The Sports Media Thread

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

According to ESPN, Schilling's segment was cut due to time constraints. As someone who worked in master control, I think that's probably all that happened. Considering the fact that live TV was involved, I seriously doubt it was anything more than a guy in the control room either having some fun or making a very poorly timed choice. Or it could have been a simple (albeit weird) coincidence - the master control operator needed to find 12 minutes and the Schilling segment fit the bill. In any case, as much as I'd like it to be, I'm reasonably sure that it wasn't some ESPN conspiracy. 

"We now join our regularly scheduled program, already in progress."

Just about every sporting event, that I've ever seen at least, that's gone on longer than what was scheduled has that few-second blurb before the next show comes on.  And that next show is right at the point where it should be had it been on the air since the top of the hour.  The taped programming that was supposed to start at whatever time is generally queued up to start playing as it was supposed to, and whomever at Programming Central doesn't switch over from live programming to recorded programming until all the live obligations are fulfilled.  Live programming ends....quick said blurb is run...then the switch is flipped over to recorded programming.

I've done enough radio and seen enough behind-the-scenes TV work to know that there's regularly scheduled programming already taking place and rolling, ready to be picked up as soon as live TV is over.  Turner always had their scheduled content rolling.  FSN always had their content rolling.  WGN always had their content rolling.  NBCSN always had their content rolling.  Never saw their recorded programming get the middle portion cut off....just the beginning.

This was definitely an ESPN choice, and likely one made from up above.  It was their cheap-shot moment.  ESPN plays by their own rules until their money source tells them to shape up....like when the NFL told ESPN to kill "Playmakers".

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, I mean, who would edit a movie to fit time constraints by cutting the climax?

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I've done enough radio and seen enough behind-the-scenes TV work to know that there's regularly scheduled programming already taking place and rolling, ready to be picked up as soon as live TV is over. 

And I've done more than enough TV to tell you that is not always the case.  Especially when you're waiting for a live event to end. I've been in plenty of situations where I had to "buy time" to make programming fit. Ideally, if you can avoid "joining in progress", you avoid it. I'm not trying to say that there was no way ESPN did this to mess with Schilling. All I'm saying is their excuse for what happened is entirely plausible. 

Seriously, which one of these sounds more likely...

a.) ESPN knew well in advance that the live event playing before the 30 for 30 was going to run long so they planned it out perfectly to make sure Schilling's segment would be the one to get cut just to screw him. 

b.) The live event ran long, the master control operator needed to cut one of two middle segments and chose Schilling's because his segment was a better fit for the time that needed to be made up.

BB52Big.jpg

Knowing how ESPN rolls, can we really believe Option A isn't plausible?

I'm not going full-blown Tin Foil Hat mode, but ESPN has the ability to:

-Edit programming if needed

-Control content on their channels

-Extend commercial breaks ever-so-slightly during games, knowing the officials won't start play until TV is back

-Determine the length of how long the post-game summarizing/analysis goes (PxP & color analyst discuss, sideline reporter extends interviews, etc.)

-Run a few extra promos and commercials after the game until their edited taped programming is synced up

....all in order to fit in removing the portion of the documentary where a recently-fired employee is the climax of the story.

I've worked for an NBA team during the playoffs.  If the game isn't the front end of the doubleheader, the NBA and TV do all they can to extend the game closer to 3 hours long instead of the 2:20-ish regular season games last and the 2.5 hours they have allotted for games that they do have for the front-end games.  Quarter breaks are longer, halftime is longer, and timeouts are longer.  TV will extend the game time if there's a lengthy gap between Game 1 and Game 2 of the doubleheader, and TV will hurry Game 1 along if Game 2 is fast-approaching.  TV will try like hell to avoid starting that second game on another channel if Game 1 is running long.  Game 2 running slowly? No problem...live game coverage is always better than SportsCenter or taped programming.

WGN doesn't cut out the portion of who's won the $10,000 on "America's Funniest Videos" after Cubs games end.  Turner doesn't cut out the end of "Closer" or Andy Griffith taking away Opie's slingshot after Braves games or basketball ends.  FSN didn't cut out Tim Hudson's house when they went to tour his house after Braves coverage ended.  Yadda yadda yadda......

ESPN has long lost the benefit of the doubt when it comes to journalistic integrity and kosher politics with current/former employees.  Whoever thinks Option A isn't a legit option is either an ESPN fellator, living in a cave, or has their head up their dumper.

36 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

WGN doesn't cut out the portion of who's won the $10,000 on "America's Funniest Videos" after Cubs games end.  Turner doesn't cut out the end of "Closer" or Andy Griffith taking away Opie's slingshot after Braves games or basketball ends.  FSN didn't cut out Tim Hudson's house when they went to tour his house after Braves coverage ended.

Quoting to honor this letter-perfect encapsulation of general-interest basic cable.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've been a big Bill Simmons defender for a long time. He introduced a new commentary on sports style that didn't require being an ex-jock, writing for a stodgy old newspaper, or aping SportsCenter catchphrases on local news. He intertwined pop culture with sports, gave a platform to new voices, and created some really special documentaries.

Then he got fired and started The Ringer. The Ringer, so far, is a platform for Simmons to have gotten the band back together -- which isn't a surprise. What has been a surprise is how Simmons has quickly chased any celebrity for their wit and wisdom. Simmons' predictably good podcasts about sports have turned into predictably awkward podcasts with Thinkers and Actors du jour about money and restaurants and whatever. I like Simmons interviewing Howard Beck. I don't need to hear Simmons interview David Chang or "Billionaire Investor Chris Sacca."

