teejay3388

TSN Bar Down: Proposed and rejected Buffalo Sabres logos from their mid-90s rebrand

Nope. First time I've ever seen these. Good find!

OMG...that buffalo on skates is hilarious!! 

1 hour ago, Shadojoker said:

I don't know...those logos look hella cool!

Except for that Buffalo with a hockey stick for a tail.

Great find. Love how the mounted buffalo between the two sabres is still somehow snorting and alive. Looks like a twisted science experiment.

1 hour ago, Totems!! said:

Great find. Love how the mounted buffalo between the two sabres is still somehow snorting and alive. Looks like a twisted science experiment.

Maybe they're Disney fans?

I think the third and fourth logos have some potential as secondary logos, but both of their primaries are much better, IMO.

11 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Maybe they're Disney fans?

I was thinking of the Gump from Return to Oz.

The water-skiing bison is funny, but these are all terrible, as was the goat head they went with. They never should have changed anything (except getting rid of white number trim on the blue sweaters).

The best thing that came out of the red and black set was the Sword Alt logo.

Those logos are clearly not in a finished state and aside from the second one, with red, they look like they could be hand drawn.  Unpopular opinion but with a little finessing, and the elimination of the arbitrary hockey sticks/pucks, any one of these would have been a massive improvement over the previous logo.

This is the greatest find since that 1993 Penguins video. I wish they lingered longer on some of the designs, I'd love to see them all. I think we're overlooking some key things:

1) they were willing to change the original logo, which everyone treats as sacred:

eCMpACf.jpg

I can't tell you what the differences are with the first two (I imagine silver was an option, because it showed up elsewhere), but note the bigger swords in the third, and though the 5th logo is clearly a 25th anniversary idea, they did a non-anniversary version.

2) there were bunches of sorta-traditional sorta-modern jersey concepts, again when many figure those original Sabres designs to be untouchable

po46pFO.jpg

TI8jBsi.jpg
FgUTIaF.jpg

utG52rm.jpg

I have a question: What is BarDown?  I've seen the logo flash on tv, at the top/bottom of a tv (airing)block & I have zero comprehension of its meaning.

I actually thought was an ESPN thing since I only see it if I tune in late afternoons on TSN for PTI & whatever.

On 3/26/2016 at 10:14 PM, teejay3388 said:

sabres1_56789.jpg

Immediately made me think of:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/arenafootballleague/images/1/1f/Buffalo_Destroyers.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120202015538

I'm usually critical of Sabres concept logos because everyone uses the same tired, cliched elements in their designs, but I see those same elements in these concepts... maybe its a tougher brand to refresh than I thought. Makes me appreciate their late 90's set (especially the red alternates) more than ever.

On 3/26/2016 at 3:27 PM, the admiral said:

I was thinking of the Gump from Return to Oz.

The water-skiing bison is funny, but these are all terrible, as was the goat head they went with. They never should have changed anything (except getting rid of white number trim on the blue sweaters).

To be fair, even though older uniform styles are currently "in" again right now, the original unis felt ultra-dated in the mid-90's... and I will argue to the death that their red alternate was a home run:

Buffalo-Sabres-Red-Alternate-Jersey-2000