Favorite design elements, All sports welcome

Sk2k

Quick to the point, whats your favorite design element that you love to see in a uniform or jersey? Any sport is welcome lads

personally for me, i love football uniforms that have the Colts style shoulder stripes, it looks classic and timeless but still modern and classy

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'd say that standard number fonts, be they block or varsity, are a feature that I favour.

There are a handful of non-block / non-varsity fonts that are very good: the ones used by the Red Sox (McAuliffe), the Blue Jays (original and current), the Cubs, the Bears, the baseball Giants, the mid-70s White Sox.  These have character.

But so many more are terrible and look awfully cheesy: the Magic's original font (on an overall hideous uniform), the Diamondbacks' original font (on an otherwise nice uniform), the ones used by the Nets, the Brewers, the Sacramento Kings, the L.A. Kings, the Broncos, the Pacers, the Hawks (the latter two in misguided attempts to match the numbers to the wordmark font), the Seahawks, the Steelers, and on and on.

When the New York Dragons debuted in the Arena Football League in 2001, they had some goofy numbers with weird extensions that were supposed to be flames (I think).  They eventually changed to standard block numbers, vastly improving the look.

01nyc-194x300.png    75457392-aaron-garcia-in-action-against-

The Orlando Predators have at various times had custom numbers with claw marks in them.  They always looked better when they switched to standard numbers.

600x472   predgrudens.jpg

Every one of the teams mentioned above would benefit from this move.  

The moral of the story is: when it comes to numbers, don't get cute.  

21 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'd say that standard number fonts, be they block or varsity, are a feature that I favour.

There are a handful of non-block / non-varsity fonts that are very good: the ones used by the Red Sox (McAuliffe), the Blue Jays (original and current), the Cubs, the Bears, the baseball Giants, the mid-70s White Sox.  These have character.

But so many more are terrible and look awfully cheesy: the Magic's original font (on an overall hideous uniform), the Diamondbacks' original font (on an otherwise nice uniform), the ones used by the Nets, the Brewers, the Sacramento Kings, the L.A. Kings, the Broncos, the Pacers, the Hawks (the latter two in misguided attempts to match the numbers to the wordmark font), the Seahawks, the Steelers, and on and on.

When the New York Dragons debuted in the Arena Football League in 2001, they had some goofy numbers with weird extensions that were supposed to be flames (I think).  They eventually changed to standard block numbers, vastly improving the look.

01nyc-194x300.png    75457392-aaron-garcia-in-action-against-

The Orlando Predators have at various times had custom numbers with claw marks in them.  They always looked better when they switched to standard numbers.

600x472   predgrudens.jpg

We've discussed this before. The Magic's original design wasn't bad, according to 95% of logo fans. It's just, like, your opinion, man.

7 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

We've discussed this before. The Magic's original design wasn't bad, according to 95% of logo fans. It's just, like, your opinion, man.

Careful examination will reveal that this is an internet message board, a place where people solicit and discuss other people's opinions while offering their own.

To wit: a hand-written font on uniforms worn by adults is embarassing.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Careful examination will reveal that this is an internet message board, a place where people solicit and discuss other people's opinions while offering their own.

To wit: a hand-written font on uniforms worn by adults is embarassing.

I'm aware. I was just messing with you a little bit. Suffice it to say we have very different opinions on that topic, and both opinions are valid because that's just what they are. No hard feelings meant.

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Also, hope you got the reference to The Big Lebowski.

I will admit that that flew past me.  

I am not a big movie fan. I dig the Marx Brothers, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Jerk, and Airplane; but there are so many movies that I haven't seen. Nevertheless, I usually know the references that come even from movies that I have never seen once these references have moved into pop culture. such as all the "Dude" stuff from that movie.  But I was not up on that one. 

I am much more interested in television, and likely to make references that come from The Odd Couple or Get Smart in my youth, or from Flight of the Conchords or Community from recent years.

15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I will admit that that flew past me.  

I am not a big movie fan. I dig the Marx Brothers, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Jerk, and Airplane; but there are so many movies that I haven't seen. Nevertheless, I usually know the references that come even from movies that I have never seen once these references have moved into pop culture. such as all the "Dude" stuff from that movie.  But I was not up on that one. 

I am much more interested in television, and likely to make references that come from The Odd Couple or Get Smart in my youth, or from Flight of the Conchords or Community from recent years.

The Jerk is a great movie. Airplane! is even better---that, the Naked Gun films, and The Stupids (similar humor but a kids' movie) are among the funniest films of all time in my book. Have you ever seen the TV show Police Squad!, from which the characters of Naked Gun were taken? It only lasted six episodes but it was brilliant. You can watch all six on YouTube.

Anyway, we're getting way off-topic here. I've enjoyed our little chat, but we'd better get back to the topic at hand or the board admins might start calling me Shirley.

On 4/5/2016 at 9:01 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This post would also fit in the "unpopular opinions" thread, but I am with you.  I'd like two or three team per league to veer off of block and that's about it. I actually feel the Bears would look better with block, but those are classics and we know have been around since long before custom fonts became a must for any uni change.  

