Champions League of Hockey • Group E RESULTS (5/7)

timberwolf

GROUP A > SIBIR NOVOSIBIRSK (Russia)

The Bruins of Russia. A team that is always a contender, year after year. Sibir capped off an incredible season by making a trip to the finals, before they fell in six games. Led by the vet Jan Groshev, Sibir is set to make a deep run in the champions league.

The design was easy. Two bold white stripes on a rich blue background, to emulate the logo. For some reason, the only font that looked really good was the Jets, so I stuck with it. Leave C + C...

image.thumb.png.dc8a5a43b539d18a5ff881bc

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, the comments are far and thin but that's totally fine. I didn't really expect a lot initially. Onto Group B!

GROUP B - ANAHEIM DUCKS (USA)

The Anaheim Ducks are among the few teams that are vying to win the Stanley Cup and the Champions League in the same year. The Ducks defeated the Rangers in six games to clinch a spot in June. 

This was designed by Daniel Lowry. He combined the past looks with the modern colours to create a good blend. And who doesn't love that logo?

image.thumb.png.b625b97c18fd694b47ad391e

I've been lurking in this thread for a little bit but have just now gotten around to commenting. I love it all! The uniforms, the backstories, the (I'm assuming) generated names for the stars of the foreign teams. Great job TWolf. 

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

To echo everyone else, that's a great era-mix on the Ducks. That's what they should be wearing now, even though their current jerseys are decent. Just out of curiosity, will there be alternate jerseys?

I flirted with the idea, but for the sake of consistency, I opted not to. If I ever do the 2023 version of the tournament, I may do alternates or fauxbacks. After this tournament is complete, I think I'll take a haitus from long projects and focus on smaller projects. Who knows?

Alright so Team #2 will be up at around 3:00 ET today, so I'll go ahead and post the schedule of posting and matchdays.

March 29 - Intro

March 30 to April 2 - Group A

April 3 to April 6 - Group B

April 7 to April 10 - Group C

April 11 to April 14 - Group D

April 14 to April 17 - Group E

April 18 to April 21 - Group F

April 23 - Group A Summary and Scores

April 24 - Group B Summary and Scores

April 25 - Group C Summary and Scores

April 26 - Group D Summary and Scores

April 27 - Group E Summary and Scores

April 28 - Group F Summary and Scores

April 30 - Round of 16 Announced

May 1 - Round of 16 Matchday 1

May 2 - Round of 16 Matchday 2

May 3 - Round of 16 Matchday 3

May 4 - Quarter Finals Announced

May 5 - Quarter Finals Matchday 1

May 6 - Quarter Finals Matchday 2

May 7 - Quarter Finals Matchday 3

May 8 - Semi Finals Announced

May 9 - Semi Finals Matchday 1

May 10 - Semi Finals Matchday 2

May 11 - Semi Finals Matchday 3

May 12 - Championship Series Announced

May 13 - Championship Game 1

May 15 - Championship Game 2

May 17 - Championship Game 3

May 18 - RECAP

Stay tuned for Group B - Team #2...

GROUP B - FROLUNDA HOCKEY (Sweden)

Frolunda joins Anaheim in list of champions that were draw into the same group. Frolunda defeated the only other Swedish team who qualified in five games in the finals. Frolunda's jewel comes at the duty of John Hardberg, who's stellar 101 point season stunned the critics, who had laid him down to be a mid-70s player.

Frolunda takes inspiration from the Stars, where owner Kees Larsson played in the 2000s. The distinctive red colour, paired with their trademark green has become on of the best selling in the tournament. Another design by the talented Daniel Lowry.

image.thumb.png.3a9c39780025792a0c087bdb

Alright let's keep rolling!

GROUP B - DINAMO MINSK (Belarus)

Minsk defeated Belarusian rivals Porlito HC in the country qualifying, as well as a quarterfinal appearance in the KHL to qualify. Expected to be favourites of Group B, though in a tough group. 

Minsk will sport a very untraditional design that debuted in 2020 at the KHL's new outdoor series, created to emulate the Stadium Series. The swooping stripes and clean colours became very popular among KHL stores. In 2021, the team made them into primary kits.

image.thumb.png.eef373c125e423be2825cdce

Alright to finish off Group B!

GROUP B - TPS TURKU (Finland)

The Finnish runners up is considered to be a weaker team, although capable of bigger things. Coach Ted Hanagan, a Canadian-born Fin, has led the team to the semi finals and beyond for the last three years. Veteran Roman Yurkov is the resident goal scorer and is expected to be a match for the mighty Ducks defence. 

The design takes inspiration from Armada of the QMHJL. That wasn't the intent, but it worked so well with the logo. The bold chest stripe and balanced yokes made a classic and appealing set, IMO. Another by Daniel Lowry.

image.thumb.png.860bc500899a7cce4d8b3d19

Archived