I'm not looking for culture from Bill Simmons because he hasn't proved he's sophisticated enough to have engaging conversations on non-sports topics.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I've been a big Bill Simmons defender for a long time. He introduced a new commentary on sports style that didn't require being an ex-jock, writing for a stodgy old newspaper, or aping SportsCenter catchphrases on local news. He intertwined pop culture with sports, gave a platform to new voices, and created some really special documentaries.

Then he got fired and started The Ringer. The Ringer, so far, is a platform for Simmons to have gotten the band back together -- which isn't a surprise. What has been a surprise is how Simmons has quickly chased any celebrity for their wit and wisdom. Simmons' predictably good podcasts about sports have turned into predictably awkward podcasts with Thinkers and Actors du jour about money and restaurants and whatever. I like Simmons interviewing Howard Beck. I don't need to hear Simmons interview David Chang or "Billionaire Investor Chris Sacca."

I'm not looking for culture from Bill Simmons because he hasn't proved he's sophisticated enough to have engaging conversations on non-sports topics.

It's not that surprising. He, along with Kimmel, Carolla, Colbert and Carson Daly have Baby Doll Dixon as his agent and were with Dixon well before IMG acquired the Dixon agency in February 2015.

He is a Boston blogger at heart who has mommy issues and spent his early years in Greenwich, CT.

http://www.greenwichmag.com/g/September-2009/Write-of-Passage-The-Sports-Guy/?cparticle=2&siarticle=1

He got the HBO gig and credits, so the $$$ in being a "producer" is what he desires.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised that he divorces his wife and is engaged to Katie Nolan in five years.

Most of that really didn't make any sense in conjunction with DG's post, so congratulations on staying true to form, bud.

But yeah, I agree with you on that DG. In his efforts to not completely make the Ringer into just Grantland 2.0, he's kinda gotten away from what made Grantland what it was and what the BS Report was. Now of course the Ringer portion is just a newsletter and collection of podcasts at the moment, but Simmons' podcast has definitely been hit and miss with me. The Sacca interview was actually interesting in spite of Simmons' trying to keep up as an "edge of technology" "Internet startup" wannabe, but the restaurant one went straight to the garbage. Didn't even bother.

• Like 2

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

26 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Will he still call college games? I don't watch MNF and I loved him doing college games.

I imagine McDonough will call the bowl games that Tirico did for ESPN, and if he does continue to call college football games, he'll likely work closer to whatever game site is hosting MNF that week.

On 5/7/2016 at 6:39 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

Most of that really didn't make any sense in conjunction with DG's post, so congratulations on staying true to form, bud.

But yeah, I agree with you on that DG. In his efforts to not completely make the Ringer into just Grantland 2.0, he's kinda gotten away from what made Grantland what it was and what the BS Report was. Now of course the Ringer portion is just a newsletter and collection of podcasts at the moment, but Simmons' podcast has definitely been hit and miss with me. The Sacca interview was actually interesting in spite of Simmons' trying to keep up as an "edge of technology" "Internet startup" wannabe, but the restaurant one went straight to the garbage. Didn't even bother.

The Sacca interview I thought was interesting because Sacca did most of the talking. Simmons should've read the vibe and just started firing questions when he could instead of trying to relate himself, or worse, sports, to what Sacca was talking about. I don't really have interest in the restaurateur episode because I know what he'll try to do. 

I like the conversations Simmons has with someone on his level like Michael Rappaport, who is a little annoying, but his enthusiasm overrides his annoyance. Or other sports personalities. But like Louis CK seemed too smart for Simmons to keep up with. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Indeed.  For all of the good Simmons has done in sports journalism, he's still the Sports Guy at heart. It's nice to have other interests, but I don't need him to be the Entertainment Guy. It doesn't work.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This is more and more just becoming the Bill Simmons thread, but it happens I guess.

Anyway, I'm listening to Bill Simmons' latest podcast with Craig Kilborn.... Craig Kilborn is a crazy person. Scatterbrained as all hell.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Remember when people were freaking out that Craig Kilborn was leaving the Daily Show? I sure did. Probably because I was going to miss his hair the most. Funny thing is I never saw Craig on SportsCenter, so I first met him on Comedy Central.

"Cody wants a pony"

EDIT: Listening to the Kilborn show. He's on cocaine, right? I can hear his heart about to explode through the microphone.  OMG

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

EDIT: Listening to the Kilborn show. He's on cocaine, right? I can hear his heart about to explode through the microphone.  OMG

Yeah... 'I don't do interviews because I'm more relaxed that way'  ...looks like.

For someone who refuses interviews, he sure has a lot on his mind to share... about 'stories' he mentions & yet he keeps skipping to another story tease before actually telling the previous one.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Okay, guys, are you sitting down? Because I'm about to change the way you think about everything.

Sporps.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/14/2016 at 4:39 PM, 2001mark said:

Yeah... 'I don't do interviews because I'm more relaxed that way'  ...looks like.

For someone who refuses interviews, he sure has a lot on his mind to share... about 'stories' he mentions & yet he keeps skipping to another story tease before actually telling the previous one.

I found it to be an incredibly frustrating/annoying listen for this reason and Simmons isn't a good enough host to keep him contained or to remind him where his train of thought was going. 

If you have a lot of "irons in the fire" it's important to circle back and conclude each one. The guest isn't going to do that on their own so the host has to be the one to do it. Simmons was doing the opposite - interrupting Kilborn mid story to talk about something entirely different. 

PvO6ZWJ.png