What teams do you think will play an European League of Soccer?

wences

The bigs European soccer clubs sometimes talk about to play an European soccer league and leave the Domestic Leagues. What teams do you think can make that European League?
Please, explain your answer, many thanks.

For me, the 20 choosen clubs must to have some criteria:
-Stadium with more than 40.000 capacity
-Being in a city with more 500.000 people.

-Having a good market (nationally and internationally)

So:
1 Real Madrid
2 Barcelona

3 Atlético de Madrid

4 Milan

5 Internazionale

6 Juventus

7 Arsenal

8 Chelsea

9 Manchester United

10 Olympiacos

11 Liverpool

12 Paris Saint Germain

13 Olympique de Marseille

14 Bayern München

15 Borussia Dortmund

16 Ajax

17 Benfica

18 Galatasaray

19 Spartak Moskva

20 Zenit (with the new Piter Arena)

whereicomefrom.png

4 ENG
3 ESP

3 ITA

2 FRA
2 GER
2 RUS

1 GRE

1 NED

1 POR

1 TUR

I can agree with this allotment of teams by national league

Below are the Top 25 countries in the UEFA country coefficient rankings:

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 8.22.42 PM.png

I guess it all depends on how many Spanish teams you want in the league and how many total teams you want in the league.

If Spanish La Liga teams get 3 seeds in this new league, the value of a seed would "cost" 33.571 UEFA coefficient points. This is how many seeds each country would receive supposing each country had to buy seeds at 33.571 points/team.

Spain, 3
Germany, 2
England, 2

Italy, 2

Portugal, 1 (Portugal's second seed, 33rd allocated seed, would go to Portugal, who have a higher remainder value than the total value of Kazakhstan's coefficient)

France, 1

Russia, 1

Ukraine, 1

Belgium, 1

Netherlands, 1

Turkey, 1

Switzerland, 1 (*17th seed, last seed in which any country could "buy" a seed at 33.571 points)

Czech Republic, 1

Greece, 1

Romania, 1 (20th seed)
Austria, 1
Croatia, 1
Poland, 1

Cyprus, 1 (24th seed)
Belarus, 1

Sweden, 1

Norway, 1

Israel, 1

Denmark, 1

Scotland, 1 (30th seed)

Azerbaijan, 1

Serbia, 1 (32nd seed)
Kazakhstan, 0

League 1 (16 teams, 2 teams relegated to League 2)
Barcelona

Atletico Madrid

Real Madrid

Borussia Dortmund
Bayern Munich
Leicester City
Tottenham Hotspur
Juventus

Napoli
Porto
Paris Saint-Germain
Zenit Saint Petersburg

Shakhtar Donetsk
Club Brugge
Besiktas

League 2 (16 teams, 2 promoted to League 1)
Grasshopper
Sparta Prague
Olympiacos
Steaua Bucuresti
Rapid Wien
Dinamo Zagreb
Cracovia
APOEL Nicosia
BATE Borisov
Malmö FF
Rosenborg BK
Maccabi Tel Aviv
FC Købenshavn
Celtic
Qarabag
Partizan Belgrade

League 2 is more diverse geographically, and I doubt the Azerbaijani team will be able to make 15 pan-European flights every season. League 2 broken into North and South:

North:
NOR Rosenborg BK

SWE Malmö FF
DEN FC Købenshavn
SCO Celtic

AUT Rapid Wien

CZE Sparta Prague
BLR BATE Borisov
POL Cracovia

South:

CRO Dinamo Zagreb

SER Partizan Belgrade

RUM Steaua Bucuresti
SUI Grasshopper

GRE Olympiacos

CYP APOEL Nicosia 

ISR Maccabi Tel Aviv

AZE Qarabag

My biggest gripe here is that some leagues could handle losing a few teams, others couldn't.

• La Liga would be seriously disadvantaged if they lost the big three.
  • Premier League and Bundesliga could probably survive.
  • Serie A is struggling, losing big teams wouldn't help much.
  • Would probably help Ligue 1's parity if PSG left.
  • I don't see there being a way the Premeira Liga would join unless Benfica, Sporting, Porto were all involved. However, same thing happens as with Spain, on a much more extreme scale.

There definitely has to be a much stronger weighting to the Big Six if this were to ever happen. I'd probably give only 2-4 spaces to teams from other domestic leagues.

If this does happen, I would hope there's at least some semblance of relegation, tied with Europa or whatever.  Cannot possibly iron clad the sport as Europe knows it by only locking in the wealthiest.

Unless they think what works for North America is fine... then hell has frozen over.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

10 hours ago, @axpze said:

If Spanish La Liga teams get 3 seeds in this new league, the value of a seed would "cost" 33.571 UEFA coefficient points. This is how many seeds each country would receive supposing each country had to buy seeds at 33.571 points/team.

