NFL Draft Hat History?

CS85

Just curious - does anyone know when the NFL began officially issuing it's draft picks team hats?  If so, I think it'd be awesome for them to be catalogued either here or elsewhere.  Fashion hats and team merchandise on the whole can be kind of a slippery slope, but the draft hats feel more official than some of the rest.  

1989 - Barry Sanders - Looks like a mesh back with embroidered front script.  

ap-lions-sanders1.jpg?w=677&h=1024

1990 - Jeff George, Junior Seau, Blair Thomas - Green underbills (I feel like that's a traditional feature, but am uncertain), and embroidered script is basically the same as Sanders in the above picture.

s120502_16draft1.jpg?w=1024&h=675

1993 - Drew Bledsoe - White border on bill and team logo seems more prominently displayed. 

tumblr_m2zu7tPH2Q1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

1998 - Peyton Manning - can't tell much about detail but maybe wool?  Looks cheap/wrong size.

ap-nfl-draft-colts-manning11.jpg?w=1024&

1998 - Charles Woodson - same year as Manning, but cap has a different shape behind it and the bill looks to have a design as well.

ap-nfl-draft-raiders-woodson1.jpg?w=1024

-------------

From what I can see it looks like they may have started in 1989.  If anyone has any evidence of older official team hats being worn on draft day, that'd be awesome.  Better pictures of the hats themselves from the older years are hard to find.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well the Jaguars tweeted out this year's hat design

CezbeygWwAUsdEw.jpg

Not a huge fan...

I think the gray bill and "liquid chrome" logo are unnecessary. The undervisor pattern isn't terrible, but I have to think something more team/city specific would have been cooler. 

For the love of God, Archie Manning never turns down the opportunity to get his face in every picture and photo op, doesn't he? That picture was promptly followed with him flailing his arms and yelling "PEYTON IS MY SON! THIS KID RIGHT HERE WHO WAS JUST DRAFTED 1ST OVERALL IS MY CHILD. DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT?!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

NBA draft hat history probably follows a similar trajectory.  Late 80s / early 90s scripts, then some logos, and now some more inventive designs.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, OnWis97 said:

NBA draft hat history probably follows a similar trajectory.  Late 80s / early 90s scripts, then some logos, and now some more inventive designs.

Ugh.  I want a visual history of all major leagues draft hats now.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

The iconic script hat was a proprietary style sold by Sports Specialties (later acquired by nike) which did not change one bit for 10-15 years. It was basically the default fan hat for nfl/nba/nhl. All were adjustable and available in wool, cotton twill, trucker mesh, and my favorite...corduroy. 1st generation was team colors but they started to branch out and tweak the designs/colors in the early 90's.

Here's a few from the 1999-early 2000's... seems like teams with Adidas uniforms (Redskins, Chargers for example) had different draft hats than the majority of the league, until Reebok took over the entire league in 2002.

1999 (hard to see... I had a Redskins version of this hat, I loved it.  So even though the Skins were an Adidas team at the time, I guess they still at least made sideline/draft caps for them that the majority of the league would also use.  But as you'll see below, Adidas teams appeared to use different hats for draft day)

Mcnabb-Couch.jpg

2000:

9-courtney-brown-nfl-draft-bust1.jpg

tempAP00041601338--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jp

Redskins (I assume this is made by Adidas but can't see their logo)

image.jpg

2001:

vickfamily.jpg

copilot-style-201506-1434665784062_worst

Chargers (Adidas hat)

LT-2001.jpg

2002:

042512-sports-top-offensive-defensive-dr

2003:

042512-sports-top-offensive-defensive-dr  

90758391980.gif

26 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I had the same hat Peyton is wearing but in the Falcons model. Used the wear the heck out of it. Can't recall which manufacturer that is now. You can see their mark on the side but it has slipped my memory.

Logo Athletic... I also remember they used to make jerseys for some teams in the league. 

logo_athletic_0_82421.jpg

90758391980.gif

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 11:14 PM, phutmasterflex said:

Was this generic cap in place because an official logo had not been officially unveiled yet?

I think that might have been the case. I do remember ESPN used a placeholder logo for the Ravens. So basically, because the rebranding process took place quicker than usual, the real logos and uniforms wouldn't be ready until early summer or so.

Those 2001 hats are brutal.

twitter

Archived