The Sports Media Thread

I mean, it would be one thing if he had some long pattern of racial insensitivity on the air, but I don't think that's the case. Most likely he was cranky about having to work preseason hockey in Berlin, wasn't taking the broadcast seriously, and got sloppy.

Of note, according to the Tribune, the player Foley insulted would not accept his apology. Things are getting a bit salty between the Chicago Blackhawks and some bender who plays in the German league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He didn't retire! He'll probably die with his boots on, yelling "LOOKIT THE WAY THIS COWARDLY RUSSIAN, AS THEY DO, RAN MARNER RIGHINNA THE BOARDS," then keel over and die. Then Ron will say "I guess Don got board to death." 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

UPDATE: as expected, he apologized for it, and people who already didn't like him think he should be fired for it

Wait... WHAT?!

A month or so ago, a brilliantly researched and written piece about the Bears’ throwback jerseys by Jack Silverstein at Windy City Grid Iron pointed out the problems with said jerseys. That would be that they came from a time when black players were banned from the NFL, and how awkward it seemed that the Bears would not be wearing it. This caused the Bears themselves to address it head on in the week leading up to the game, releasing a video with several players commenting on the debate, problem, and why they felt it was important for them to wear the jerseys. 

People got mad... about throwback jerseys???

• Like 3

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I didn't even know that anyone did. I just saw the Bears release a video where George McCaskey and a bunch of players woodenly apologized for their jerseys being from the color-line era. Oh, and big lol to "a contrast between two organizations" as if the Chicago Bears are some kind of model franchise and not two-and-a-half steps at best above the goddamn Cincinnati Bengals. Team makes the playoffs for the first time in eight years and suddenly they have their finger on the pulse of America.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Wait... WHAT?!

People got mad... about throwback jerseys???

Oh, come on. You linked to an article that explains how "people got mad" and it's clearly not just about throwback jerseys but about the history of the Bears franchise and that the jerseys being throw back to weren't available to black players at the time of their existence. And "pausing for reflection" is not the same thing as "getting mad."

I didn't know about George Halas' role in excluding black players from the NFL for a decade+. Now I do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As @the admiral already pointed out, there's no way Foley gets fired over that. If you've watched a Hawks game, you'll know that Pat (and Eddie) make dumb jokes all the time and all in good fun. Obviously, this one was a bit insensitive and it's good that he apologized but it doesn't need to be made into anything more than that. Best for all parties to just move on.

Now, if he continues to make similar insensitive jokes, then that's a different story and the proper consequences will have to happen at that time.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Foley's punishment will be dealing with a few awkward too-excited handshakes from MAGA-hat wearing 'hawks fans during the season.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I didn't even know that anyone did. I just saw the Bears release a video where George McCaskey and a bunch of players woodenly apologized for their jerseys being from the color-line era. Oh, and big lol to "a contrast between two organizations" as if the Chicago Bears are some kind of model franchise and not two-and-a-half steps at best above the goddamn Cincinnati Bengals. Team makes the playoffs for the first time in eight years and suddenly they have their finger on the pulse of America.

They read the hell out of that prepared statement.  It was a more earnest, racial version of Artemi Panarin and Brian Campbell eating microwaved catering in a custodial closet.

The Bears are, if nothing else, desperate and unwavering in their efforts to be simultaneously beloved and, when the moment calls for it, unremarkable.  Fewer franchises I know fight harder to control narrative/spin that comes out of the building, at least ever since Aaron Kromer sold out Jay Cutler to Ian Rapaport at halftime.  They are...better about not bungling things with the outside world these days, but they certainly have no idea how to be plausibly earnest with those PSA-type vids.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The problem with that video is that you have Mitch Trubisky, who's as dumb as a box of rocks, and George McCaskey, who, like all McCaskeys, radiates a general weirdness. They had the vibe of people who were kidnapped by ISIS but not aware that they'd been kidnapped by ISIS.

EDIT: someone who watched the Hawks game said Foley was in a foul mood all night because he had to work with an unfamiliar production crew and basically warned the audience that the broadcast would suck, so I guess he felt he would do his part. I'm not sure what the appetite here even was for exhibition hockey against a European club team, but NBC Sports Chicago, having poached the Bulls/Hawks/Sox WGN packages but having lost the Cubs, probably feels they have to telecast every last ass-scratch from their remaining three teams. How will Neil Funk debase Chicago sports when he has to call a preseason game against a D-League team on a neutral court in North Dakota? Only time will tell.

• Like 2

Sounds like Sports Illustrated fired half their staff today and wants to convert to a crowd sourced super blog. 

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Was SI sold off to one of the Bain (or similar) crowd? Because this certainly speaks to an effort to buy an asset, strip it of its value, and mine the husk for what's left.

It's sad but not completely surprising.

SI could have gone the Playboy route -- change from a regular periodical to a quarterly showcase of longer-form writing (plus boobs, in both cases). The SI brand has/had value and it's a shame to watch it die.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Was SI sold off to one of the Bain (or similar) crowd? Because this certainly speaks to an effort to buy an asset, strip it of its value, and mine the husk for what's left.

It's sad but not completely surprising.

SI could have gone the Playboy route -- change from a regular periodical to a quarterly showcase of longer-form writing (plus boobs, in both cases). The SI brand has/had value and it's a shame to watch it die.

Authentic Brands bought SI from Meredith and quickly flipped the media operations to The Maven six weeks later. Authentic just owns the name, like they do with other distressed brands.

https://www.authenticbrandsgroup.com/about-1

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2019-10-03/sports-illustrated-maven-ross-levinsohn-layoffs

• Like 1

100 years ago, Montgomery Ward and Sears were two of the biggest companies in the US. Now? One has been dead for nearly twenty years (the original company anyway) and one might as well be already dead. Companies that don't (or can't) change with the times will always be left behind no matter how big or connected they get. Entropy has been undefeated for billions of years and I don't see it losing now.

So, I guess there's some solace in that what is happening to Sports Illustrated is hardly unprecedented. 

Edited by Red Comet

ESPN's site is basically a huge promo for their shows, and the two are tied together pretty well.  Not to diminish some of the good things on the site that aren't tied into programming, but that's essentially what it is.

There's just no reason I can think of to go to SI.com.  I remember when it was the "sports section" for CNN.com, but even then, I gravitated to ESPN.com, even if the actual writing wasn't as good and the stories were slanted in ways to build drama to entice people to tune into a game conveniently carried by... ESPN.

Seems like SI should have become what the Athletic is now.  I don't have any stats or figures, but I imagine the Athletic is doing OK, and maybe even better than expected.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

ESPN's site is basically a huge promo for their shows, and the two are tied together pretty well.  Not to diminish some of the good things on the site that aren't tied into programming, but that's essentially what it is.

There's just no reason I can think of to go to SI.com.  I remember when it was the "sports section" for CNN.com, but even then, I gravitated to ESPN.com, even if the actual writing wasn't as good and the stories were slanted in ways to build drama to entice people to tune into a game conveniently carried by... ESPN.

Seems like SI should have become what the Athletic is now.  I don't have any stats or figures, but I imagine the Athletic is doing OK, and maybe even better than expected.

I was thinking more like Grantland, but we're on the same page. Less day-to-day updates and more prestige reporting.

SI.com used to be my go-to site ages ago, but they had a disastrous redesign that nuked all of their functionality to be less a website and more an app. I said I was done with the site at that time and, turns out, I was.