The Sports Media Thread

22 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Checking Deadspin yesterday was like reading its Chinese knockoff version. Each post was the barest of facts, supplemented with embedded tweets, signed by "DEADSPIN," with comments turned off.

What a way to die.

Whomever is writing these is trying to keep the voice of snark of Deadspin going and it feels so off in an uncanny-valley sort of way. Or just the standard voice of so many of the crappy faux-blogs that popped up after the halcyon days of sports bloggery.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I like the idea of just one guy running around The Big Long Table Of Despair trying to do everyone's jobs, like when Mr. Burns and Smithers try to run the nuclear plant by themselves, but it's just churning out "Why A LeBron/Beyonce Ticket Is Actually Good" and "Look At This Dumbass Being A Dumbass" so that people will watch autoplay ads. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Paul Maidment, the editorial director of G/O Media, who made the directive to stick to sports, has resigned himself.

Deitsch spoke with Tim Burke, who left Deadspin last year, about last week's events on his podcast yesterday. It was about a 45 minute conversation.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 12:29 PM, dfwabel said:

Paul Maidment, the editorial director of G/O Media, who made the directive to stick to sports, has resigned himself.

It's just infuriating. Maybe I could feel better about it if that class of empty-suit ever felt actual shame or consequences, but they don't! Must be nice.

Interesting piece on the Players Tribune, which is apparently hemmoraging money. I assumed it was literally intended to just be a PR firm for athletes, but apparently they were trying to run it like any number of other digital sports news startups? Which, there's your problem.

https://digiday.com/media/no-accountability-went-wrong-players-tribune/

7 minutes ago, Digby said:

Interesting piece on the Players Tribune, which is apparently hemmoraging money. I assumed it was literally intended to just be a PR firm for athletes, but apparently they were trying to run it like any number of other digital sports news startups? Which, there's your problem.

https://digiday.com/media/no-accountability-went-wrong-players-tribune/

Oh you mean obviously ghost-written articles that were far more expensive to produce than content created by non-famous writers and bloggers didn't work? Who could've known? 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

35 minutes ago, Digby said:

It's just infuriating. Maybe I could feel better about it if that class of empty-suit ever felt actual shame or consequences, but they don't! Must be nice.

According to Awful Announcing, it was Paul Maidment himself who was writing those awful "stories" on Deadspin the past week.

I've removed the site from my bookmarks. Another one gone.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

34 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Good. TNT sucks at it. Though, if this is just a move from B/R app to CBS app, forget it.

Learn Spanish and know your Univision channels on cable or digital.  They rock.

That TNT show is SO awful. Kate Abdo, Stu Holden and Tim Howard are meh.  Howard and Holden is afraid to say something sharp.  Kate just wears her FOX wardrobe since TNT shoots that studio show in LA, not Atlanta.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Learn Spanish and know your Univision channels on cable or digital.  They rock.

That TNT show is SO awful. Kate Abdo, Stu Holden and Tim Howard are meh.  Howard and Holden is afraid to say something sharp.  Kate just wears her FOX wardrobe since TNT shoots that studio show in LA, not Atlanta.

Steve Nash doesn't offer all that much either, and no one is really looking to him for soccer opinions anyway.

TNT shouldn't have bothered. It was better on Fox. And if CBS can leverage TruTV and TBS the way it does for the NCAA Tournament, it should be better off there. And maybe just find a way to use studio feeds from SkyTV or BBC or whatever; I'm sure they do it a lot better than any collection of third tier American jerks could.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 11/8/2019 at 6:08 PM, DG_Now said:

Good. TNT sucks at it. Though, if this is just a move from B/R app to CBS app, forget it.

Isn't this the truth. This has never been more apparent to me than this NFL season.

I have a smart TV with all the proper apps downloaded (and my parents DirecTV info inputted, because they won't use the streaming). If the game is on FOX, NBC, ESPN or out of market (Sunday Ticket)? I can watch every game in a breeze. Not to mention easily pulling up local Angels/Ducks games on Fox Sports Go or even baseball playoffs on TBS/FOX. Basically, if any game is on any TV channel, I can find some way to stream it.

Except CBS, because they're still slaving away on CBS All Access.

No, I don't want to watch Star Trek prequel series. No, I don't want to watch your Good Wife spin-off. No, I don't need NCIS on demand. I just want to watch one football game, which is free on TV otherwise. Why does literally every other outlet have a way for me to just put in the cable/satellite info and stream whatever is just on TV, except you CBS?

Like yeah, the B/R app sucks, but at least if a game is live on TBS/TNT, I can just open the TBS/TNT apps and watch TV. CBS doesn't even give you the choice. $15 a month or GTFO? I guess I'm getting out then.

• Like 2

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Congratulations to Don Cherry on finally finding the line to cross that made CBC/Rogers do more than let him quietly sit out for a week. I now demand at least one week where Coach's Corner is seven solid minutes of Ron MacLean silently nodding and looking to his right.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They had intended to fire him anyway, now they get to claim the moral high ground in doing so. Cancel culture only works when you didn't like the person to begin with (inverse: Justin Trudeau doing blackface and getting re-elected anyway).

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I never trust World Soccer Talk on MLS but this is the only source I can find thus far. 1.27 million viewers for MLS Cup Final on American TV, big drop from last year. I'm tempted to blame having a Canadian market in the final but the same matchup managed 2 million viewers the first time they did it, so maybe it's fatigue.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2019/11/11/seattle-toronto-mls-cup-final-disappoints-1-27-million-viewers/