The Sports Media Thread

I think Levy will do it. I think Bucciogross will be involved. Thorne was just let go as the Orioles announcer, so maybe he will be in the mix too. 

Is Barry Melrose still on ESPN? I don't watch the channel anymore for anything other than live sports so I have no clue who is there amymore.

I wonder if this means NHL will eventually get moved back to the main header on espn.com instead of in the "other" section near "recruiting", "F1", and "bull roping".

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I hope they treat the league better than they did at the end last time. Maybe this will help the NHL be more like the NBA.

It has hurt the NHL by not being on ESPN, even though I was always grouchy about their coverage of the league. Being on ESPN means they'd treat the league like the sport exists, which isn't the case now. I saw an ESPN highlights montage from 2020 that didn't include a single NHL clip. And, yeah, being on sportscenter doesn't matter as much as it did in 2004, but it helps. 

I'd like NHL 2night back please. Was that show good or was I just a kid? 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

It has hurt the NHL by not being on ESPN, even though I was always grouchy about their coverage of the league. Being on ESPN means they'd treat the league like the sport exists, which isn't the case now. I saw an ESPN highlights montage from 2020 that didn't include a single NHL clip. And, yeah, being on sportscenter doesn't matter as much as it did in 2004, but it helps. 

I don't watch SportsCenter anymore, but I would posit that being on commercials during Monday Night Football, college sports, and NBA will do more the NHL's Q rating than the past decade of Winter Classics and whatever else the NHL has tried. We can all recite State Farm and Microsoft Teams commercials by heart by now, and ESPN pumping up its new partner sports league in between sweet Pat Mahomes TDs will probably get the league in front of eyeballs that would otherwise have no exposure to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, Sport said:

I loved NHL2Night. Is John Buccigross still around? Gonna be weird if he and Melrose pick right up where they left off.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I loved NHL2Night. Is John Buccigross still around? Gonna be weird if he and Melrose pick right up where they left off.

He is still with ESPN. He's been a whirling dervish about this on twitter all day. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

NHL 2Night might return but it would 100% be an ESPN+ only program. 

25 games on television over the course of the season translates to roughly one game per week. Compare that against NBCSN usually having aired, I dunno, about five games per week in addition to a national game on NBC in the second half of the season? And obviously NBC might retain half the package, but it will remain to be seen whether they maintain a similar broadcast schedule. Hopefully they will.

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

25 games on television over the course of the season translates to roughly one game per week. Compare that against NBCSN usually having aired, I dunno, about five games per week in addition to a national game on NBC in the second half of the season? And obviously NBC might retain half the package, but it will remain to be seen whether they maintain a similar broadcast schedule. Hopefully they will.

I hope we get one game a week on USA and one on ESPN, with a few NBC games after New Year's. Now would be a good time to bring back select Boxing Day games for teams who can make short trips (St. Louis @ Chicago, Ottawa @ Toronto, New York triad). That would be a nice national feature, try to own that day.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The other big thing, it seems to me, is ESPN Plus seemingly replacing the subscription service for streaming out of market games, which I believe is what they also struck with MLS last year. 

AND a bunch of games available only if you have ESPN+ or Hulu, which seems significant.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

I have been laughing at this graphic for a day now. It randomly pops up in my head and I chuckle.

The growth of design departments in sports combined with hard internal usage guidelines has made for some funny inappropriate usage social media bloopers. 

That's still not better than my favorite example of this phenomenon. 

52bc4874-5cdc-4f9d-b8d0-f0e111e296fa.jpe

Not every tweet needs an accompanying graphic.

• Like 7

PvO6ZWJ.png