Dice Racing Uniform/Gear ideas - Shoe concept

Guest darkpiranha

Guest darkpiranha

Let's try this again!  My apologies for the novella I wrote last time.  

I am looking for fun ideas to add to my 'uniform' template for my dice racing league.  The dice are the participants and I am looking for gear, uniforms, etc to add to my template to make it feel like a fully-formed league.  The 'sport' is that real world dice are rolled and the scores tabulated, however, the overall theme is to incorporate and/or suggest a wide variety of sports are represented.  This Dice Racing League draws on the aesthetics and organization of everything from Soccer to American Football to Horse Racing to Hockey, Basketball and Baseball.  

For my template, I want a uniform and gear to have lots of interesting surfaces and shapes in which to place logos, stripes, wordmarks, colors, etc.  

Here's a rough first draft of what I see.  Right now it's got a football-ish helmet and a racing spoiler as part of the aesthetic.  I'd like to incorporate more concepts from other sports.  Could be a pedestal, could be a banner, could be racing silks.  What are some other items that could be tastefully added to this template?    

Dice%20Racing%20Helmet%20test%20smaller_

I did this mockup in Photoshop, but for when I finally put this together, I'm going to use a 3D program to create everything so I can animate the scenes as well as have still images from a wide variety of interesting angles.  

Thanks in advance!

Guest darkpiranha

I've been letting this rattle around in my brain for the last day.  I like the general idea of the helmet, but I need to bring some more elements into it from other sports' helmets.  Football style cage?   A lower part more like a racing helmet?  A visor?  Goggles that would fit over the pips of the dice (which will be odd/amusing to see a six-eyed goggle for the six dice)?  How about blinders like on a race horse?    

What are some other common helmet elements I'm missing? 

Guest darkpiranha

I'm starting work on a 3D version of the helmet that will allow me to do a variety of styles, from sleek and dangerous, like motocross helmets, to massive and protective, like football helmets.  Some will be all in one, with the spoiler organically extending from the back, while some will be like Indy cars, with a raised separated spoiler.  Should be fun.  I'm going to even try to do an old school "leather" helmet from back in the very early days of Dice Racing.

Next up, while just looking at various horseracing iconography, a horseshoe kept on popping up, and I realized that this is another perfect way to incorporate other sports in a silly/cool/ridiculous way.  So the new square prototype for the diceshoe is going to be a cross between a horseshoe and a basketball shoe.  As it'll be mostly underneath, like a horseshoe, I'll need to figure out an effective way to extend the edges of the shoe up a little bit on the sides to allow for logo placement and other elements that suggest basketball shoes, especially over the last 30 years as shoes have become a collector item.  I suppose some can even have cleats, or maybe even hockey-style blades.  Dice Racing is theoretically held in a very wide variety of environments and surfaces, from grass to dirt to clay to concrete to ice to maybe even water.  

Here's the first version of a plain old diceshoe.  

Dice%20Racing%20Shoe%20test%201_zps5toif

Archived