Jump to content

Miami MLS team will be possible?


wences

Recommended Posts

From 2014, lot of new about David Beckham and Marcelo Claure's project to bring a new franchise in MLS in Miami. Now it seems that Beckham will sale the rights to Qatar Sport Investiments (Paris Saint-Germain owners) and he only stay as the "face" of the project. After a lot of problems to find a location for the stadium, now it seems a possible one. But a new Miami team started in NASL, with Paolo Maldini as chairman and Alessandro Nesta as coach.

 

Do you think Miami MLS team is for real?

 

And if you say yes, what colours, name and logo do you thing it will have?
Many thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nesta believes that it's possible have two teams in Miami:

"Why not? Why not? Because in LA they have two [teams], in New York they have two [teams], and I think Miami is big enough to have two teams.

"He is welcome. He needs two more years to start. We have two years to build something interesting and when he starts, I don’t know what will happen, but he is welcome."

 

I don't think so

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beckham's biggest issue is getting the city to grant him space to build the stadium. Once that happens he'll be good to go. I don't think the NASL Miami team will be able to compete once the MLS version hits the field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Miami MLS bid is struggling to come to fruition because the Beckham group simply won't follow the proper steps that the MLS is demanding of expansion franchises. One of the main things the MLS requires from new teams is for there to be a proper infrastructure in place well before the team is even awarded. They want teams to build up not only developmental academies, but also youth soccer in the area in order to guarantee that a long-term fan base is there and the proper excitement is generated to really make a team successful. Sacramento, for example, has been working on their youth soccer programs for well over a decade, and Republic is doing everything the MLS has required of them and then some when it comes to taking the proper steps in order to be granted an expansion franchise. Miami, on the other hand, is basically disregarding the wishes of the league and is banking on the "Yeah, but I'm David Beckham" argument in order to gain their entrance. It's been a frustrating process to watch as someone associated with SRFC, and I know Garber and the league are equally frustrated with Miami's approach. Miami and Tampa were such unmitigated disasters last time around that they nearly crippled the entire league. The MLS is dead set on not letting that happen again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wences said:

Nesta believes that it's possible have two teams in Miami:

"Why not? Why not? Because in LA they have two [teams], in New York they have two [teams], and I think Miami is big enough to have two teams.

"He is welcome. He needs two more years to start. We have two years to build something interesting and when he starts, I don’t know what will happen, but he is welcome."

 

I don't think so

 

 

Yeah, Miami is NOT a two-team sport city. New York and Los Angeles are huge and can support two teams with their population. The matter of the fact is that Miami isn't even close to their sizes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Nesta's desperate.  If Beckham can get out of his own way, his team will run Nesta's out of town. 

 

I think Nesta knows this could be a possibility which is why his group trademarked "New York United FC" a few months back. 

 

Me personally I would rather be the 2nd biggest team in Miami as opposed to the 4th biggest team in NYC but dumber things have happened in the NASL than making a 2nd NY NASL team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sheesh, that would be a terrible idea,  The Cosmos are struggling enough, and they've got on-field success and massive brand recognition.  I don't see how a second NASL club in New York would draw more than a thousand tops to each game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Sheesh, that would be a terrible idea,  The Cosmos are struggling enough, and they've got on-field success and massive brand recognition.  I don't see how a second NASL club in New York would draw more than a thousand tops to each game.

 

 

The only way I can see a 2nd NASL team not being a complete disaster is if they went the Nets route and fashioned themselves a Brooklyn team while wearing black & white. 

 

They wouldn't be beating Indy & Jacksonville in attendance or anything but maybe they would have a sliver of a create a fanbase of domestic soccer fans that aren't already following the Cosmos, Red Bulls, or NYCFC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

 

I think Nesta knows this could be a possibility which is why his group trademarked "New York United FC" a few months back. 

I don't really have a problem with 4 NY teams but why can't they come up with better names? NY United, NYCFC...In the EPL all the London teams have cool names, Arsenal, QPR, Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nyk33 said:

The only way I can see a 2nd NASL team not being a complete disaster is if they went the Nets route and fashioned themselves a Brooklyn team while wearing black & white. 

 

They wouldn't be beating Indy & Jacksonville in attendance or anything but maybe they would have a sliver of a create a fanbase of domestic soccer fans that aren't already following the Cosmos, Red Bulls, or NYCFC. 

 

That's why I think they'd be lucky to draw a few thousand, tops. 

 

Every step of the way so far, it has made sense that there'd be fans of the new team.  The Red Bulls only care about Jersey?  Fine, you now have the Cosmos. You want the highest-level soccer in the US?  Now there's NYCFC.  One team has history, the other is a story yet to be written.  One is small and affordable, one is large and affordable. 

 

So who exactly is left to market a new team to?    How many people are left unrepresented?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

That's why I think they'd be lucky to draw a few thousand, tops. 

 

Every step of the way so far, it has made sense that there'd be fans of the new team.  The Red Bulls only care about Jersey?  Fine, you now have the Cosmos. You want the highest-level soccer in the US?  Now there's NYCFC.  One team has history, the other is a story yet to be written.  One is small and affordable, one is large and affordable. 

 

So who exactly is left to market a new team to?    How many people are left unrepresented?

 

That was why I said that there best chance would be to go with the Brooklyn route because there is no other angle I could think of to make a new NY team and maybe get a small following of hipsters or something. 

 

It would still be an incredibly stupid idea but it's the best I could think of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some reason, I thought they were buying closer to Marlins Park.  A compromise location, best they could do.

 

This looks like a pretty good plot of land, with access to two highways.  It's three blocks south of one Metrorail station and five blocks west of another.  If Google Street View means anything it's not the prettiest walk from downtown but it's not terrible either, and it's short in any case.  It's not even that far from the Metromover.

 

This looks like a great spot for a stadium - am I missing something?

 

Beckham_Miami_Land.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.