Recommended Posts

Apparently this Bally's has no connection to the original one, this is just some VC group that bought the brand for their casinos, then licensed it to Sinclair as part of making the channels more about sports gambling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 7:38 AM, JayMac said:

I have Xfinity so I get Peacock Premium for free. The quality of the streaming isn't nearly as good as the quality of watching it on cable. I don't stream a lot of sports so I can't speak for the normal quality of it all but I'm not a fan.

I think it depends on where you live and the service you get. But Peacock Premium (which I pay for..) looks pretty bad compared to CBS All Access and ESPN+. Both look way better then Peacock.

 

On 11/20/2020 at 10:23 AM, DustDevil61 said:


Between this and Disney’s acquisition of 20th Century Fox (and subsequent rebrand to 20th Century Studios), who had the Fox name being completely wiped out from virtually all media? Not me.

I honestly hate the merge so I wont get into it, But I never heard of Bally so this might be fun to see how it could work. Also, 20th Century Studios... I hate Disney sometimes..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2020 at 3:07 AM, Matthew24 said:

I think it depends on where you live and the service you get. But Peacock Premium (which I pay for..) looks pretty bad compared to CBS All Access and ESPN+. Both look way better then Peacock.

 

I honestly hate the merge so I wont get into it, But I never heard of Bally so this might be fun to see how it could work. Also, 20th Century Studios... I hate Disney sometimes..

When I think of Bally I still think of Bally Total Fitness.. It makes me think those channels will rebrand to 24 hour exercise infomercial channels instead of fully fledged RSNs 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13-FOX-M.png

 

What determines whether a market gets Washington-Steelers over the air on Monday afternoon: the league permitting that market, or the affiliate clearing it? It seems kind of haphazard, but at the same time, no affiliates west of Wichita would want to carry the game in middays and preempt Maury? Why is most of the Southeast not getting a Washington game?

 

EDIT: this is where we really could have used dfwabel had he been able to resist making death threats toward posters' wives

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming those markets get it because they would have had it had that game had it not been moved. Lucky for those markets they get bonus football on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

EDIT: this is where we really could have used dfwabel had he been able to resist making death threats toward posters' wives

 

Yeah, other than the death threats, dfwabel was a good poster. Anyway, to take a shot at answering your question, my best guess is the markets who would have gotten the game at its regularly scheduled time will still get it on Monday. Any market that wasn't going to get it will be relieved to know that Maury will still air at its usual time. But I could be wrong.

 

EDIT: Looks like D_G beat me to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can buy that as well, that the markets getting it as a freebie were originally going to get it on Sunday. We've gotten a bunch of Steelers games in the Tampa Bay area this season, and while some like the PIT/TEN and PIT/BAL games were obvious, getting PIT/JAX instead of TEN/BAL a couple weeks back (and staying with that 27-3 game all the way through, for some stupid reason) was just pointless and annoying. The local CBS game affiliate has actually been on a real bad run lately...that game, MIA/NYJ last week instead of TEN/IND, CIN/MIA this week instead of CLE/TEN...the Bucs have existed for 45 seasons. I hardly know any local Dolphins fans. Just give us the best game you can. Jeez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

North London Derby on Peacock Premium, again with the Mecum Auto Auctions on NBCSN. Again, I must be really underestimating the value of auto auctions on TV, not to mention the dignity of airing anything called Mecum. I don't normally root for monopolies but it would be easier to just pay a higher-but-single fee for one of the streaming services if you're a soccer fan; I'm not paying for ESPN+ for Bundesliga and CBS for Champions League and Peacock for (some) Premier League. Maybe it seems less bad since Xfinity internet subscribers get Peacock anyway, but I prefer functional internet at home so I'd have to pay extra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

The local CBS game affiliate has actually been on a real bad run lately...that game, MIA/NYJ last week instead of TEN/IND, CIN/MIA this week instead of CLE/TEN...the Bucs have existed for 45 seasons. I hardly know any local Dolphins fans. Just give us the best game you can. Jeez.

 

The Dolphins are doing well (by 21st-c. Dolphins standards) this year, there's going to be more of an appetite for them in Florida than for the Titans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Digby said:

North London Derby on Peacock Premium, again with the Mecum Auto Auctions on NBCSN. Again, I must be really underestimating the value of auto auctions on TV, not to mention the dignity of airing anything called Mecum. I don't normally root for monopolies but it would be easier to just pay a higher-but-single fee for one of the streaming services if you're a soccer fan; I'm not paying for ESPN+ for Bundesliga and CBS for Champions League and Peacock for (some) Premier League. Maybe it seems less bad since Xfinity internet subscribers get Peacock anyway, but I prefer functional internet at home so I'd have to pay extra.

 

As I said before, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt for the weekend with the original complaints, but it's pretty clear what's happening by this point. Marquee games/derbies are getting stashed on Peacock. NBCSN spent several years doing a good and dignified job in promoting the sport, and now they don't care nearly as much anymore. It's unfortunate. I know good streaming websites for some competitions and I have ESPN+ as well which covers some others, but with the Premier League, if it's on NOT on TV, then I guess I'll watch the games when they're uploaded on a different website altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only to play devil's advocate, I wonder if a key reason why Comcast / NBCUniversal has been reserving ever more of the most alluring Premier League games for Peacock is a belief that the most fervent non-Hispanic US fans of soccer in general and of top-flight European club soccer competitions in particular are more likely -- and, more importantly, tend to be more willing -- to watch video programming on Internet-and-mobile-app-based, on-demand streaming services such as Peacock and, conversely, are less likely and tend to be less willing to subscribe to traditional cable-based or satellite-based, linear multichannel television services (including, obviously, Comcast's own cable operations).

