nas1787

Sports branding design speak

While some of the points made do make sense without little thought, some of them are simply laughable. 

Business owners love this stuff. So do pretentious design folk. Put them together in charge of releasing logos and this is what you get...

Of course if someone came out and said "We picked this logo because it looks cool" everyone would be up in arms over that too so you can't really win.

32 minutes ago, pcgd said:

Business owners love this stuff. So do pretentious design folk. Put them together in charge of releasing logos and this is what you get...

Of course if someone came out and said "We picked this logo because it looks cool" everyone would be up in arms over that too so you can't really win.

I would jump for joy if a team released a new logo and uniforms and said that.

"We think these racing stripes are pretty sharp" is so much more authentic than something like "the 2 parallel stripes symbolize the team and city's long history of partnership, synergy, constant forward movement, and working in tandem to achieve our goals."

Actually it would be really refreshing if a team just showed up on opening day in new uniforms and didn't tell anyone. That's how it used to be way back when, but it'll never happen these days because you gotta sell that fresh new gear before the seasons starts. 

I don't know if it were Reebok who said it or just the Sharks organization, but the whole "the Jersey will make us (insert some amzingly small number)% faster was a good running joke on these boards for a while.

21 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I don't know if it were Reebok who said it or just the Sharks organization, but the whole "the Jersey will make us (insert some amzingly small number)% faster was a good running joke on these boards for a while.

The Sharks said no stripes would make their jerseys lighter, but the 11% faster thing comes from the original Nike Swift hockey uniform system way back before the 2006 Olympics. Then the Swedes won in the old, heavy uniforms.

6 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I had it all mixed up. :)

Possibly the Edge rollout, but at least it's an excuse to talk about how the Swedes won the gold medal after they shunned Nike. :)

That's the plot to Miracle 2. How Sweden won Olympic Gold despite being weighed down by those heavy, sweat-drenched rags.

Maybe all of the other teams in that tournament were too fast?