The Sports Media Thread

One potential benefit of Spotify buying The Ringer is maybe Simmons won't be able to use the network as a nepotism vehicle for giving prime on-air jobs to people whose only qualifications are growing up with or having been related to Bill? Dare to dream.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 2/5/2020 at 4:07 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

One potential benefit of Spotify buying The Ringer is maybe Simmons won't be able to use the network as a nepotism vehicle for giving prime on-air jobs to people whose only qualifications are growing up with or having been related to Bill? Dare to dream.

Apparently, he contractually must stay on, but it seems that the transaction was around $250M.

Spotify Technology SA is paying close to $200 million upfront for the Ringer, the growing online sports and pop-culture outlet, as part of its push into podcasting, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

The previously undisclosed price of 180 million euros will be followed by more than $50 million later, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the terms aren’t public. Spotify, the world’s largest streaming audio service, is expected to detail the costs in a regulatory filing soon.

Simmons was the largest shareholder of the Ringer. HBO, a division of AT&T Inc., owned a 10% stake. The deal requires Simmons to keep working at Spotify for some time, and also includes protections to ensure Spotify doesn’t cut much of his staff, said the person.

Speaking of Simmons, today's Book of Basketball podcast was dedicated to crapping on Dwight Howard, which is mostly okay in and of itself. However, less okay was not editing out the content at the end of the episode where they crapped on Kobe because Bill Simmons loves crapping on Kobe.

It was clearly recorded before the crash, so I get it. But I didn't need to hear House calling Kobe a selfish prick, nor was it useful to hear Simmons gleefully end the show saying "I get to :censored: on the Lakers' last two titles? Great!"

I know we like to joke about "too soon?" But yes, all of that :censored: is too soon. They should have edited it or just sat on it. Or at least mentioned it was recorded before the crash in the intro and given a heads up they were going to talk Kobe. The world wasn't begging for Dwight Howard content and they didn't need to post it.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've only recently began really getting involved with The Ringer, as in regularly checking the website/YouTube channel and listening to some podcasts, as opposed to clicking on links every once in a while.  Overall, I really enjoy their content.  They have some real talent on there, who are both really informative and also legitimately funny (like Kevin Clark).  Every once in a while they come across as so "hip" and "modern" that it wears on you, but overall I like their stuff.

That was a really long-winded way to get where I initially wanted to go with this post, which is to say that of all the personalities on The Ringer, Simmons is easily my least favorite (so far).  He just comes across with such a huge ego all the time, and I don't get any of the entertainment to balance it out.  I watched a few of his Book of Basketball 2.0 videos and they were alright but I enjoyed them more for the sports history, not for Simmons' commentary.

spacer.png

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Speaking of Simmons, today's Book of Basketball podcast was dedicated to crapping on Dwight Howard, which is mostly okay in and of itself. However, less okay was not editing out the content at the end of the episode where they crapped on Kobe because Bill Simmons loves crapping on Kobe.

It was clearly recorded before the crash, so I get it. But I didn't need to hear House calling Kobe a selfish prick, nor was it useful to hear Simmons gleefully end the show saying "I get to :censored: on the Lakers' last two titles? Great!"

I know we like to joke about "too soon?" But yes, all of that :censored: is too soon. They should have edited it or just sat on it. Or at least mentioned it was recorded before the crash in the intro and given a heads up they were going to talk Kobe. The world wasn't begging for Dwight Howard content and they didn't need to post it.

Yikes. That looks really bad on them.

It was probably Nephew Kyle's job to remove the Kobe stuff, but he had too many cocktails at whatever LA nightclub he frequents and forgot. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 2 weeks later...

He's good, but is any announcer worth that much?  Even with the sick money that the TV deal's generate?  Is the audience going to plummet if they put me in there as the lead color guy?  People aren't going to be like "well, I'm not going to watch the game of the week because BBTV is the color guy".  You could literally put a robot in there and the ratings would stay the same.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Corporate drama between YouTube TV and Sinclair, who now own YES and the Fox regional sports networks. I'm sure this too shall pass, though I'm feeling lucky I don't have to deal with this inconvenience as a YouTube TV subscriber (Boston's a NESN and NBC market).

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/29/21159033/youtube-tv-sinclair-fox-regional-sports-networks-yes-network-extension

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everybody! Deadspin is BACK!

Or, at least a version of Deadspin with unfamiliar writers and no comments and no ability to discuss sports is. Makes sense for a zombie Deadspin to come back now more than ever.

I think Root Sports Northwest would be acquired by Diamond Sports Group (Sinclair/Entertainment Studios), while NBC Sports Regional Networks (NBCUniversal) would acquire AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh, AT&T SportsNet Southwest and AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain, IMO. Do you agree or disagree?.

• 3 weeks later...