 

Whether it is fair or not, a common stereotype of non-Latinx fans of soccer in the United States is that they tend to be from either the Millennial generation (a.k.a. Generation Y) or Generation Z, and a widespread stereotype of both Millennials and Generation-Z-ers is that they tend either to be disillusioned former subscribers to cable-based or satellite-based multichannel TV services ("cord-cutters") or to have never had such subscriptions ("cord-nevers").  Another seemingly heavily accepted stereotype aimed at both Millennials and Gen-Z-ers is that such people tend to regard cable TV and even subscription-based satellite TV as costing too much money at best and as using disgustingly unreliable technology, having unbearably bad customer service, being flooded with channels dominated by mindlessly derivative "reality" entertainment programs, and being simply too old-fashioned at worst.

 

For these reasons, I suspect that if Comcast / NBCU were maintaining the pre-Peacock status quo with regard to Premier League coverage in the United States, many of the most hardcore fans of soccer across the nation would be complaining about needing to get a cable or satellite subscription that they deem to be overpriced, and then having to accept a lot of unwanted channels, just to have access to attractive Premier League games on NBCSN ... when those same US fans can spend much less money to watch comparably interesting Bundesliga and Serie A games on ESPN+ and/or UEFA Champions League games on CBS All Access (soon to be renamed Paramount+).  As much as it may disappoint those of us who have loved how both NBCSN and the over-the-air NBC network have covered the Premier League, a steady shift of games to Peacock may well be needed in order for Comcast to save face with much of the Premier League's US fandom and for the Premier League to stay relevant among US devotees of European club soccer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm assuming those markets get it because they would have had it had that game had it not been moved. Lucky for those markets they get bonus football on Sunday.

That sounds good, but there's no way Green Bay or Milwaukee would have gotten Pittsburgh-Washington rather than Chicago-Detroit.

 

The same can be said for Chicago and Detroit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicago's Fox station is an O&O, and presumably so is New York's, but then so too would be L.A.'s, and they don't have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That sounds good, but there's no way Green Bay or Milwaukee would have gotten Pittsburgh-Washington rather than Chicago-Detroit.

 

The same can be said for Chicago and Detroit!


Today was a CBS doubleheader day. Maybe that has something to do with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2020 at 11:55 PM, the admiral said:

13-FOX-M.png

 

What determines whether a market gets Washington-Steelers over the air on Monday afternoon: the league permitting that market, or the affiliate clearing it? It seems kind of haphazard, but at the same time, no affiliates west of Wichita would want to carry the game in middays and preempt Maury? Why is most of the Southeast not getting a Washington game?

 

EDIT: this is where we really could have used dfwabel had he been able to resist making death threats toward posters' wives

It looks like most of the Fox owned and operated stations east of the rockies are showing the game, those stations would be in Chicago, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Philadelphia, Orlando, Tampa-St. Pete, and Washington DC, for some reason the FOX O&O's in Atlanta and Houston aren't carrying it. The other cities were probably slated to show it before the scheduled got trashed thanks to the Ravens. I'm a Steeler fan(moved away from Pittsburgh) living in Detroit and we weren't getting the game if it was played on it's original date since the Lions were playing at the same time.

I can see two reasons why the game isn't being shown in more markets, the first being the NFL doesn't want to devalue Sunday Ticket more than it already is by making the game national and local stations not wanting to give up the revenue from their ad slots during syndicated shows and local news.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, infrared41 said:


Today was a CBS doubleheader day. Maybe that has something to do with it.  

Speculation on the 506Sports Twitter feed revolves around this: 

I'd think that explanation from last week about ensuring they're giving Sunday Ticket a minimum number of games applies here as well. I'm curious how they ended up with these markets though. Were these the markets that would have shown the game if it was on Sunday?

 

The important part of it is that Sunday Ticket has to ahve a minimum number of games. If these markets have already met that threshold, then they are more likely to get this game. The "last week" part of this has to do with a game between Denver and Tampa Bay that was similarly blacked out.

 

EDIT:

This is done to protect the Sunday Ticket package. That package is contractually provided a minimum number of games. Re-scheduled games have chipped away at that number, so certain areas aren't allowed to have this one broadcast to assure that the NFL delivers its quota to Sunday Ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the NHL's return set now, I really hope YouTube TV comes to a deal with Sinclair. I'm not really looking to getting cable again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Premier League being on or not NBCSN seems to come up a lot here, now it turns out NBC might shut the whole thing off and move hockey and soccer to streaming only. Not sure whether I like that for the NHL, feels like the OLN gambit all over again, which itself was the SportsChannel gambit all over again.

 

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/12/23/nbcsns-days-are-numbered-as-a-channel-predicts-tv-industry-reporter/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.