Sports branding design speak

nas1787

I saw this explanation of the new Reno USL club's wordmark the other day, and it got me thinking: what are your favourite hilarious/ridiculous/over-the-top examples of design speak in sports branding?

10660105_857396981054109_712892024330439

"The shoulder patches have been removed to continue the simplicity and timelessness found throughout elements of both sweaters.  The uniforms also have a surprise in store. Using what Reebok refers to as a “hanger effect”, the warning flag pattern once adorning the base of the jerseys lives on in the neckline of the new designs."

The way you work the "C" in with the three-point line is brilliant!

"The L, wrapping around the baseline and the sideline, represents the Clippers' strive to keep the ball from going out-of-bounds for a change in position.  The A provides symmetry and balance for a logo representing a well-balanced team.  The C, which covers the three-point line, represents the organization's desire to hit more three-pointers because three is more than two."

I think the logo could be well-served by some serifs though.  Three serifs on the "A" would form more of the sidelines.  Two on the "C" could add to the baseline.  The "L" is tricky, though, so maybe you went in the right direction here.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

For someone not at all connected to the biz, I would probably not ace a quiz of real vs. phony design branding statements.  For example, Ice Cap's Browns one seems made up to me.  But I think it's actually real.  The Clippers ones (also real, I suspect, based on where the link comes from) would also be a tough call for me.

Retroactive Design Speak could be fun.  I am not the best person to do this, which is why I never participated in the Victorian English rap lyrics thread.

A's: "The elephant represents how the Athletics never forget; learning from their mistakes and coming into the next game all that much more prepared.  Plus if you throw at us, you could get one in the ear a couple a' years down the road.  The Athletics don't forget."

Buccaneers: "The orange and red represent the magnificent sunsets in the Gulf of Mexico."

Penguins: "The skating penguin represents the determination that this team will show game in and game out while the triangle represents the coming together of the Allegheny and Monaongahlea Rivers."

(Actually, maybe that triangle part is true?)

Rams: "The horns on the helmet represents that the team is called the Rams.  Seriously, don't try to read too much into it."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The best one would have to be Jacksonville trying to rationalize their awful football helmet and then still not making any sense. "The fade represents a jaguar emerging from the shadows" (paraphrasing) Okay then why is the front black with the logo going into it?

PvO6ZWJ.png

37 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The best one would have to be Jacksonville trying to rationalize their awful football helmet and then still not making any sense. "The fade represents a jaguar emerging from the shadows" (paraphrasing) Okay then why is the front black with the logo going into it?

I always kind of thought they meant that the player, while wearing the helmet, could face you while in the dark shadows and blend right in. Therefore, the helmet keeps them stealthy like a panther. You'll have to pretend that a white chinstrap blends into the darkness though.

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

"hunting from the shadows". its my all time favorite and is the chapter title of the Nike/NFL portion of that uniform book im writing

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Not design speak, but I think I'll remember #Fire for the rest of my life.  The surprise that something was coming, coupled with the giant turd they turned out to be made that whole affair extremely memorable.

This is how you sell branding though. If a company is looking to secure a finalize a project with a franchise, they have to come in a SELL it. Whoever sold the Clippers organization on the branding obviously did a great job. They didn't sell the aesthetics they sold the story behind it (unfortunately it still looks bad imo but the designers sold the design, so props to them).

From the Anaheim Ducks rebrand in 2006:

"In shaping the new design, the focus was sharpened to create an overall image that expressed excitement, speed and a competitive edge."

And from team owner Samueli himself:

“We think the new logo and jersey portray the same passion and energy our players and fans bring to the building every night.”

Ouch.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived