The Sports Media Thread

Drew Magary hasn't published anything in a couple of weeks, and Deadspin only refers to a vague illness without any details. In today's fill-in Funbag, Albert Burneko essentially eulogized him.

I hope everything's okay. Drew's a good one.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

With Gawker Media's unflagging commitment to transparency, we'll know what's up any day now. Just kidding! If he wrote for Barstool they'd already have posted "Big Dumb Drunk Idiot Stops Showing Up To Work Because He's Too Drunk To Write Poop Jokes" but he doesn't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

His GQ stuff, where he's presumably under the auspices of an editor and not just getting paid for long message board posts, is much better than his Deadspin stuff, which was cool at one time but feels so rote now.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 1:57 PM, McCarthy said:
My guess is he got too drunk at their awards show and injured himself somehow. 

He drank too much, passed out, and they had to operate on him. 

Glad he's okay. I genuinely enjoy reading him. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 12/19/2018 at 1:06 AM, the admiral said:

If he wrote for Barstool they'd already have posted "Big Dumb Drunk Idiot Stops Showing Up To Work Because He's Too Drunk To Write Poop Jokes" but he doesn't.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:57 PM, McCarthy said:
My guess is he got too drunk at their awards show and injured himself somehow. 

You'll never go broke betting that someone who writes for a living is an alcoholic, huh.

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

He drank too much, passed out, and they had to operate on him. 

Glad he's okay. I genuinely enjoy reading him. 

This tweet seems to be deleted but I'm sorry for giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Looking forward to his "reckoning with my alcoholism" post as a follow-up to his "reckoning with my being a dip :censored: misogynist fratboy" post.

(p.s. I don't think of myself as a prescriptivist by any measure, but a professional writer saying "prolly" is unacceptable.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 10:13 AM, RyanMcD29 said:

With the exception of losing the F1 rights to ESPN last year, NBCSN's really become the spiritual successor to Speed Channel. They also landed the IMSA rights away from Fox/FS1, so the 24 Hours of Daytona will be on NBCSN later this month.

And FS1 is the spiritual successor and literal one to Fox Soccer Channel, it'll turn out. Though Fox Soccer never had World Cup rights, which might be all they need to hang on. I know Disney-Fox will have to sell off the local affiliates, but is there any rumor as to what'll happen to FS1 and FS2 under Disney? ESPN8, finally?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

6 minutes ago, Digby said:

And FS1 is the spiritual successor and literal one to Fox Soccer Channel, it'll turn out. Though Fox Soccer never had World Cup rights, which might be all they need to hang on. I know Disney-Fox will have to sell off the local affiliates, but is there any rumor as to what'll happen to FS1 and FS2 under Disney? ESPN8, finally?

I heard that Fox was keeping FS1 and FS2, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Drive for five..... Shots to my head

With the Seats burning at Citi ahead

31 minutes ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

I heard that Fox was keeping FS1 and FS2, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

"New FOX" basically consists of: Fox Broadcasting (the OTA channel which airs "The Simpsons" and NFL), the 28 Fox Television Stations they already own (mostly in NFL markets), Fox News Channel,  Fox Business, FS1/2, the Big Ten Network and Fox Deportes.

Edited by dfwabel
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

Cool, thanks y'all. New FOX is mostly a national television concern.

That and the new company is essentially no longer producing entertainment content/programming and distributing content. FOX will be the only broadcast TV network not affiliated with a movie studio

These are always fascinating to me: through the magic of the Usenet archives, here's a guide to NHL TV and radio coverage from September '94, heading into the season that almost wasn't but then kinda was.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.sport.hockey/3NtD0-3qnSg

Of note:

- The Mighty Ducks had a radio affiliate in Greensboro? Why?

- Islanders radio seemed to be daisy-chained across a bunch of small local stations: one for Nassau, two for Suffolk, and one for the city, but its signal doesn't seem to get to Manhattan or Brooklyn. One was the station for Five Towns College -- there is truly nothing new under the sun.

- The Habs had nationwide francophone radio coverage through Radio-Canada, the French service of the CBC. Nice deal.

- No English media for the Nordiques, but they did have the bilingual Mike Bossy working en français, which feels like it was a pretty good get. I wonder if they would have tried to make some anglophone inroads in the Maritimes as the easternmost team if they had lasted into the more media-heavy era to come.

- Speaking of the more media-heavy era to come, everyone got on Old Man Wirtz for the Blackhawks' no-home-telecast policy, and rightly so. But if you scroll down, there were a lot of less-than-comprehensive TV deals around the league in 1994. The Sharks, in the enormous San Francisco TV market, were only slated to telecast 55 of 84 games. 60 for the Stars, 35 for the Panthers, just over 50 for the Lightning, 45 for the Ducks, and these were emerging markets that should have been getting all the television exposure they could get. Maybe that was all the television exposure they could get. Presumably, the non-televised games were at home. There were also teams that worked a free-road-pay-home split like the Lakers did with KCAL up until just a few years ago: the Bruins, Flyers, and Wings seemed to do that. But the Wings and Penguins also have games set aside as pay-per-view, as the Hawks did with the hated "HawkVision." I guess what I'm getting at is that the Hawks' crime wasn't "committing to the season reservation holders" in the first place, it was adhering to that while the rest of the world passed them by. It just took the NHL the longest to do that.

- For going on 25 years, there hasn't been that much turnover in the announcing ranks. Lots of familiar names in the list, including some in the minors who made it to the NHL. I feel like we're about to lose a ton of classic NHL voices -- Rick Jeanneret, Pat Foley, Ken Daniels, Joe Bowen, Mike Lange -- in one fell swoop.  Hope not.

On YouTube, there's several of those NHL-produced VHS recordings from postseasons back in the late '80s and early '90s, and last well, a couple of July's ago now, I was watching the 1990 edition and, during their brief recap of the Whalers-Bruins first round meeting, I heard a voice I didn't expect to hear - Rick Peckham. Turns out he did the Whalers from '83-'95 before coming to Tampa, where he's been ever since. 

I was surprised, because I can't really remember ever hearing Peckham talk much about the Whalers. Not even recently after the Hurricanes did their Whalers Night promotion (incidentally, Carolina is Tampa Bay's next opponent; off chance there might be some talk only because that promotional event was still a pretty short time ago). If I hadn't stumbled across that video I might've never realized that part of his background. I guess there was something marginally appropriate about that the Lightning were the last team to play the Whalers in Hartford, meaning Peckham would've been in the building for that game, assuming that the Lightning's television partner(s) - the main one of which, it appears, has remained a constant throughout seeing as how Sun Sports, nee Sunshine Network, was their partner in the link above - aired the game to begin with. 

John Kelly, huh? Looks like even I can figure out some of the dominoes here. Kelly left Tampa to go to Denver when the Nords moved, and Peckham moved from Hartford to fill Kelly's vacancy. Thus creating an opportunity for John Forslund to enter the ranks. 

On a non-Lightning note - I came across the CBC broadcast in Windsor and Western Canada of the final original Winnipeg Jets game. Apparently Brian Heyward did color commentary for CBC once upon a time. Who knew? 

EDIT:

-Fox will show 11 games this season including: the all-star game,
  2 regular season games, 6 playoff games, and 3 Stanley Cup final games.
  There are no home market blackouts on Fox games.

Not 11 individual games on 11 individual Sundays, but 11 games in regional coverage beginning in April. And while I know this was the 48-game season, I'm assuming based on how every other broadcast schedule that this was based on an 82-game season, so, yeah. This was a national television partner 25 years ago. That package sure feels pathetically weak. 

spacer.png