2016 NHL Playoffs, Rite of Spring: "You thought God was an architect"

ninersdd

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I know they do it. I was referencing using Philly over DC, because they're both Comcast. But overall, it's a yearly complaint of mine.

There is really no reason for a national sports network to pick up a a team's local broadcast with announcers paid by the team for a national broadcast. I'd rather a simulcast from Canada (like they have done before). Or there is 14 other team's broadcasters who aren't doing anything right now too. You just need to pay them for one round, because its only a problem in Round 1 as local broadcasts are still allowed.

All fair points, but Jim Jackson and Bill Clement are really good broadcasters, and it's good to have two quality broadcasters with deep knowledge of one team and strong knowledge of the other. Sure, Mike Haynes from the Avs and Tyson Nash of the Coyotes aren't working right now, but what would they know about the Avs and Caps? Also, they're both bad at their jobs. So that's how I deal.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm a huge homer, but I don't think Joe Beninati is "auditory dysentery". Is he a good commentator? No. But I've heard worse. 

Tbf he and Craig Laughlin are probably the biggest homer announcers I've ever heard. 

Oh and the Caps won 2-0. Nice way to start. 

spacer.png

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Least excited I've been for the playoffs since probably 2008. I watched the games last night and they were some pretty good games and I felt nothing. There's just only so many ways to enjoy it when your team's not in it. The Columbus Blue Jackets have broken me. 

I feel the same way but because of the lack of Canadian presence this year.  No way it can turn out worse than 2008 though...

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Least excited I've been for the playoffs since probably 2008. I watched the games last night and they were some pretty good games and I felt nothing. There's just only so many ways to enjoy it when your team's not in it. The Columbus Blue Jackets have broken me. 

That's pretty much where I'm at. As I told the boys on BASS last week, "my NHL season was over ten games into the schedule."  I'll tune in for elimination games in this round and see where it goes from there. I can't imagine I'll ignore the best playoffs in sports, but right now, I'm just not feeling it.  

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

I know I'm a huge homer, but I don't think Joe Beninati is "auditory dysentery". Is he a good commentator? No. But I've heard worse. 

Among NHL television play-by-play guys? Who's worse? Steigerwald is a horse's ass, but at least his voice isn't as unpleasant as Beninati's. The JOISEY guy doing Devils games isn't great, but I appreciate the local flair for a team that needs it. 

I feel the same way but because of the lack of Canadian presence this year.  No way it can turn out worse than 2008 though...

It's a funny thing: the people who are rubbing it in the most about no Canada this year tend to be of a pretty liberal stripe, politically speaking -- the people gloating that the U.S. went 16 for 16 aren't exactly donning their "Make America Great Again" hats. Like I've said before, for real hockey elitism, don't look north, look south.

As for being down on this year's playoffs, I'm not yet in the swing of it myself, but then I'm spoiled. I have a ways to go before I put this year's playoffs on par with the fear and loathing of 2012.

No, Jack Edwards is good! Kevin Quinn with the Oilers is pretty bad, and one of the Leafs guys (the one who says SCURR! really fast) is bad, but not worse than Beninati, who is so bad that even the go-for-the-bronze NHL on NBC had to say "stop working for us."

4 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Oh man, Florida... those empty seats in a playoff game. Hell, it's an 8 pm start, so its not like people couldn't get there.

Maybe there was also an Angels game tonight.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Among NHL television play-by-play guys? Who's worse? Steigerwald is a horse's ass, but at least his voice isn't as unpleasant as Beninati's. The JOISEY guy doing Devils games isn't great, but I appreciate the local flair for a team that needs it. 

Steve Cangelosi is a Queens guy and even I can't stand his accent. I hope I don't sound like him.

Between him and Ken Daneyko, Devils games are virtually unwatchable.

Hey, who's doing Isles playoff games with the Mets in season? Did Howie go to the Mets and leave the Isles to Jiggs?

Three-point night for Tavares B)

No, Howie's doing the Isles games this round and the Mets are left with Randazzo and the insufferable Josh Lewin (am I the only one who hears his obvious lisp whenever he does a game.)  I've always thought the Mets have had a better radio booth than the Yankees but Lewin makes me want to listen to John Sterling.  Oh and nice win by the Isles tonight all the injuries are making me '93 underdog nostalgic.

I actually have no problems with Lewin. He's a huge improvement over Wayne Hagin, Howie's previous radio partner.

Just for fun, John Sterling calling the Islanders on the radio; thank the hockey gods this was before my time:

Archived