserable sleazebag without FCC or advertiser worries, and the bosses get to say they didn't fire him but shunt him off to nowheresville. I can't believe we're at a point where Gerry Callahan is the good cop on that show, but what could be more 2018. It seems unfair that all the newspaper will go out of business before the sports talk radio stations do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Digby said:

something called Radio.com

It's all Entercom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

It's all Entercom.

 Correct...Entercom also bought the CBS radio stations about a couple years ago, and Radio.com was included in the CBS Radio divestiture to Entercom.

 

Meanwhile, Fox and MLB extend their partnership through 2028, with a 36-percent increase in fees (going from the current $525 million/year to $715 million annually) starting in 2022; the current Fox-MLB deal runs through the end of 2021, and as part of the new agreement, Big Fox will be airing more LDS and LCS games once again, although not full series, with some LDS/LCS games still staying on FS1.  MLB also signed a new agreement with new streaming service DAZN (pronounced 'Da Zone'), to offer a new highlight show, plus live game cut-ins on certain nights, not unlike MLB Strike Zone.

 

Also included in this story, Rob Manfred signed an extension to continue as Commissioner of Baseball, through 2024.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 3:49 PM, DG_Now said:

I'm three minutes into Macolm Gladwell's theory of the World Eugenics Basketball League on the Simmons podcast and I'm deeply uncomfortable.

 

EDIT: It's actually more stupid than offensive.

That's the problem with podcasts especially ALL the garbage on the Ringer, they have what 30!!! different regular podcasts, not counting specials. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:32 AM, McCarthy said:

 

Simmons was smart to not get too into the weeds with him. 

 

I think Gladwell is losing his fastball. He had a tweet recently that made me go, "I guess all the smart people get dumb and out of touch when they gain a level of notoriety".

Simmons is a misogynistic pile of puke and garbage. He screwed over a bunch of his employees at Grantland by refusing to inform them that "Oh yeah, I'm kind of leaving ESPN, but really I've been fired and oh yeah, that kind of means that I'm leaving Grantland, hey!!! it's just like that one episode of Mad Men when the whole gang got together in secret and formed their own company and stole all the ad clients, boy Mad Men was such an awesome show wasn't it? And since I'm leaving Grantland that means that ESPN is gonna shut it down so... yeah. Oh, yeah, I'm also taking some of the writers and staff who worked for me on Grantland with me to wherever it is I'm gonna end up but most likely not you, and yeah, ESPN doesn't want you either so....but what about that Mad Men show, huh? Better than Breaking Bad, that's for sure!"

 

He's like Trump in a way. He refused to let any of his columns or pieces on ESPN be edited in any way, which led to him, doing 15,000 words recapping a two part documentary on the Eagles that took longer to read than to watch the documentary, which how the hell is THAT possible? Then one of the final straws for ESPN was Simmons having one of his innumerable gambling/fantasy leagues that had several porn stars as members and Simmons couldn't see how Disney would have ANY problem with that or why that might be an awful look for ESPN/Disney. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

That's the problem with podcasts especially ALL the garbage on the Ringer, they have what 30!!! different regular podcasts, not counting specials. 

 

Nobody is making you listen to them. 

 

 

12 minutes ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

Simmons is a misogynistic pile of puke and garbage. He screwed over a bunch of his employees at Grantland by refusing to inform them that "Oh yeah, I'm kind of leaving ESPN, but really I've been fired and oh yeah, that kind of means that I'm leaving Grantland, hey!!! it's just like that one episode of Mad Men when the whole gang got together in secret and formed their own company and stole all the ad clients, boy Mad Men was such an awesome show wasn't it? And since I'm leaving Grantland that means that ESPN is gonna shut it down so... yeah. Oh, yeah, I'm also taking some of the writers and staff who worked for me on Grantland with me to wherever it is I'm gonna end up but most likely not you, and yeah, ESPN doesn't want you either so....but what about that Mad Men show, huh? Better than Breaking Bad, that's for sure!"

 

Did you work for Grantland or something? 

 

12 minutes ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

He's like Trump in a way. He refused to let any of his columns or pieces on ESPN be edited in any way, which led to him, doing 15,000 words recapping a two part documentary on the Eagles that took longer to read than to watch the documentary, which how the hell is THAT possible? Then one of the final straws for ESPN was Simmons having one of his innumerable gambling/fantasy leagues that had several porn stars as members and Simmons couldn't see how Disney would have ANY problem with that or why that might be an awful look for ESPN/Disney. 

 

Nobody is making you read him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

 

Nobody is making you listen to them. 

 

 

 

Did you work for Grantland or something? 

 

 

Nobody is making you read him. 

Congratulations on three consecutive non sequiturs.

 

But watch as I play that game even better than you can.

 

Nobody is making you reply to my posts.

 

Do you work for The Ringer or something?

 

Nobody is making you read my posts.

 

See how much better I am at this than you are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

Congratulations on three consecutive non sequiturs.

 

But watch as I play that game even better than you can.

 

Nobody is making you reply to my posts.

 

Do you work for The Ringer or something?

 

Nobody is making you read my posts.

 

See how much better I am at this than you are?

 

7waKd3M.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe things are getting so confrontational with the shut up man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

The fact that you replied to my post means that you lose and I win.

Keep up this faux outrage at everything for much longer and you won't be around here to savor that victory of yours.

 

(The preceding was an official CCSLC moderator statement)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Athletic is having a Cyber Monday sale - $24 for a year access. I signed up. Pls direct me to the race and social justice section. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The Athletic is having a Cyber Monday sale - $24 for a year access. I signed up. Pls direct me to the race and social justice section. 

Just be careful with the teams/league's you subscribe to, you get several updates every hour if you don't opt out of the alerts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The Athletic is having a Cyber Monday sale - $24 for a year access. I signed up. Pls direct me to the race and social justice section. 

 

where do you see that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

LINK

 

Thx.  I couldn't find anything on their site that showed that price.

 

For $24 why not?  

 

 

EDIT: Jayson Stark is a Phillies writer again?  Cool.  I used to like him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

LINK

 

Glad you found it. It took me a couple of visits to find the banner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.