The Sports Media Thread

12 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Deion Sanders has left NFL Network. His contract was up and he chose not to renew, based on what I read.

I don't watch a lot of NFL Network but the one thing I know Deion's time there for is that time he thought Kevin Byard was just some random fan when he was, in fact, an All-Pro safety in the sport Deion covered.  So as far as actual analysis, I can't imagine NFL Network is losing much.

• Like 2

IUe6Hvh.png

23 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Deion Sanders is going to Barstool.

No idea what kind of use they've got for each other or how long Deion plans on being there, but it's what's happening I guess.

I don’t listen to PMT anymore, where the Deion annoucement was made during the episode that just dropped for tomorrow morning, but comments from people who already listened say that he’ll have a podcast, do some video stuff with NFL players and do a PMT spot on Mondays during NFL season.

IbjBaeE.png

I read somewhere that part of the reason Deion left was because NFL Network wanted to slash his salary, rumored to be in the neighborhood of $2 million a year, in half had he re-signed with them.  Guess Barstool was willing to meet his price.

You always, always, always treat the microphone as if it's live, kids.

• Like 10
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

7 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

You’re the broadcasting advice capital of the forum!

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

22 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

That was a pretty big rule in all my broadcasting classes. “Don’t utter hateful slurs” wasn’t a rule because nobody needed to be told that. 

Anyone else taking pleasure in a failson actually getting got? Didn’t think that was possible in 2020. 

• Like 7

PvO6ZWJ.png

On the heterosexual side of things, NBC fired Mike Milbury for making a joke about players not being able to get laid while they're sequestered. Talk about a Capone-for-tax-evasion, huh. The new social conservatism rocks because now it does what we want it to do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think they fired him, they're just sitting him out for the rest of these playoffs. I'll believe he's gone when it actually happens, kinda like how we were told Pierre was getting demoted and he ended up being on TV just as much this past season.

Milbury also caught it for saying a couple weeks ago that the completely empty stands in the bubble looked like a women's game. You can maybe hold onto your gig despite trading away Luongo or Chara, but it's gonna be a lot harder for the bosses to ignore you doing both.

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That sounds like it would have been the line that got him in trouble. Stephen A. made the same joke about NBA players, but nobody cared because people generally like him while they generally hate Mike Milbury. I just hate the crocodile tears, it'd be more respectable for people to say he should be fired because he's a bad analyst with nothing to add (though apparently less effective inasmuch as NBC has employed him for about ten years).

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

That sounds like it would have been the line that got him in trouble. Stephen A. made the same joke about NBA players, but nobody cared because people generally like him while they generally hate Mike Milbury. I just hate the crocodile tears, it'd be more respectable for people to say he should be fired because he's a bad analyst with nothing to add (though apparently less effective inasmuch as NBC has employed him for about ten years).

If I’m being honest I don’t really see what’s wrong with this particular joke. Women can be a distraction for some players. Ask Craig Janney. He didn’t say “women exist only for the purpose of sexual pleasure for men”, which is how a lot of hockey people I know decided to take it and a lot of that has to do with who said it. It’s a lifetime achievement uproar. If he’d said “there’s no nightlife to distract them” it would’ve ostensibly meant the same thing and nobody would’ve thought twice about it. I guess the issue is he made that joke after making his women’s college hockey joke, which means he didn’t learn anything. 

My question for years has been who is Mike Milbury for? He should be fired because he never adds any insight of value, he was a comically bad coach and GM so he has no credibility, and because he’s a dumb dinosaur. There's hundreds of former players who would be better at the job. 

it will be nice to rid ourselves of Roenick and Milbury in one calendar year. Lose Pierre and we’re set. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

Milbury was actually fine when he coached the Bruins, got 'em to the Final where they lost to the Oilers, which is more than a lot of bad coaches can say. Probably the finest achievement of an idiot coach until Craig Berube went and won the whole damn thing last year. It was entering a bad situation on Long Island and then making it unthinkably worse that ruined him.

What do people want of their hockey analysts? The line has always been that everyone in hockey is trained to be boring, non-controversial, non-confrontational, and never to stray from truisms like "get pucks deep" and "net-front presence." Usually what people online say they want is for ex-players to be just like the guys who work the NBA, because everything in the whole entire world should be like the NBA, but I'm pretty sure Barkley and Shaq don't always work G-rated on Inside the NBA, and now you just had everyone completely in a state because Jeremy Roenick made a joke about a three-way and Milbury made a joke about rink rats. It's become the Itchy and Scratchy focus group: so you want larger-than-life personalities who say crazy things that get everyone's attention, but who also draw no attention to themselves and never hurt anyone's feelings. I mean, we're never going to get some bleep-bloop guy spitting out analytics numbers because that's not information that's conducive to the narration of a telecast, that's stuff you read yourself. So I really don't know what it is we want these dudes and dudettes to do out there.

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Milbury was actually fine when he coached the Bruins, got 'em to the Final where they lost 

I just realized this is also Don Cherry's résumé.

• Like 6

one can imagine that a lot of players in these bubbles are actually pretty bummed to be away from their families for weeks on end. Not every jock is a horny prick who hates his wife immediately after marrying her! It’s just a crappy joke on several levels from a guy who already kind of sucked.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

16 hours ago, Digby said:

one can imagine that a lot of players in these bubbles are actually pretty bummed to be away from their families for weeks on end. Not every jock is a horny prick who hates his wife immediately after marrying her! It’s just a crappy joke on several levels from a guy who already kind of sucked.

Historically, what NHL players would really miss are their teammates' wives.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...