The Sports Media Thread

You're right, you just solved talk radio. What people really want to hear is CBS Sports Radio where some guy talks to himself and takes a thousand pregnant pauses in arguing that the thing you like is bad or the thing you don't like is good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Gross. If I hadn't turned off Bill Simmons before he started complaining about cancel culture, I definitely would have after he put his kids all over his podcasts.

I'm glad Tank has gotten the noteriety he has. He was an unknown, mildly skilled dude who made a media name for himself for being himself and not someone's idiot son or nephew. We need more of that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On Sunday night, Mike Rhyner, who started Dallas' first all-sports station in D/FW (KTCK/The Ticket) in 1994 the week of the second Cowboys/Bills Super Bowl, retired.

He released his announcement via his daughter's YouTube page.

Will Cain did a very nice shout-out/appreciation.

Edited by dfwabel
  • Like 1

Plenty of changes around the SportsCenter desks--in Bristol, Los Angeles, and soon-to-be in Washington, D.C. in the coming days (and months)...

Firstly, Cari Champion (who was doing the weekday Noon ET SportsCenters with David Lloyd) is leaving ESPN at the end of the month...

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2020/01/10/cari-champion-leaving-espn-sportscenter-first-take-sportsnation

As a result of that, Matt Barrie and Elle Duncan will takeover the weekday noon slot (Mondays-Thursdays), as well as the Sunday 9am ET shows, while Lloyd moves to early-mornings, splitting days with Hannah Storm (Mondays-Wednesdays) and Antonietta Collins (Thursdays).  He and Collins will also do the Tuesday and Wednesday early-morning shows, and Storm and Jay Harris will do the Friday Noon shows, in addition to anchoring the weekend morning editions.  Thursday-Saturday early-mornings will be anchored by Nicole Briscoe and Randy Scott.

The noon show will also be 90 minutes every weekday, followed by NFL Live at 1:30pm ET as usual.  The evening and late-night editions will remain as is, but with one slight change--Scott Van Pelt will be moving his SportsCenter show to his native Washington, D.C., but not until this summer (sometime in August).  He'll use the PTI studio at ABC News' Washington bureau, although some functions will still take place in Bristol.

• Like 1

Bill Simmons may sell The Ringer to Spotify

Spotify Technology SA is in talks to buy sports and pop-culture outlet the Ringer, according to people familiar with the matter, a deal that would let the audiostreaming giant break into broader digital media and bring a network of more than 30 podcasts under its roof.

The Ringer reportedly attracts more than 100 million downloads a month and would diversify Spotify's current offerings. Last year Spotify spent $400 million to buy three podcast companies and has been consistently adding original content through other deals.

Apparently, podcasts generate $15M in revenue annually for The Ringer.

I listened to the latest Book of Basketball 2.0 podcast (because I'm dumb) and I realized they're just using old content they recorded for an NBA Rewatchables series they decided to rebrand.

This evolution of Bill Simmons is a real drag. And it makes me really miss Deadspin.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I listened to the latest Book of Basketball 2.0 podcast (because I'm dumb) and I realized they're just using old content they recorded for an NBA Rewatchables series they decided to rebrand.

This evolution of Bill Simmons is a real drag. And it makes me really miss Deadspin.

Speaking of Simmons, I thought you were going to post about the The Ringer Union taking to Twitter complaining that Bill hasn't said anything about the possibly sale to Spotify and the fate of their jobs.

The old man in me thinks this is such a passive-aggressive move that would even make Kevin Durant proud.  So very Millennial of them.

And Molly Lambert, who never worked for The Ringer, just Grantland didn't help the cause.  Per The Big Lead:

On Wednesday, Molly Lambert, a culture writer who worked under Simmons' umbrella at Grantland but not The Ringer, sent a thread of since-deleted tweets: "imagine still posting content on twitter without talking to your staff who you've left in the lurch," she tweeted. "Grantland ended very badly this way because of some backstabbing cowards, really hope they don't do @RingerUnion the same exact way. if you want to present your staff as a fun friend group, be an actual friend. I would say I can't believe the audacity of ringer management to treat the staff like this but unfortunately I can, because it's what they also did to us."

Lambert finished with a tweet referring to Simmons' announcement Ringer Films and HBO are collaborating on a music documentary series that will be in the vein of 30 for 30, saying, "making professional announcements on your twitters while stonewalling your staff about the future of their jobs is truly coward :censored:, I stand with the @RingerUnion."

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 3:39 PM, DG_Now said:

It is a real drag. It's becoming increasingly clear who Bill Simmons really is - He's venal, opportunistic, lazy, sheltered, and a crybaby. Woefully unprepared and ill-equipped, talent wise, to host the show(s) he has. He's the worst writer on his own staff, and one of the worst podcasters on his own staff. He's also kind of a bad gauge of talent - I tried to listen to The Ringer MLB show and it's dreadful. Binge Mode is unlistenable and embarrassing when compared to other pods that discuss the same subjects. 

A while back they had Klosterman on the Reality Bites rewatchable and he Chris Ryan were talking about how selling out is not a concern anymore, how a younger ringer staffer asked them about it and how they started to explain why people cared about selling out, but then realized he was actually asking them to explain the very definition of selling out. Bill was sitting right there. He's Darren Rovell if Darren Rovell had lucked into a cash cow he could squeeze to death.  

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 12/16/2019 at 9:47 PM, Red Wolf said:

The only people that enjoy listeners calling in are the listeners that are calling in because it makes them feel important.

Callers are nothing more than a crutch for bad hosts. A good host can weave in the occasional caller and Jim Rome is pretty good at mining his callers for decent content, but to rely on callers is just really bad radio. Roughly 1% of the actual listening audience will pick up the phone to call a radio show. Do any of us really believe that we're getting the best and brightest out of that 1%?

The first year I did my old radio show, we tried to concentrate on callers. That only lasted about 3 months because the callers were just awful. They just dug hearing themselves on the radio. They added nothing to the actual show. After that, we decided one caller per 1/2 hour was all we'd allow and that caller had to really bring it. Not relying on callers was the smartest thing we did in three years of doing that show. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

After Kobe, I stepped away from sports podcasts for a bit. I've found that my life is a little better as a result.

I won't switch to Spotify exclusively to listen to podcasts, so if that's what the Ringer is hoping for, smell you later forever.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 4:01 PM, the admiral said:

You're right, you just solved talk radio. What people really want to hear is CBS Sports Radio where some guy talks to himself and takes a thousand pregnant pauses in arguing that the thing you like is bad or the thing you don't like is good.

This is why I prefer FS Radio over CBSSR, where the hosts can hold their own ground. I could even put up with ESPN Radio, but sadly the ESPN affiliate here is a news station that would only air them unless it's any of the championship games. They'll put on Navy football any given Saturday before ESPN Radio.

Also, while I'm on the topic, I want to rant about one local station in Baltimore. It's getting hard to listen to when the lineup of hosts is so thin, the 9pm-12am is sometimes working weekends. Then it in turn forces national radio to start early (9pm on Saturdays and 6 on Sundays without midday sports). I know terrestrial radio is a dying breed thanks to smart phones, unlimited data plans, aux cables, smart speakers, etc., but when I'm not in a music mood in my car, I'd much rather hear a local guy give his take on who the Ravens will sign this offseason at 9:24pm on a Saturday as opposed to CBSSR for the rest of the night. 

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png