Fonts that look like they are supposed to have been swiped with a paintbrush are among the worst.  The original Wild was awful.  The T-Wolves after their original look.  (Actually, the Bears-like font the Wolves started with was OK).  I hate all that stuff and I wish teams did not have to customize their own font every time they change.

I really hate the very popular UCLA numbers and feel that the block they used was far superior (until the updated cuts made the entire thing a disaster).  To me, block is just "bold."  It's "serious."  I know that's cheesy, but that's how it comes off to me.  Once numbers get thin or loopy, they lose some "edge."  I am sure most people don't feel that way; it's just my own quirky perception.

4 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

The Jerk is a great movie. Airplane! is even better---that, the Naked Gun films, and The Stupids (similar humor but a kids' movie) are among the funniest films of all time in my book. Have you ever seen the TV show Police Squad!, from which the characters of Naked Gun were taken? It only lasted six episodes but it was brilliant. You can watch all six on YouTube.

Anyway, we're getting way off-topic here. I've enjoyed our little chat, but we'd better get back to the topic at hand or the board admins might start calling me Shirley.

I will tempt the wrath of the admins by responding that I certainly have seen Police Squad! and the subsequent Naked Gun movies.  (Uni tie-in: The Naked Gun is the only place to see Jay Johnstone in the uniform of the Seattle Mariners, a team for which he never actually played.)  

Naked-Gun5.png

You're a good man for knowing about Police Squad! So I hope that you are watching Angie Tribeca on TBS.  That series is in the Police Squad! mold, with the joke-filled scripts in which every line is potentially the basis for a riff. And it has mostly earnest performances juxtaposed with the occasional overtly silly character.  It also replicates the idea of an opening gag.  In Police Squad! this was the death of the character played by that week's guest star. In Angie Tribeca this is a scream that seems to be part of the theme music, but is then revealed to be done by a character in the first scene.  Brilliant, funny stuff.

Pinstripes and no-name-on-back of baseball uniforms, of course.

I love baseball wordmarks with additional elements like the Cardinals' birds-on-bat, Braves' tomahawk, or Astros' shooting star. It creates such a distinct a visually striking jersey Of course, it's best used sparingly - otherwise, it wouldn't be unique or distinctive - but it's gorgeous when well done.

Chest stripes on hockey uniforms. Ottawa would be the perfect candidate for this, IMO.

48 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You're a good man for knowing about Police Squad! So I hope that you are watching Angie Tribeca on TBS.  That series is in the Police Squad! mold, with the joke-filled scripts in which every line is potentially the basis for a riff. And it has mostly earnest performances juxtaposed with the occasional overtly silly character.  It also replicates the idea of an opening gag.  In Police Squad! this was the death of the character played by that week's guest star. In Angie Tribeca this is a scream that seems to be part of the theme music, but is then revealed to be done by a character in the first scene.  Brilliant, funny stuff.

Angie Tribeca? Never heard of it. If I had more time I'd have to look it up!

4 hours ago, nash61 said:

This may get me run off the board, but stripes on hockey helmets.

chris-cranejpg-554d4576a26e33cc.jpg

57866881.jpg

I always hated that these two schools used the football teams helmet stripes. While they don't have much else to work with, stripes on helmets are great! 

On 4/5/2016 at 8:29 PM, Sk2k said:

Quick to the point, whats your favorite design element that you love to see in a uniform or jersey? Any sport is welcome lads

personally for me, i love football uniforms that have the Colts style shoulder stripes, it looks classic and timeless but still modern and classy

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think I just like Ole Miss' football uniforms, period. I love the light-blue helmet, but their navy helmet looks good too. Red, blue, or white jersey, they always look good.

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2016 at 1:43 PM, MCM0313 said:

Angie Tribeca? Never heard of it. If I had more time I'd have to look it up!

Sorry for the off-topic bump.  But I couldn't resist letting MCM0313 and everyone else know that the wonderful Airplane-style absurdist comedy Angie Tribeca will be back for its second season beginning on Monday night on TBS.

Previous episodes can be seen on the TBS site.

primary_Angie-Tribeca-2016.jpg

I love how the new Panthers jerseys switch the arm numbers and the shoulder logos. The arm is a much better place for a logo, where it is facing outward rather than upward. 

PNTOzSh.jpg?1

On 4/5/2016 at 5:29 PM, Sk2k said:

image.jpg

Thank you thank you thank you ..... I love that color combination so much, I could just dive in and swim in it.  Too bad their program believes white jerseys are the only way to go ... they see purple as bad luck or something.

This old Browns orange pants scheme prompts similar 'Calgon Moments' for me ... though like the LSU purples, there's not many decent images out there.

wWVMDsq.png  

This is a catch-all thread, right?  I'm gonna post this while I'm on a coloration high ............

The two-tone schemes of the LSU Purples and old Browns orange pants look DEFINITELY do slay me, but there's also something to be said for the rare all-inclusive multi-color scheme that's designed as well as the Nuggets have had the good fortune to wear through the years.  They never win - the only one of Denver's 4 major sports teams never to have even played for a World Championship, but they do have one of the most unique and memorable uniform and logo histories ....

ah0Jmd9.png  

Archived