Velocipedia

lopernv

Gianluca_Gimini-Velocipedia (1)

From author's website, context for picture above and project as a whole:

You might have noticed there’s something wrong with this bike. Or you might have not.

This bicycle is missing a very important part of its frame and it would immediately break if it actually existed and someone tried to ride it.

Let me explain everything from the beginning:
back in 2009 I began pestering friends and random strangers. I would walk up to them with a pen and a sheet of paper asking that they immediately draw me a men’s bicycle, by heart.

Soon I found out that when confronted with this odd request most people have a very hard time remembering exactly how a bike is made. Some did get close, some actually nailed it perfectly, but most ended up drawing something that was pretty  far off from a regular men’s bicycle.

Little I knew this is actually a test that psychologists use to demonstrate how our brain sometimes tricks us into thinking we know something even though we don’t.

I collected hundreds of drawings, building up a collection that I think is very precious. There is an incredible diversity of new typologies emerging from these crowd-sourced and technically error-driven drawings. A single designer could not invent so many new bike designs in 100 lifetimes and this is why  I look at this collection in such awe.

An interesting social experiment related to design.

Gianluca_Gimini-Velocipedia (4)

Gianluca_Gimini-Velocipedia (3)

More here: http://www.gianlucagimini.it/prototypes/velocipedia.html

On 4/15/2016 at 9:22 AM, Delayed Penalty said:

It's missing a cross tube between the pedals and rear axle. This is one of the examples of someone who almost knows what a bicycle looks like. Most are much worse!

Yep, those tubes are called the chainstays.

s-ciocc-90s-carbon-road-4817_1.jpg

Favourite part of this was going thru each bike and figuring out the way it would structurally fail. I think the Celeste-coloured cruiser is the only one that might work. Definitely would not want to go over a pothole with it.

Gianluca_Gimini-Velocipedia-9.jpg

Archived