2016 NHL Playoffs, Rite of Spring: "You thought God was an architect"

ninersdd

8 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Flyers got one back. Caps didn't play too terribly well tonight but Michal Neuvirth looked other-worldly in goal. 

3-1 heading to Verizon Center on Friday. 

I was glad to see the Flyers steal one at home. It would be nice to take one in Washington, too. However, I don't think that'll happen.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, cmm said:

They took action and suspended Krys Barch when he used a racial slur in reference to PK Subban. Homophobia and racism both have no place in sports, no matter what the bible thumpers think.

I'm just saying, that there's other offensive words that lots of players have used, and only these are the one that get called out. Now I agree it's wrong to call someone with a sexual or racist slur, but it seems like he could have called the ref almost anything else, and the NHL wouldn't have batted an eye. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

14 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I'm just saying, that there's other offensive words that lots of players have used, and only these are the one that get called out. Now I agree it's wrong to call someone with a sexual or racist slur, but it seems like he could have called the ref almost anything else, and the NHL wouldn't have batted an eye. 

If you don't see the difference between a slur and a term like "Ass Hole", I don't know what to tell you, Not to mention that your original post simply said "any other swear word."  If a guy does not like a call or something does not go his way and lets out an "F-bomb" that's not even close to the same thing as a slur.  

I work in a professional world and we really should not use slurs or swear.  But a four letter word that starts with "S" comes out every now and then.  You don't want to do it because some people don't like it (you could call those people "PC" but since they don't tend towards the left, we don't).  And I don't.  Still, a word like that is not an insult to any type of people.  There's a huge difference.  Players should be professional and conduct themselves as such; so you are partly right, calling the ref an ass hole would not be cool.  And if the league wants to discipline that, it's OK by me.  But there are degrees.  And a slur is a higher degree of a problem (be it league image or who it impacts) than a "general insult that you cannot say on TV."

Calling a slur "swearing" misses the point.  It's not swearing.  It's an implication that someone is lesser in some way. Or, in this case, that the ref ain't cool so I'll suggest he's gay because that's somehow supposed to reduce him.  

20 years ago "f----t" was viewed by most as a swear word.  Now it's much closer to the N-word than it is to the F-word.  As it should be.  

Perhaps if Shaw thinks about his attraction to women and lack-thereof to men, he can feel more secure and not need to prove his "masculinity" to himself and others by accusing others of being gay.  Then he'll look like less of a meat-head. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

32 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Calling a slur "swearing" misses the point.  It's not swearing.  It's an implication that someone is lesser in some way. Or, in this case, that the ref ain't cool so I'll suggest he's gay because that's somehow supposed to reduce him.  

I think that's the crux of this whole thing. 

Now I don't think Shaw is a homophobe and I would wager most people who do what he did or say "That's so gay" aren't saying it to directly and intentionally demean gay people, but using a slur as a synonym for bad does imply what you said.

IbjBaeE.png

6 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think that's the crux of this whole thing. 

Now I don't think Shaw is a homophobe and I would wager most people who do what he did or say "That's so gay" aren't saying it to directly and intentionally demean gay people, but using a slur as a synonym for bad does imply what you said.

I totally did that when I was a kid/young adult.  In defense of myself, there was virtually no backlash and I therefore gave it almost no thought.  So if I said something "dumb" was "gay" I really did not mean anything by it.  However, language matters and stuff like that seeps into the collective conscience. To a degree (what degree, I don't know) it perpetuates the "gay is bad" thing.

Further, I also used to call people f----t back in the day.  The intent there was worse; I was not exactly savvy with the ladies and accusing people of being gay made me feel better that nobody would think was gay (god forbid, right).  Again, if you'd responded with "so, being gay is bad?"  I would probably have not even had a good answer; I was not actually thinking about whether it was bad or not. But stuff like that is a huge contributor to how we treat people when it really matters.  

And Shaw at this point has had the benefit of a world that recognizes why this is bad.  If he dropped an N-word, 80% of us (the greater us) would be calling him a racist (the rest being White Warriors upset that they cannot use the word).  How different is this?  I can acknowledge that there is more history of "thoughtlessly" using terms as "general" insults, but at this point, people need to do better.  If he truly is not a homophobe, he should have no trouble learning from this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Everyone knows it was wrong. No one thinks he should go unpunished. But I'm not going to compete with people to show how ready I am to walk away from the Blackhawks and hockey because a guy got pissed off and yelled at another guy, not in a sport where guys get pissed off and injure other guys. It sucks, it was embarrassing, he got punished, good, but drop the kabuki. Anyone being that over the top is atoning or working an angle. I don't trust them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Quenneville switching with the Blackhawks lines and putting Panik-Toews-Kane on the first line and Ladd-Kruger-Hossa on the third. I feel like he's done this before and it's paid off, but I also feel like it's a little too late. Stay tuned.

How bout we just call gay people "Shaws?" Would that help?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

1 hour ago, BayouJim said:

Quenneville switching with the Blackhawks lines and putting Panik-Toews-Kane on the first line and Ladd-Kruger-Hossa on the third. I feel like he's done this before and it's paid off, but I also feel like it's a little too late. Stay tuned.

It is never too late.  You have the Blackhawks, recent winners.  You have the Blues; who never succeed in the playoffs.  It's not too late until the final horn the Blues' 4th win.  

(Same applies to Kings/Sharks).

Honestly, at this point if I could win $1 Million to pick the correct winner between the Blackhawks and Blues, I am not sure who I'd pick.  (Same applies to Kings/Sharks).

POTD (Shared)

12 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Is it really a shock that certain people here are actually upset over the fact that Shaw is getting flack for using a homophobic slur?

It really isn't. I had someone on my Facebook compare Shaw saying "f----t" to the lines "gay old time" in the Flintstones song. Easily one of the more ignorant posts I've seen about the matter. I've used the word, as I'm sure other people have, but I was 12 years old. Once you realize what the word actually means, you should eliminate it from your vocabulary. Out of anger, I've said things I'm not proud of, but my go-to words have never never been homophobic or racial slurs. I don't really see how you can defend the use of the word and the more people have defended it, the more ridiculous the defense has become.

Shaw messed up. He had a meltdown and he embarrassed himself. Some people just need to admit that and move on.

16 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Is it really a shock that certain people here are actually upset over the fact that Shaw is getting flack for using a homophobic slur?

For the most part, I think people here have handled it appropriately. Relative to the rest of the internet, I'd say we generally do. The extreme opinions on both sides are elsewhere.

I do find it interesting that the NHL itemized Shaw's discipline: $5,000 for flipping off the refs, one-game suspension for using the forbidden word. Why not just say $5,000 and a game for the whole outburst? Why not make it known that using that language will also carry a fine?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

40 minutes ago, the admiral said:

For the most part, I think people here have handled it appropriately. Relative to the rest of the internet, I'd say we generally do. The extreme opinions on both sides are elsewhere.

For the most part? Yeah. It's just not surprising to see who has decided to be "that guy" here. 

We don't seem to have any of the "I'm walking away from the Blackhawks/NHL/hockey because Andrew Shaw may be a homophobe" types though. 

9 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

This is a league where officials refused to work a playoff game because a coach called the ref a "fat pig".

35 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

This is a league where officials refused to work a playoff game because a coach called the ref a "fat pig".

Wasn't that because that coach got an injunction to circumvent the  suspension?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

9 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Wasn't that because that coach got an injunction to circumvent the  suspension?

That was the direct cause, but if someone tried to circumvent a suspension for a drug test or something, I don't think you'd have the refs walk out.  If the NHL hadn't suspended Schoenfeld, you would have seen the refs do something similar.

Archived