tron1013

NBA's New Jersey Swamp Dragons/Fire Dragons

Say what you will, I bet half of us would have owned a Dragons Starter jacket

I can't help but wonder what would a modern day logo for a NBA dragon team look like. Other than just a basketball with the team name. Maybe something halfway between the Raptors and the Kings. But, the colors would probably changed to red, white, and blue sometime in the early 00's

This name change was actually announced as fact during an update on sports talk radio back in the '90s.  I heard it and said to my friend "WTF? sounds like a minor league baseball team".

Maybe it's because I'm looking at it in phone, but the center court logo doesn't look too far off from other cartoony logos.

I want the Nets to set up the New Jersey Swamp Dragons as a D-League team. 

That entire set is awful and amazing at the same time. 

That dribbling dragon breathing fire is a masterpiece. 

Those original logs were dreadful but with a classic rebrand approach like what the Raptors did...Dragons would have worked. Easily. Just lacked execution.

These would have worked (or similar). Better than Brooklyn Nets,Thunder, and like 5 other teams.

1323053551_dragons_sonoma_valley_boys_va

Dragons-e1421589675691.jpg?fit=542%2C422

My favorite part is definitely that they actually went through some kind of process to get East Rutherford to change its name to something like Nike.

As part of the Mets/Jets/Nets triad, it's clever. Were it anywhere else, it'd be lame. Context! Also, would you care to explain this?

WICHITA, Kan.-- A 36-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of child abuse after Wichita police say doctors found a small octopus stuck in the throat of his girlfriend's 2-year-old son.

Wichita police Lt. James Espinoza said that a 21-year-old woman returned home from work Tuesday night and found her boyfriend performing CPR on her son. Espinoza said the couple took the boy to the hospital, where doctors found and removed the dead octopus, which had a head about 2 inches in diameter, from the boy's throat. Police said the octopus was likely to be used for sushi.

You never disappoint me, Kansas!

On 4/8/2016 at 11:06 AM, Gothamite said:

Holy :censored: .  Look at the uniform.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0408%2Fr72020_12

As delightfully hideous as this particular rebrand would have been, I do wish they'd have dropped the name "Nets", either then or in the move to Brooklyn.  Never liked it.

I need this.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

latest?cb=20080304135515hqdefault.jpg

Still better than the Clippers logo. 

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

As part of the Mets/Jets/Nets triad, it's clever. Were it anywhere else, it'd be lame. Context!

Actually that's a good point. And really meant something when the Jets played in Queens and the Nets played just outside of Queens in Uniondale. Now with those teams in New Jersey (!) and Brooklyn, it kinda lost its appeal.

32 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Actually that's a good point. And really meant something when the Jets played in Queens and the Nets played just outside of Queens in Uniondale. Now with those teams in New Jersey (!) and Brooklyn, it kinda lost its appeal.

Indeed. It was clever at the beginning, now it's just stupid.  

Not to mention that "Jets" is a good nickname on its own, where the Nets are named after the sport's least necessary piece of equipment, one that's often skipped entirely.  Ironic that they went for a street-level look but are stuck being named after the one thing you often don't find on the public courts in this city. 

Yeah it's not even like a hoop. You really don't need nets to play. Not sure I can even draw a parallel in another sport - maybe outfield walls or goal posts? You can still play most of the game without them. 

I would hope that if a team moves to Newark they don't become the New Jersey Outfield Walls. 

The Newark Roths. Free piece of liver with every ticket. What you do with it is up to you...

On 4/8/2016 at 4:03 PM, mcj882000 said:

My only thought about all that is, did they never consider just "New Jersey Dragons"? 'Cause combine that with a more toned-down logo & uniform and I think that would've worked a lot better, personally.

No way. Dragons is a high-ranking KKK title. It would never fly as an NBA team name

250px-Washington_Wizards.svg.png

wait nvm

44 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah it's not even like a hoop. You really don't need nets to play. Not sure I can even draw a parallel in another sport - maybe outfield walls or goal posts? You can still play most of the game without them. 

I would hope that if a team moves to Newark they don't become the New Jersey Outfield Walls. 

Pittsburgh Pylons?

Orlando On-Deck Circles?

Philadelphia Possession Arrows?