The Sports Media Thread

Sports media is overpopulated by privileged white people, myself included. But it’s especially populated by privileged white men, who are never called to account for their privilege or use it in any constructive way. America seems, by and large, OK with this: The “leave politics out of sports!” crowd has effectively shouted down and exhausted those of us who keep insisting that sports is not, and has never been, apolitical. For the most part, we try to pick our battles and ignore the rest of it.

But sometimes a white media person does something that evidences such terrible judgment, such lack of compassion or care for the people they cover, that it merits calling them out on it. Witness, then, this tweet from ESPN’s Adam Schefter:

He doesn’t have to worry about these things, you see. As a white man with a high-paying gig, he doesn’t have to think about the same things you do. He’ll continue to do well no matter who sits on the Supreme Court, no matter who occupies the Oval Office.

Schefter has built his career and reputation on covering a league that is 70 percent Black. It’s also a league that is run, coached, and covered overwhelmingly by white men. I have a pretty good idea who the audience was intended to be for Schefter’s tweet, but I hope the guys he covers in the league see it as well — and remember it next time they decide who they trust with their stories and information.

I know, I know, he was just joking, right? Okay, it was a bad joke, but he didn’t mean anything by it.

At what point, though, do we start holding people accountable for bad jokes that actively ignore harm to others in the name of scoring some Twitter likes? When do the white men who cover largely Black leagues have to walk a mile in the players’ shoes?

And, my God, when will sports media stop being a haven for mediocre white men to make hay off the suffering of others?

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I’m not always in agreement with the disdain some people have for “wokeness” in sports media but I just can’t bring myself to be even the least put-off by Shefter’s tweet. 

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

24 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I’m not always in agreement with the disdain some people have for “wokeness” in sports media but I just can’t bring myself to be even the least put-off by Shefter’s tweet. 

It's true that sports cannot be divorced from politics, but this was a cynical reach. The format of the joke is the same as this Simpsons joke: 

Consider the kind of Christian freaks who would have been outraged by that: busybody church ladies, televangelists who ultimately resign in disgrace, et cetera.  People who were shocked and appalled by Adam Schefter doing a switcheroo joke are just the people who were wired for that other stuff but wound up on another team now that defending Our Lord and Savior has gone out of fashion. Thinking about it that way explains a lot. 

By the way, there's no link or byline in that, but everyone who read it knows who must have written it and where.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

[snip]

By the way, there's no link or byline in that, but everyone who read it knows who must have written it and where.

Unless a person I follow had pointed out who said it, I would have had no idea who wrote it.

Nor would I have cared. Do I think he overstates the importance of it? Yep (MLB trade deadline is a bigger deal).😂

It's the league he covers. What else is he gonna do?

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Unless a person I follow had pointed out who said it, I would have had no idea who wrote it.

Nor would I have cared. Do I think he overstates the importance of it? Yep (MLB trade deadline is a bigger deal).😂

It's the league he covers. What else is he gonna do?

Julie DiCaro, just to be clear, someone who has made more than one appearance in this thread for dumb reasons. 

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Digby said:

Sorry but I refuse to believe that a vintage car auction at 11:30 am is a better use of NBCSN's time than Manchester United vs. Arsenal.

Yeah, I know what I said a few weeks ago and I was really trying to be fair to NBC about it, but this is pretty blatant at this point. The only games that were ever relegated to NBC Gold before were the lesser games that were being played simultaneous to more relevant games. The 10am ET games, the occasional 2nd 9am Sunday game, ones like that. And games that generally didn't involve the Big Six or other teams around that periphery (Everton, Leicester, Wolves, etc.). The idea of a Man Utd-Arsenal game not airing on NBC or NBCSN at any point in the previous seven seasons was unthinkable.

So while this still isn't as bad as what ESPN is doing with Serie A and the Bundesliga, this is a really unfortunate step back by NBC, and an active, willing step back at that.

• Like 2

spacer.png

I have Xfinity so I get Peacock Premium for free. The quality of the streaming isn't nearly as good as the quality of watching it on cable. I don't stream a lot of sports so I can't speak for the normal quality of it all but I'm not a fan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, the admiral said:

Bally Sports Midwest and so forth. Not where I expected this to land, gotta be honest.

Between this and Disney’s acquisition of 20th Century Fox (and subsequent rebrand to 20th Century Studios), who had the Fox name being completely wiped out from virtually all media? Not me.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

6 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Between this and Disney’s acquisition of 20th Century Fox (and subsequent rebrand to 20th Century Studios), who had the Fox name being completely wiped out from virtually all media? Not me.

Well, Fox News has tainted the name for a decent-sized chunk of Americans.

• Like 4

On 11/19/2020 at 10:05 PM, the admiral said:
Bally Sports Midwest and so forth. Not where I expected this to land, gotta be honest.

Bally is one of those weird companies that I kind of forget exists (mainly because I'm not into gambling) but just seems to pop up every decade or so involved in completely different businesses. Pinball machines, arcade games (which I guess aren't that disjointed from gambling), theme parks, fitness clubs, and now regional sports networks?

It's like Yamaha or Virgin. Should we make keyboards or motorcycles? Yes! Mobile phones or airlines? Sure!

I know, conglomerates and such, but it's just so weird to me to use the same branding for everything. Berkshire Hathaway doesn't have Dairy Queen-branded batteries or GEICO-branded underwear. Actually... nevermind, that last one probably does exist.

• Like 1

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png