Recommended Posts

The Athletic ranked the NHL local broadcasters and even Bruins fans ranked them 27th. (They were dead last overall.) I'm the only person who appreciates the Boston blowhardiness of that booth from afar.

 

1st overall was the Hurricanes, of course. John Forslund is good and all but the hivemind has fallen head over heels for all things Carolina lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Digby said:

A funny thing about The Last Dance was seeing vintage footage of Jack Edwards on Sportscenter. I liked him better back then, before he tried his damndest to wreck every Bruins game with wizened passion or whatever.

I remember his sappy call of the United States defeating Portugal in the 2002 World Cup.

 

"My eyes have seen the glory. The United States has defeated Portugal!"

 

I didn't even know he was still around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JayMac said:

I remember his sappy call of the United States defeating Portugal in the 2002 World Cup.

 

"My eyes have seen the glory. The United States has defeated Portugal!"

 

I didn't even know he was still around.

 

He is, but I guess "SportsCenter anchor" to "Bruins play-by-play guy" is a career downgrade by any stretch, even if NESN/Boston is probably one of the better places to land as far as it goes. But he seems to enjoy it and is semi-beloved by the fanbase. Figures that the 2006 lead WC announcer who sucked at it too, Dave O'Brien, also ended up a Boston PxP local yokel. Thank goodness American soccer broadcasters eventually conceded that it's better to just have a boring soccer voice doing those games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure it's a downgrade. SportsCenter anchors are notoriously underpaid, overworked, and generally miserable, and doing play-by-play is the goal of most of those guys -- Olbermann always wanted cracks at it and rarely got them, Steve Levy got to do hockey, and Berman got like two or three baseball games a year and later the Week 1 Broncos-Raiders Late Game Of Doom. Charley Steiner went from SportsCenter to Dodgers radio, and that's certainly an upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm not so sure it's a downgrade. SportsCenter anchors are notoriously underpaid, overworked, and generally miserable, and doing play-by-play is the goal of most of those guys -- Olbermann always wanted cracks at it and rarely got them, Steve Levy got to do hockey, and Berman got like two or three baseball games a year and later the Week 1 Broncos-Raiders Late Game Of Doom. Charley Steiner went from SportsCenter to Dodgers radio, and that's certainly an upgrade.

 

Sounds like ESPN was the original "compensation by exposure" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree with this stuff as well. In fact, in general, I would suggest any play-by-play job with any MLB/NBA/NHL team, at least the television ones and also some of the radio ones as well, are superior gigs to doing, ultimately, a studio program. 

 

At least, that's what I would say today. SportsCenter used to be a bigger deal back when watching highlights was a tougher thing to do. Now that anyone can watch highlights at a moment's notice...I'll just say that, outside of SVP's version every now and then, I'm not even sure I remember the last time I watched SC. There's really no need. Either I saw what I needed to see already, or I haven't seen it but am still planning to, or I don't care enough about it to see the highlights from anyway. So why would I watch? Besides, a great deal of the sports I watch these days are either hockey or soccer games, and I know SC isn't going to be airing the highlights from (most of them) anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Craig Kilborn had that line in the book about "Bristol days," which was when you had the day off but still came to the office to get work done because you were trapped in exurban Connecticut and had nowhere else to go. As Hollywood pulverizes the dreams of wide-eyed ingenues, Bristol did the same for, like, guys who went to private school in the Northeast and were keeping their options open for law school but really loved sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to read about this latest Dave Portnoy controversy with the sex podcast ladies and I just feel my brain cells popping like corn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm trying to read about this latest Dave Portnoy controversy with the sex podcast ladies and I just feel my brain cells popping like corn. 

 

The first article that came up when I searched was an article from Daily Mail full of cheesecake photos of the podcast hosts and the salient detail being one host turned down a raise from $75k to $500k.

 

Whatever. Podcast bubble won't live forever; there are only so many audiobook and manscaping subscriptions to go around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't decide if COVID will pop the podcast bubble (target market won't be commuting much for many months) or is good for it (class of advertisers that aren't screwed the way newspaper advertisers are).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digby said:

I can't decide if COVID will pop the podcast bubble (target market won't be commuting much for many months) or is good for it (class of advertisers that aren't screwed the way newspaper advertisers are).

 

My guess is that while podcasts might decline in absolute number, local radio is probably going to get hit harder in percentage terms. Thus, even if podcasts decline, they are still more competitive economically than having to pay for a radio station and maintaining that radio station and the talent. 

 

Its like how even if blogs became less prevalent, it still didn't stop the decline of newspapers as the underlying economic fundamentals that caused such a shift were still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always wondered about the future of podcasts because of the advertising model.

 

At least I don’t think Facebook can kill podcasts like they did some websites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Spotify can buy up Last Podcast on the Left, the Ringer and Joe Rogan, that leaves a big gap for the smaller podcasts that rely on Patreon revenue. I read recently that OnlyFans is having a big COVID moment, both with porn and non-porn content. The direct support model is precarious -- and there's always money for porn -- but I'm wondering if any podcasts are seeing Patreon bumps during this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

While Spotify can buy up Last Podcast on the Left, the Ringer and Joe Rogan, that leaves a big gap for the smaller podcasts that rely on Patreon revenue. I read recently that OnlyFans is having a big COVID moment, both with porn and non-porn content. The direct support model is precarious -- and there's always money for porn -- but I'm wondering if any podcasts are seeing Patreon bumps during this time.

 

From what I heard, OnlyFans is trying to move away from porn to be more advertiser-friendly (read: boring). Pornhub doesn't seem to have problems with money or traffic so it doesn't make any sense to me. But, on the flip side, if anyone is going to make a Patreon competitor that doesn't cater to fascist/commie kooks who got the boot for ToS violations, they would have the best shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

 

From what I heard, OnlyFans is trying to move away from porn to be more advertiser-friendly (read: boring). Pornhub doesn't seem to have problems with money or traffic so it doesn't make any sense to me. But, on the flip side, if anyone is going to make a Patreon competitor that doesn't cater to fascist/commie kooks who got the boot for ToS violations, they would have the best shot.

 

Say more about this?

 

OnlyFans is currently taking 10% off the top of porn purchases, which feels like really great money. And they've received mainstream exposure from Beyonce and some other social media/reality TV stars. I know that the goal of capitalism is forever growth, but OnlyFans feels like their instagram-but-porn-but-respectable(ish) market positioning is pretty good. Would selling ads offset any potential nerfing of the adult content? Feels like that would be the case to me, but I'm not in that business.

 

Thank you for joining my OnlyFans discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

Say more about this?

 

OnlyFans is currently taking 10% off the top of porn purchases, which feels like really great money. And they've received mainstream exposure from Beyonce and some other social media/reality TV stars. I know that the goal of capitalism is forever growth, but OnlyFans feels like their instagram-but-porn-but-respectable(ish) market positioning is pretty good. Would selling ads offset any potential nerfing of the adult content? Feels like that would be the case to me, but I'm not in that business.

 

Thank you for joining my OnlyFans discussion.

 

Seems like the biggest driver of these competitors is catering to non-mainstream political views regardless of what they are. I should've worded it a lot better but I've never been one for tact. 

 

However, OnlyFans actually has a good shot because you can't dismiss it as a cesspool for NEETzis. Might make Patreon better too now that they actually have legit competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought of OnlyFans and Patreon being in competition with one another, but I guess they are. Patreon hosts both porn and other content, while OF is mostly porn at this juncture.

 

I still don't see how either sell ads. Unless this is cable all over again; you initially pay for the content so you don't get ads, except then you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I never thought of OnlyFans and Patreon being in competition with one another, but I guess they are. Patreon hosts both porn and other content, while OF is mostly porn at this juncture.

 

I still don't see how either sell ads. Unless this is cable all over again; you initially pay for the content so you don't get ads, except then you do.

 

It's not ads so much as it is competing for donors and media coverage whether its traditional media or online media. And even if things have loosened up wrt sexuality in past decade or so, media companies aren't usually big on giving coverage to "porn companies".

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patreon revenues are dropping for podcasts, and now that everyone's getting wise to all our favorite internet personalities being the children of human traffickers or scions of generational wealth, they're really gonna be on their own

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.