2016 NHL Playoffs, Rite of Spring: "You thought God was an architect"

ninersdd

Congrats to the Penguins and their fans, and congrats to the Sharks for a very entertaining Final.

But Justin Schultz lifting the Cup makes me very sad as an Oilers fan.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Flukiest Cup winner since the 2006 Hurricanes.

No way in hell this is sustainable in future years.

Enjoy your Cup all those loyal Pittsburgh fans who discovered hockey back in 2008.

Biggest bandwagon fans in hockey

Skip Bayless, is that you?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I thought this would hurt. I thought I would keep up that stupid gimmick I had through this thread and the regular season thread, but I have no urge to do it. I simply happy that the Sharks managed to make a Stanley Cup Final, and had a semi-respectable showing. 

Going into the season, I had them pegged for a first round exit or missing the playoffs. Seeing them get to the Cup Final was a treat. I wish they were "in" the series a bit more than they were, but I loved that they forced the series to six games. Forcing the Penguins to clinch in their Edge click-n-fill roads, despite what I said earlier in this thread, was nice it that messed with the Pens' playoff marketing around the throwbacks. As far as aesthetics go, that's a nice consolation prize. 

I still think the Sharks should go ahead with a rebuild, but not a "blow literally everything up" one. Something soft, something that adds a little speed to the team because hey, madman Thornton and Marleau aren't getting any younger. Sharkies, I'm proud of you guys.

27 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Enjoy your Cup all those loyal Pittsburgh fans who discovered hockey back in 2008.

Nothing. You're trolling can no longer elicit emotion from me. I wish to ignore you, and I hope other posters follow suit. Once you lose the joy you get from stirring up people's ire by posting your little hissy fits on these boards, you'll realize that there are better things to do in life than whining about sports. You are an un-account, an indistinct voice that can no longer suffocate conversation as you have done since you joined. Mods, if you feel that I've stepped out of line, please edit this post. Thank you.

I don't know about Sid as Conn Smythe. He didn't score a goal in two of the four series, including the Final. Crosby only had four assists in the Final. Yeah, he had two in the clinching Game 6 and had 5 blocked shots... but Crosby over Kessel? Murray? even Letang? I don't think so. That's the media putting Sid over more than anything else, but ok.

Anyways, the Sharks stay at the bottom of the California Stanley Cup totem pole, and this is a nice thing.

Finally, I don't like the Crying Jordan... But... This is a good Crying Jordan:

CkzPBAeUYAAwLYY.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

12 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

But Justin Schultz lifting the Cup makes me very sad as an Oilers fan.

Bonino, Hagelin, Lovejoy, and freakin' Schultz. Can't believe any Ducks fan would be happy with this outcome.

40 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

The 2012 Kings say "hello".

No sh*it. It's hockey where nobody goes back-to-back.

Again, probably the Kings.

6uXNWAo.png

Perfect ending to the absolute, start-to-finish sh!tt!est hockey season on record. It couldn't have ended any other way. Of course pittsburgh won. Of :censored:ing course.

I would've been more upset, but last night gave me a healthy dose of perspective and sporting events don't feel important anymore. Remind me of this when the Bengals lose a playoff game for the 7th straight year next January. I also accepted the inevitable Pittsburgh championship after they won game 2 so I've already moved on. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I don't know about Sid as Conn Smythe. He didn't score a goal in two of the four series, including the Final. Crosby only had four assists in the Final. Yeah, he had two in the clinching Game 6 and had 5 blocked shots... but Crosby over Kessel?

Kessel should have won it.  If he had though Toronto would be in flames right now.  

10 minutes ago, The Six said:

Bonino, Hagelin, Lovejoy, and freakin' Schultz. Can't believe any Ducks fan would be happy with this outcome.

Why not? Bonino was great when he was here, but we got a pretty good player in Kesler back for him. (And he wasn't traded directly to Pittsburgh. Blame Vancouver.). Lovejoy for Despres is about even. Hagelin I guess you could be a little bitter about because he didn't work here but really did for Pittsburgh (same could be said vice versa with Perron, but without the team results). And Schultz, man, I'm so over that. He got exactly what he deserved with the time served in Edmonton. (And again, didn't go directly to Pittsburgh. Oilers fans, I get that.)

And at the end it all adds up to no Cup for the Sharks. In a general sense, do I want Pittsburgh or Crosby to win anything? No, not really. But in contrast with freaking San Jose? I'll let the Penguins have this one.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 minutes ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

There is one minor gripe, they didn't win in their throwback jersey. 

It's true, because now all the Crosby hoisting promo stuff will have him wearing that dated white nonsense.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I've never been a fan of wearing alts or throwbacks in the playoffs (see 2003 Nets).

You have primary logos and uniforms for a reason. Glad the Pens won it in the gold.

6uXNWAo.png

Would have been cool to see the Sharks win their first cup but oh well, happy for Penguin fans.

Now who's ready for the draft and free agency and the announcement on expansion!? I am.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

9 minutes ago, worcat said:

Would have been cool to see the Sharks win their first cup but oh well, happy for Penguin fans.

Now who's ready for the draft and free agency and the announcement on expansion!? I am.

Draft: *shrugs*

Free Agency: *maybe*

Expansion: LOLNO

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I can't wait till Crosby wins the Jack Adams :rolleyes:

As much as I wanted the Sharks to lose, I have to give them their due.  No longer can they be referred to as chokers... ever.  They played a hell of a playoffs and a hell of a finals.  They were just outmatched by the deeper team.  Martin Jones was the real Conn Smythe winner in my books.  To the Sharks and their fans; you deserved a better fate and have nothing to be ashamed about.  Cheers.

Archived