Spain, 3
Germany, 2
England, 2

Italy, 2

Portugal, 1 (Portugal's second seed, 33rd allocated seed, would go to Portugal, who have a higher remainder value than the total value of Kazakhstan's coefficient)

France, 1

Russia, 1

Ukraine, 1

Belgium, 1

Netherlands, 1

Turkey, 1

Switzerland, 1 (*17th seed, last seed in which any country could "buy" a seed at 33.571 points)

Czech Republic, 1

Greece, 1

Romania, 1 (20th seed)
Austria, 1
Croatia, 1
Poland, 1

Cyprus, 1 (24th seed)
Belarus, 1

Sweden, 1

Norway, 1

Israel, 1

Denmark, 1

Scotland, 1 (30th seed)

Azerbaijan, 1

Serbia, 1 (32nd seed)
Kazakhstan, 0

League 1 (16 teams, 2 teams relegated to League 2)
Barcelona

Atletico Madrid

Real Madrid

Borussia Dortmund
Bayern Munich
Leicester City
Tottenham Hotspur
Juventus

Napoli
Porto
Paris Saint-Germain
Zenit Saint Petersburg

Shakhtar Donetsk
Club Brugge
Besiktas

League 2 (16 teams, 2 promoted to League 1)
Grasshopper
Sparta Prague
Olympiacos
Steaua Bucuresti
Rapid Wien
Dinamo Zagreb
Cracovia
APOEL Nicosia
BATE Borisov
Malmö FF
Rosenborg BK
Maccabi Tel Aviv
FC Købenshavn
Celtic
Qarabag
Partizan Belgrade

League 2 is more diverse geographically, and I doubt the Azerbaijani team will be able to make 15 pan-European flights every season. League 2 broken into North and South:

North:
NOR Rosenborg BK

SWE Malmö FF
DEN FC Købenshavn
SCO Celtic

AUT Rapid Wien

CZE Sparta Prague
BLR BATE Borisov
POL Cracovia

South:

CRO Dinamo Zagreb

SER Partizan Belgrade

RUM Steaua Bucuresti
SUI Grasshopper

GRE Olympiacos

CYP APOEL Nicosia 

ISR Maccabi Tel Aviv

AZE Qarabag

That will be fair, but economics and reality isn't going in the same way.

The necessary of create an European League with no changes (US franchises style) is about more money for the richest teams. That's why I made my selection.

whereicomefrom.png

I would guess the European Super League would look very similar to the Forbes's Top 20 Most Valuable Football Club list with the exception of the bottom three.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

I can't believe :censored:ing Newcastle are the 18th most valuable club in the world. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

4 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

I would guess the European Super League would look very similar to the Forbes's Top 20 Most Valuable Football Club list with the exception of the bottom three.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

I can't believe :censored:ing Newcastle are the 18th most valuable club in the world. 

Lot of money in EPL

whereicomefrom.png

Newcastle average the 4th highest crowds in the Premier League.If they had a decent owner their potential is massive.

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

European football's governing body UEFA finally killed the plan by expanding their premier competition, the Champions League, offering clubs a greater slice of television and sponsorship revenue, and upping prize money.

The Champions League group stage was expanded from 24 to 32 teams while the Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Cup competitions were merged to form what is now known as the Europa League.

I didn't know this. The plan for a Pan-European league was ultimately junked in order to expand the Champions League and UEFA Cup/Europa League.

On 26/3/2016 at 5:21 PM, @axpze said:

I didn't know this. The plan for a Pan-European league was ultimately junked in order to expand the Champions League and UEFA Cup/Europa League.

I feel like thisll happen again. Things will work out for both sides, and preserve the national leagues.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 2/4/2016 at 1:18 AM, anythinglogos said:

Since there continues to be talk of creating a European League that would replace the Champions League by having games played every week and creating a huge cash cow, I thought I'd attempt at making it feasible without completely destroying domestic play. The teams for the first league would be the top 2 teams in each of the top 4 leagues and the winners of the next 3 best leagues getting an automatic spot and the other 9 teams coming from the third and second place teams of those with automatic spots and the champions of the leagues that don't participating in a playoff. Counting the 2014/15 season as the last regular league, conceivably the super League would be something like this (just took the participants  based on the 2014/1 final Uefa League ranking

European Football League

Chelsea

Manchester City

Barcelona 

Real Madrid

Juventus

AS Roma

Bayern Munich

Wolfsburg

PSG

Benfica

Zenit

Borussia M'Gladbach

Atletico Madrid

Arsenal

Porto

Shaktar Donetsk

KAA Gent

PSV Eindhoven

Galatasaray

FC Basel

With no midweek European games, the travel would balance out. Season similar to current schedule, from mid-late august to early june  And when you get the initial league sorted you have 6 teams relegated back to their national league. A high number, but I feel that the constant renewal of the league would add an element of excitement  and if one of the bigger teams faces a difficult season like Chelsea being relegated wouldn't be impossible. From the promoted teams

1 spot would be given to the winner of the UEFA Cup

5 spots to the winners of the Champions tournament (so that the big 4 don't monopolize the promoted teams)

The Champions Tournament would be  held from   the week after the national leagues finish in mid-april to early june. Home and away knockout stages, quarterfinals winners are promoted while the losers of the quarterfinals get another chance by winning from those who lost. admittedly not perfect by any means, but it would be kind of like the European Cup of old with only champions participating and having it be just knockout stages. With the domestic leagues finished, they can easily play 10 or so games in 6 weeks

Even European League teams participate in domestic cups, which would significantly add to their value, becoming the best  chance at silverware for most European League teams. 

UEFA Cup is contested between the champions who failed to get promoted to the European League and the second and third best teams. Would probably be more exciting than the current Europa League, since the reward for winning it is direct promotion to the European League. If a team wins both the Uefa Cup and the domestic League, the runner ups in the domestic league participate in the tournament.

Domestic leagues with a maximum of 18 teams participating so that there is enough time for the promotion tournament.

Since the European League seems inevitable, a format like this would be able to create a huge cash cow, while significantly improving the significance of the current Europa League and of domestic cups, as well as creating another event  in the promotion playoffs.

I'll quote myself from the realignment thread a few months ago. Basically, I'm in favor of a Pan-European league as long as it keeps the basic structure of current European leagues with promotions and relegations, just adding one level on top of the national tournaments. If it's going to be a closed system with invitations, expansion fees and the like, hell no.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived