ninersdd

2016 NHL Playoffs, Rite of Spring: "You thought God was an architect"

Some serious inner monologue going on right there. 

So, Purple doesn't bother me or anything. He only peeks his head into the doorway of the few dark CCSLC corners I frequent. But if "blatant trolling" can be cited as a reason for other members to be suspended (NoHoJoe, #!@^!%!#? or whatever his name was), that dude's the definition of "blatant trolling."

I wouldn't care except that people think he's me and he's playing along with it. I would have done a more conceptual gimmick than "hurr i like purple."

Anyone see this great artwork posted on NHL.com?

His name is Ed Muranwinski, he's a professional cartoonist from New Jersey. I looked up some of his other art and it, too, is just fantastic. 

I really like like how he chose each team's best (primary) jersey, instead of simply sticking with the home (i.e. Kings, Wild). 

image.jpeg

In honor of the Florida Panthers making the playoffs

john-vanbiesbrouck-602x657.png

There's a lot of Canada in this montage from the CBC from a few years ago, but then again why wouldn't there be from the CBC? Still though, it's the GOAT for me as far as sports montages set to music. 

also I still love this: 

17 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Except that the first Sharks/Kings series was under the old format and the other one was two years ago (and I don't recall just having to "sit through"either series. They were pretty damn good. And I hate both teams.)... and we were one point away this season from it being Sharks/Ducks instead.

Stars/Wild is new. Isles/Panthers is new. This is only the 2nd ever Blues/Hawks matchup. Ducks/Perds just played once in the old system. Flyers/Caps is the first one since 2008.

Only Detroit/Tampa and Penguins/Rangers are repeats. I'd say Penguins/Rangers is the only series you could classify as tired, but even then I'd expect the script to flip from the last two times we saw it.

Eventually could it turn into the same old tired match-ups? Sure. As rams said, look at the 80s. But for now and this season, I really don't see this as a valid complaint.

Back in my day (early 80s), the NHL seeded the 16 playoff teams from 1-16. 1 played 16. 2 played 15. 3 played 14 etc.

I miss those days because it gave you something different and gave people a chance to see the top two teams in the league play each other in the Finals even if they were in the same division let alone conference.

I think the 1-16 seedings playoffs were in the very early 80s. I know by 1983, at the latest, they went with the top 4 teams in each division...similar to the present day format.

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

There's a lot of Canada in this montage from the CBC from a few years ago, but then again why wouldn't there be from the CBC? Still though, it's the GOAT for me as far as sports montages set to music. 

also I still love this: 

2013 was Peak Stanley Cup Playoffs Montage, because Tim Thompson knows exactly what he's doing and how to hit all the marks brilliantly. The guy made something good out of Imagine Dragons, ferchrissakes. So of course, he was one of the first to be let go when Rogers took over the deal.

Seriously, look up the end-of-playoffs montage he did to "Gimme Shelter."

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

2013 was Peak Stanley Cup Playoffs Montage, because Tim Thompson knows exactly what he's doing and how to hit all the marks brilliantly. The guy made something good out of Imagine Dragons, ferchrissakes. So of course, he was one of the first to be let go when Rogers took over the deal.

Seriously, look up the end-of-playoffs montage he did to "Gimme Shelter."

And now, behold, the kind of thing that sounds like the setup to a joke but is actually real, a Jamie Benn piece from The Players' Tribune!

Hockey players. We’re creatures of habit. Especially on game day.

My game day really starts when I get into my car and start my drive to the arena. I’ve got my suit on. I throw on my sunglasses. Then I crank techno music. Something about the bass filling the car gets my blood pumping. I know it’s business time once that music hits.

On the drive in, I’ve got to have the music on a little bit louder as I roll the windows down on the highway. The warm Texas air starts breezing through the car all while the Dallas skyline gets closer and closer. The adrenaline starts to pick up and the music gets turned up even louder.

When I get off the highway and closer to the arena, seeing all of our fans walking around in their Stars jerseys really puts me in the zone. Seeing all that Stars gear, that’s when the switch flips inside of me. When I pull down the parking ramp, I’m ready to go and all I can think about is walking through the tunnel into a sea of Victory Green.

When it comes time to hit that tunnel, that’s when I truly feel at home with our team and ready to give the fans a show.

It’s the best feeling. It’s the best time. It’s game time.

THIS IS A PUBLICATION THAT GHOST-WRITES FOR ATHLETES TO MAKE THEM SOUND SOMEWHAT SMART AND THIS IS THE BEST THEY COULD DO FOR JAMIE BENN. Everyone jerks off over what a "refreshing" and "empowering" website this is but even with serious help this dude sounds like a f-cking third-grader. The first draft before it got the ol' as-told-to treatment must've been

Me Jamie Benn. I drive car. I put on suit because me grown-up. Techno music loud. Gets me pumped like gym or club. It's hot outside in Texas. Buildings here tall. I'm so pumped. It's game time. bunching mox hehehehehehehe

I grow tired of reading the analysis from every fan site about why their team could or could not make it to the next round. It's like we get stuck in this understood neutrality every postseason series, where the homerism subsides to fans hedging their bets so they'd be pleasantly surprised when their team makes it through. 

I'm also pretty amazed more people don't think the Sharks can pull off an upset. I really think the addition of Martin and the re-addition of Vlasic make this team more balanced than the one that choked away 2014. You also factor in Hertl and Ward stepping up more this season in terms of possession numbers and contributions and an upset doesn't sound so far-fetched. The Kings blog JFTC think it comes down to the Kopitar/Thornton matchup and while the top lines usually neutralize each other, I think the Sharks have got some more depth than people realize. Then again, I try and convince myself this postseason is somehow going to be different. I mean, they couldn't have the best road record just on chance. 

I am so hyped for today. IMO postseason hockey is hard to beat across any sport. 

Things are are going to be tense around the house every other day for the next month (hopefully)

I'm expecting to be super-nervous heading into the game, then the Blues get out to a three-goal lead early, and I say "hmph, Hawks always boot the first game," and then start reading New York Islanders blogs the rest of the night hoping to feel better about that Game 1.

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Agreed. ?

Geez, this first series is like watching the Red Wings face off against themselves of an alternate universe. (Get it? Universe... like uniform?)

Screw it, I know I'm funny. I don't need some Grimace chugging cough syrup inspired gimmick like some people. 

Did a bracket. Guess it didn't save or something. Oh, well, it's to be expected; the new NHL.com sucks anyway.