Sign in to follow this  
nash61

The Hockey News new logo

Essentially it's just the first letters, but it allows them to go with the standalone H for a partial logo.

NEW:

title_hockey_news.gif

OLD:

title_hockey_news.gif

I understand what they were going for but that's definitely a downgrade.  Change for the sake of change.

It's actually outstanding how they incorporated a hockey stick in the H while still using the stardard old english letters. Logo is perfect now.

13 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

It's actually outstanding how they incorporated a hockey stick in the H while still using the stardard old english letters. Logo is perfect now.

What?

That's one sorry looking hockey stick, if that was their intention...

Sideways move, though I do prefer the smaller 'The'.

When I look at it 3rd-4th times, it looks like Castlevania font.

Not sure whether I prefer the new font, but losing the outline is a huge improvement.

On April 8, 2016 at 7:09 AM, Gothamite said:

Did they always use that white outlining?  

Yeah, as far back as I can remember.

The logo is an upgrade. It keeps the spirit of the old one while removing the clutter.

They could have just removed the outline and it would have made a big improvement. The H, and N seems a little too gothic compared to the rest of the letterforms in the new one. It seems unbalanced that way. 

On 08/04/2016 at 7:09 AM, Gothamite said:

Did they always use that white outlining?  

Not sure.  I've got the 15/16 THN preview yearbook, the cover is white, though I just saw the wordmark has a thin black outline.  

There's no reason to have the "The" anymore.  Hockey News is fine.  "The Hockey News" is too much.

There's no way to justify calling this a downgrade.  It might not be much of an upgrade, but it's certainly not a downgrade by any measure.

In 2016 that entire style, even stripped from unnecessary clutter, just doesn't work for the cover of a mag that focuses on a pro sport.  They really need to rethink the whole thing.