NBA's New Jersey Swamp Dragons/Fire Dragons

tron1013

Okay.... I've been wanting to create NBA conepts for ages, but have never found a template that worked for me. These look awful..... it feels like a mix between the Pistons and Raptors of the 90's, both of wish were way better thought out and had logos that felt strong. This feels weak.

Albeit, that "D" logo? That's really cool.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0408%2Fr72029_80

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The design on the side panels of the Kidd-era uniform was that of a net.

kenyon-martin-kidd.jpg

This is the uniform which the team wore for more than a decade, the longest tenure of any look in its history.  Upon the move to Brooklyn, if the Nets weren't going to go back to the classic Erving-style uniforms, then they should have kept this beautiful and dignified set.

The Kidd-era Nets were one of my favourite NBA identities of all time. Much underated imo.

And I think Swam Dragons throwback gear would be the hit nowadays.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

I never liked the Nets name myself (was really hoping for a rename to the "Brooklyn Knights"), but I am so, so glad this never happened. "Swamp Dragons" is bad enough, much less the rest of that proposed identity.

Regarding the actual eventual Nets rebrand in the 90's - I always liked that set, especially the blue "New Jersey" set. Not a big fan of the "Nets" wordmark from that set, or the double outline. The net pattern on the sides of the jerseys was quite inspired, and rather attractive. It was a solid set that could've been great with some changes. Ultimately, I think eventual Brooklyn Nets set is superior.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Holy :censored: .  Look at the uniform.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0408%2Fr72020_12

As delightfully hideous as this particular rebrand would have been, I do wish they'd have dropped the name "Nets", either then or in the move to Brooklyn.  Never liked it.

For those that think the cartoon Raptors and pajamas Rocket uniforms were hideous, this would have been 10x worse that either of those.

18 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

That whole set would have been outdated by the time it hit the hardwood. 

Imagine a 6'7, 30 year old having to wear that.

I can't believe they got as far as they did with this. It's basically like a stoked up version of what the Grizzlies wore and even those looked silly on giant grown men. 

reeves.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Also this gave me a LOLZ: "

SPOELSTRA: David called me screaming, "What the f--- is going on?" I asked what he was screaming about. He told me the vote came in, 26-1, in our favor. Well, that's terrific. What's the problem? He told me: "No, that isn't terrific, because the one dissenting team was you -- the Nets."

We voted against our own name change. I thought he was kidding. If your own team votes no, you can't go ahead with something like this."

OITGDNBA

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Okay.... I've been wanting to create NBA conepts for ages, but have never found a template that worked for me. These look awful..... it feels like a mix between the Pistons and Raptors of the 90's, both of wish were way better thought out and had logos that felt strong. This feels weak.

Albeit, that "D" logo? That's really cool.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0408%2Fr72029_80

Wouldn't be a bad minor league hat logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

My only thought about all that is, did they never consider just "New Jersey Dragons"? 'Cause combine that with a more toned-down logo & uniform and I think that would've worked a lot better, personally.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I can't believe they got as far as they did with this. It's basically like a stoked up version of what the Grizzlies wore and even those looked silly on giant grown men. 

reeves.jpg

Besides the color scheme, teal is a beautiful color btw, I can't find a single redeeming thing about that set. 

I liked the trend of making the logo really big and putting it on only side of the shorts. I think the right team could get away with that today. Other than that, no thanks. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

My only thought about all that is, did they never consider just "New Jersey Dragons"? 'Cause combine that with a more toned-down logo & uniform and I think that would've worked a lot better, personally.

It also goes well with the NHL's Devils. 

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

reeves.jpg

I loved the colors and Native patterns on this but they WAY overdid it.

1. Remove the cartoon from the pants

2. Have only the word Grizzlies in a basic font (white with black outline)

3. Remove the gold outline from the numeral

They even experimented with one logo that contained a bizarre, wombat-like animal.

O'GRADY: That wombat animal, whatever it is, sort of looks like a dragon. It was our attempt to salvage Swamp Dragons without anyone noticing.

It's gotta be out there somewhere.

EDIT: Do they even know what a wombat looks like? I think they have it confused with a regular bat. Imagine this thing "sort of looking like a dragon"

Vombatus_ursinus_-Maria_Island_National_

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived