A Swing And A Miss: The Most Wrong You've Ever Been Regarding Sports

FiddySicks

1 hour ago, dont care said:

That's one I forgot, I thought cam newton was gonna be a bust. With all the controversy he had in college I thought for sure he would be a distraction on his new team. And thought he would destroy his locker room. He is a distraction but it's for good/decent reasons like celebrating too much which is really small reason. He also greatly over preformed my expectations of him on the field. 

I think Cam entered the NFL at the right place & time.  I don't think he'd have been able to 'be himself' as much merely 5-10yrs ago.

Furthermore, with all due respect to Carolina, he's not having to play in a media hotbed for criticism.  Hell, even the NFC South is tame.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, 2001mark said:

That's pretty decent though.  There's a weird credibility to those virtual fantasy jerseys yet are real.

Like a Tebow Patriots jersey.  Conversation starter.

Besides being really cheap at AJ Wright's (I think maybe $15 spent on the two), it's the reason why I got a Joey Harrington and Joe Horn Falcons replica jerseys....conversation starters as well as not questioning my fandom for the Falcons.  Anyone can get a Matt Ryan or a Deion Sanders Falcons jersey and say they like the Falcons....who else but a diehard would get end-of-the-road players?

That Andy Dalton isn't completely lost on an NFL field is a total surprise to me. I thought he was another guy who the NFL game would just be too big, too fast, too complicated for and that really hasn't been the case. When the Bengals took him in the second round in 2011 I thought it was a bad pick, a huge reach, and I thought he was a total dork. He's 0-4 in the playoffs (maybe 1.5 of that's his fault though), but in the regular season he's got a better record and better numbers than any QB in franchise history. He's far smarter and more athletic than I thought he was. He's still a total dork, but I'll take a Jesus freak family man who can play over the alternative (Manziel) every day.

Plus, after the 2004-2010 Bengals were a walking rap sheet it's nice to have a team that is outside of a few guys easy to trust to stay out of trouble. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

And a recent one: I thought the Ducks were the biggest lock out of anyone to win their first round series and I had them in the Final. 

Welcome to the club. 

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, following the pattern over the previous three seasons, they were supposed to make the Final this year and lose, then win it all next year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've been wrong about sports many, many times in my almost-32 years. However, I think the most wrong I've ever been was less than two short months ago, when I picked Michigan State to win the 2016 NCAA Tournament.

On 4/30/2016 at 5:26 PM, BigBubba said:

6dba9aef0afc54e04b81aaa96945d904.png

Pffftt, we've got this in. the. bag.

Dead serious- had the Leafs gotten by Boston or gotten Montreal in that 4-5 matchup, I had them going to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Ohio State was going to destroy Florida (7-0 on the kickoff return by Ginn who then got injured during the celebration and it went all downhill from there without our most electrifying player).

Speaking of Ohio State, I thought they would get destroyed against Miami in 2002.

I have another one, guys. 

This was one that's really painful for me to reconcile. I was 6 at the time (I'm 20 now. Hence the 95 in my name... year I was born) and it's the reason I'm a NBA fan.

You see... I had watched a few Raptors games at that time on television. I liked watching a guy who would dunk the ball called Vince Carter. You may have heard of him, I don't know... but he was my main idol as a kid besides two other guys (Those being a goalie by the name of Marty Brodeur and a pitcher by the name of Tim Wakefield).

Anyways, my Uncle won 4 tickets to game 3 of the 01 ECSF against Philly. I went with him and my 2 cousins, as my aunt didn't want to go as she hates sports. Carter had a 50 point night (His best playoff performance), and from then on in, I wanted to watch every game of the series.

Now, you all know what happened. Series went 7, Vince missed the game winning 3 & little 6 YO me was crushed. But from then on in, I've watched a lot of NBA games and a few other guys became players I adored watching (Kevin Garnett, Peja Stojackovic, Steve Francis & Dirk Nowitzki to name a few).

Now, cue into 2013-14. The Raps surprise everyone and trade a guy by the of Rudy Gay. I loved this trade, mostly for Greivis Vasquez. We met up against Brooklyn in that round. As the series went to 7, I bet 100 bucks on the game and predicted Lowry would make the game winner to revoke Carter's miss in the 01 series.

As you all know, he missed. I wept again.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

• 2 months later...

The year I was in college (2003), I took a gamble on my NCAA Basketball bracket and rode the horse called UNC Wilmington to the Sweet 16. Needless to say, that was a mistake and I think to this day, that might be the biggest wipe out in my life as a sports fan.

This past year, I thought Joe Philbin would lead the Miami Dolphins to a 10-6 record as a wild card and win up to the conference finals where they would lose to the 13-3 Indianapolis Colts and MVP Andrew Luck. Philbin was going to be coach of the year. 

1-3 record later and I'm screwed. 

wtpriate liked a post of mine from February 2011. Where I said TCU and SMU would never make it into the Big XII. I ended up being half right. As a fan of Gary Patterson and my best friend being in grad school at TCU, I'm glad I ended up only being half right.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

On 4/20/2016 at 2:50 AM, Discrimihater said:

I'd thought Rex Grossman was gonna be the first not-worthless Bears QB since Jim Miller (which says a lot about how many bad QBs I've seen in blue and orange..

I thought that he would be good as well. Heck, as a Denver fan, he may have been our QB if the Bears got Jake Plummer in 2003 (they were in the running for him). 

Archived